Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drafts coming from drains

Options
  • 22-04-2007 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Nick Lawson

Yorky, I have just posted a thread about this elsewhere - are you having similar problems?
    Mine are the following:

I've noticed drafts coming from the vertical white plastic drain pipes for the washing machine and dishwasher as there appears to be no 'trap'. The pipe seems to go straight down into the concrete floor and then under it where it exits outside into a gully (the house doesn't have the usual visible white drain pipes at the back - they are all hidden underground) Therefore, all of the drains are openly vented outside but the only two which are drafty are the d/w and w/m as the remainder-toilets and sinks have 'traps'.

Does anyone know whether all drains should have traps and is there a legal requirement for the builder to fit them?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,439 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Does anyone know whether all drains should have traps and
    Yes.
    is there a legal requirement for the builder to fit them?
    Probably.

The simplest thing to do is just cut the pipes and fit traps at the most accessible point, that will stop the draught.

Don't fit the trap outside, it might freeze.

Advertisement