Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dual monitors and S-video?

Options
  • 22-04-2007 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

I have a BFG 8800GTX running 2 monitors on my desktop. The card also has s-video out, which I use to connect to a tv in the other room via scart, for the purposes opf having media center on the TV.

Is there any way to have all three running simultaneously, the dual monitor setup and the tv? I am happy enough to mirror media center from the second monitor, but I'd like to avoid having to jump in and out of the nvidia control panel every time I want to use media center on the tv.

I'm using vista ultimate, btw.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Don't think it's possible but I'm not 100% certain on that as far as I'm aware the GPU only does two outputs at a time a third will require a second graphics card.

Assuming you have a decent motherboard with a second PCI-e x16 slot picking up a cheap GeForce 7 GPU should not be a problem.

That should allow you to use all displays without having to compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭clubcrown

8T8 wrote:
    Don't think it's possible but I'm not 100% certain on that as far as I'm aware the GPU only does two outputs at a time a third will require a second graphics card.

Assuming you have a decent motherboard with a second PCI-e x16 slot picking up a cheap GeForce 7 GPU should not be a problem.

That should allow you to use all displays without having to compromise.

Thats what I feared :-(

Any software wortha damn to allow me to switch between the 2 setups quickly? Ultramon is proving diffficult, it doesn't see the svideo port.

Powerstrip & Ultramon are the only two I know of.

If your motherboard does not have a PCI-e x16 slot there are PCI cards will can also do the job like this FX5200.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭gorgo

clubcrown wrote:
    I have a BFG 8800GTX running 2 monitors on my desktop. The card also has s-video out, which I use to connect to a tv in the other room via scart, for the purposes opf having media center on the TV.
    QUOTE]

Hi,

I'm only catching on to the media centre bandwagon, I want to setup my PC the way yours is, is there any issues with using the s-video cable? (picture & sound wise)

Also, do you have a media centre remote if so, do you have the driver link??? I recently got one but it wont work???

HTPC forum is more appropriate gorgo.

But yes you can use s-video on your TV typically you can get up to 1024x768 or 800x600 on some standard definition TV's.

If you have a high definition TV don't waste your time with s-video your TV should have VGA/DVI or HDMI inputs which are easier to use and offer much better picture quality.

Connect up via your preferred method and go into the NVIDIA control panel multi-display section and if all goes well it will detect the display so enable multi-display and choose clone mode.

To route the sound from the PC into the TV you need a RCA to 3.5mm cable adapter. Some TV's with VGA input have a dedicated 3.5mm input for PC audio so just get a standard 3.5mm audio cable.

The MCE remote does not require a driver it is built into the Windows MCE and Windows Vista I assume you have the IR receiver that came with it ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭vir7ual

did you see the new cards from XFX with the HDMi output? now they'd be the job, 32" lcd playing stalker :D

Advertisement