Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much exercise do you get?

Options
  • 22-04-2007 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Just wondering if the leaving cert is putting in on people keeping healthy. Personally i'm doing more exercise now than the equivalent time last year. seems to be the fitter i am the more efficient i am at study.

How many times a week do you exercise for at least half an hour 34 votes

0% 0 votes
    23% 8 votes
    14% 5 votes
    20% 7 votes
    14% 5 votes
    5% 2 votes
    8% 3 votes
    11% 4 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭shazzyshaz

ashamed to say it but i get none apart from walking to school in the morning and back in the evening, 10min walk. its awful!! exercise is meant to be NB this time of the year. i think i may go walk the dog now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

why was there no option for "over 7" ? ...

If nothing else, I get at least a half hour walk/run into school every weekday. +plenty sport and hikes and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I haven't had regular sports/excercise since Feb when basketball stopped. I do some sort of physical activity every now and then, but meh, I'll pick up something in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

I find im doin as much exercise as iv ever done! Tennis/cricket everyday after skool, then go for a 30min run sat nd sunday. Im pretty proud of myself!! Its also much better for my study, i find i can concentrate on study much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Healthy body , healthy mind. I have keep with my gym routines and boxing and the like , its the best way to bust stress and sets you up with a fresh mind for more study. For anyone who says they can't find time , more like they won't make the time . Strange there seems to be a bit of a void in the middle of the poll , either people have keep up their high exercise or have given up on it altogether

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

I was going to the gym 4 times a week prior to last week, but I've stopped for the orals, and think I should really stop until the leaving cert. It takes alot of time each session and tires you out. Still, it's a horrible feeling, they say muscle can't actually turn back into fat but it certainly feels like it does!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

It wont start fading for about 3 weeks any ways so its all in your head. But weight can go on because you may be keeping your elevated appetite you developed when you went to the gym. But thats not the subject of this thread so apologies .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

True, but I'm trying to put on alot of weight regardless, so it's still not too bad. But yes, back to thread! I read a book on how to study once, in second year (about the most study I've ever done, ironically), and they emphasised the important of keeping up physical exercise coming up to exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Minor league's started now in the football, so that'll be a game every week for the next 4 weeks or so. I amn't training this year though, instead I might go to the gym. I'll be able to go at a time that suits me then instead of having to base my studying around training.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Pfft.Exercise.I have games to play it dammit.I don't have time for exercise.I swear some people.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

uhhh, does driving count? if so I'd pull a good 4, if not, a big 0. Which is terrible because, up to last summer, I'd a great exercise routine, went to the gym 3/4 times a week and got really into lifting weights too, so it's disgraceful that I haven't done a tap since September, especially with all the exercise machines we have here. Amazing too that I haven't gained any weight... always wondered why not, cause I'm not exercising and eating/drinking the same, parents say it's coz I've grown so... can't complain.

I totally agree with the healthy body, healthy mind part... started exercising a bit again a few weeks ago and the minds much cleaner now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I've gotten sfa since Xmas really. Used to go to the gym twice a week for about two hours/aqua aerobics on mondays but since I've quit my job I have no money for that stuff! So its usually just walking a couple of miles/using an ab-shaper. Starting Yoga in school for an hour once a week though.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

I used to do karate twice a week and also swimming but now until after the leaving its swimming and karate once a week......but after the leaving i'm looking to get back to karate even more than before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

fuinneamh wrote:
    Just wondering if the leaving cert is putting in on people keeping healthy. Personally i'm doing more exercise now than the equivalent time last year. seems to be the fitter i am the more efficient i am at study.
    LMAO, I just noticed that now. Brilliant. It seems your Irish oral practice has begun to influence your English :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I've kept a consistent amount of excercise: nil.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Im cutting back my gaelic training to once a week now, but that, include with a match, gives me over 3 hours anyway. After it finishes, it'll go up to about 7 hours, if not a lot more, very easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mikelowri

Have any of you tried going to the gym in the morning before school??
    it sounds like a difficult thing to do but once you do it you realise its worth it.it actually makes you feel better and if you can go to a gym in or near school you could avoid the traffic if u usually sit in it for long periods in the morning.
    getting a lift can be difficult tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

mikelowri wrote:
    it sounds like a difficult thing to do but once you do it you realise its worth it.it actually makes you feel better and if you can go to a gym in or near school you could avoid the traffic if u usually sit in it for long periods in the morning.
    If the gym was open. And even if it was, I highly doubt that I'd get out of me bed to go anywhere, least of all a gym, until at most a half an hour before the bus came.

Might start going to the gym for a half an hour run or something like that. Something simple, instead of a big 1 and 1/2 hour session in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mikelowri

sounds tough but dont knock it till youve tried it,although because i skip the traffic i dont really have to get up much earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭fuinneamh

cocoa wrote:
    why was there no option for "over 7" ? ...

If nothing else, I get at least a half hour walk/run into school every weekday. +plenty sport and hikes and stuff.

Really meant days of the week, is there any way of changing the wording of the poll? My exercise routine is quite similar to you as i cycle to school every day but on top of that i do 6 high intensity training sessions a week, but because of that i don't really count the cycling as exercise.

Don't know how useful it would be, find training is a great break at around 7-8 o clock period, splits your study in two and you are refreshed for the hardest two hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

About 30 mins a day 5 times a week and I am still not in excellent shape "average" or "fair" seems more applicable LOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭DtotheK

none. well i walk from my bustop to my house(2-3mins) .. very seldom walk the dog (20mins).

I like to watch sport... thats close enough for me ¬¬

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Assez Bien

I'm exercisin so much lately its crazy....its jus a way 2 avoid doin study....also i'm worried i cud become 1 of dem ppl who put on loadsa weight durin d exams!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I've figured it out, library is roughly a mile walk, walk there and back 3 times per week, yoga on Thursdays. It'll keep me going til I can run wild in July!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

PE is optional for us this year. Handy if you want to do study.

Advertisement