Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C&C3 Demo

• 22-04-2007 5:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭

So, anyone played through the demo on the marketplace yet? Thoughts?

I didn't have any prior experience of BFME II (an RTS? On a console? Are you mad!), but when I learned that it was the same guys who are doing C&C and their control scheme for BFME II was pretty well received, I had a look at the demo for that game. Gotta say I wasn't very impressed. The graphics looked terrible in the demo and I didn't like the controller set up, so I didn't have high hopes for C&C on the 360.

But after playing the demo today & yesterday I can say I was definitely wrong. Its great fun. Graphics are lovely, and the controls are very intuitive after 15 - 20 minutes. I was waiting for this demo to decide whether I'd get the game on the PC or 360, and really I can see no disadvantage to the 360 version, so I'm going to get that for lovely HDTV goodiness.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

I was pretty much the same. Didnt know what to expect with this demo I but was pleasantly surprised. Granted the controller is nowhere near as functional as a mouse, its not to bad once you get used to it.

And the graphics are sweet. I have the pc game and the 360 demo runs so much smoother and quicker( my computer graphics card is really poor though:p ). The demo is definitely worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

Cameron from House is in the demo, so it gets points for that : ) Apart from that I found it boring, but that's not surprising as it's not really my type of game. So, no real verdict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Thought it was great i like rts games mainly c&c and was dissapointed nothing came out on the consoles since retaliation because i prefer sitting on a couch playing them. Graphics look great on the 360 dont have the pc version cause my box is years old and no good for modern gaming. Only thing i dont like is not being able to drag a selection window over troops and it would be nice to slow down the movement of the cursor but nothing i cant live with. Cant wait to play full version, finally a game i really want on the 360, another nail in the ps3s coffin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Kristok wrote:
    Only thing i dont like is not being able to drag a selection window over troops

You probably know this already, but just in case:

It's not as handy as drag-selecting with a mouse, but you can semi do something similar. Select one unit and then keep the A button held down and move your cursor over any other units you want to select, and they'll automatically all be selected. I don't think it was something they mention in the boot camp, and its pretty handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭anto1208

Branoic wrote:

It's not as handy as drag-selecting with a mouse, but you can semi do something similar. Select one unit and then keep the A button held down and move your cursor over any other units you want to select, and they'll automatically all be selected. I don't think it was something they mention in the boot camp, and its pretty handy.

Yea i figured this out as well still pretty annoying when you want to get your 4 havocs into the war quickly as this messing about with holding A and tring to navigate over them is slow .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

Yeah I thought the demo was quite good but I am a bit biased mainly due to the fact that i Have rome total war and i really liked the c&c's on the ps1.Overall i think its class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Branoic wrote:

No didnt know that must give it a go see if it helps any. Hopefully enough people complain about this and they do an update down the line cause it seems a silly thing to leave out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Love the demo and fully intend to get the game.

Playing this demo has convinced to buy a decent size HD TV.
    Trying to play on a 14" portable and I just can't read the text ove each unit in the menu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

1st time playing an RTS on a console so took a while to get used to the controlls but really enjoyed the demo and will definitely get the full game.

Anyone try playing the multiplayer map on xbox live? Played it twice last night and from that experience console players are ****e at RTS games :D

1st game I won in less than 10 mins and the 2nd one yer man had obviously just gone all out to make mammoth tanks and if was any good could have counter attacked my base with the 3 he had built by the time i attacked and probably wiped me out.

That one thing that has me worried about the multiplayer element, will it be a case of 1st to build enough mammoths\NOD equivalent wins???

Another thing i'd like is if ye double click A on a unit it will select all units of that type, would make making squads of units of one alot easier.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

How long did it take you guys to download the demo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

MarkR wrote:

About 4 mins for me.

MarkR wrote:

A full day, and then overnight :mad:

I tried downloading it on the release morning and experienced major problems. It kept getting stuck or resetting. I restarted it about 4 times. Eventually I left it over night and that got it done. Frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Brianb8802

MarkR wrote:

Took about 4 or 5 hours about two or three days after it was released. 2mb broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

yeah took about 4 hours for me too last night on 2mb

Bastards. Mine has been downloading for two days straight on a 2mb line. Must check my nat settings or something. In short, I hate you all. :D

*mutter* Four minutes. I'll give you four minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

MarkR wrote:
    Bastards. Mine has been downloading for two days straight on a 2mb line. Must check my nat settings or something. In short, I hate you all. :D

*mutter* Four minutes. I'll give you four minutes

Well, I've a 16MB line that's super fast plus I'm probably connected to a German xbox live server which probably has good bandwidth :D

Bah Hamburg. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Annoyance! You can only download it with Xbox Live Gold Membership. This is something I will definitely be looking to buy when it comes out. I have to get the gold membership to make the most of this and PES

besty wrote:
    Annoyance! You can only download it with Xbox Live Gold Membership.

Some demos come out on Gold for a week or so before they're released for the Silver membership, but they do come out on Silver eventually.

I'm still having a blast with this demo. I haven't played online skirmish yet, as my home set up is a bit awkward and involves trailing wires through several rooms, so I only connect the xbox for downloads usually - but I'm having great fun playing the seconf demo mission over and over.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Scruff wrote:
    Anyone try playing the multiplayer map on xbox live? Played it twice last night and from that experience console players are ****e at RTS games :D

I take it back, got my ass whopped twice out of 4 games last night. :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement