Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How well can dogs cope with heat?

Options
  • 22-04-2007 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

The dobermans obviously with their thin coat hate the cold and just like we peek through the curtains each morning they peek out the garage door first just to see what the day is like before venturing out.

However they seem to be finding some of the hot days we have been having of late uncomfortable. They obviously have a shady place to lie down and plenty of cool fresh water but I wondered if anyone has any tips about managing dogs and how they cope with heat. :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭andrawolf

My boxer is back and white, she loves lying in front of they fire but she dislikes the sun. Her water bowl she my kids old sand pit/swimming pool and on really hot days she will paddle in and out or lay in it. also she needs sun screen. I always use a kids factor 40. water resitant. I also have plenty of shade so she can get out of the the rays.Hope the can cool down:cool: :cool: :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Dogs seem to not be able to cope with the heat as well as we do.
    They need a sheltered spot where it is always cool in warm weather and warm in cold weather that they have access to all the time. Fresh cold water in a shaded spot. You could make ice lollys out of unsalted meat stock or goats milk. Cold carrots to chew. I think the Snuggle safe heat pads can also be put in the freezer and they can lay down on them to cool down.

The occasional spray of water on them too, some dogs love paddling pools.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

andrawolf wrote:
    also she need sun screen. I always use a kids factor 40.

A friend was advised by a vet to apply sunscreen to his cat's ears as they have little or no hair to block the sun. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

I put suncream on my dogs nose - I knew I wasn't crazy (my boyf thinks I am)...

up his hahaha

Advertisement