Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trip to the Saltees

• 22-04-2007 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Spent a fantastic day out on Saturday on the Saltee Islands. I won't cross post here, but the link to the pics and all info re getting there is in this post from the photography forum. Scroll down to post #4 for the rest of the shots.
    I'd highly recommend a trip there if at all possible. The bluebells should be out in another couple of weeks and the whole place will be a wonderful violet colour. I'll be returning again definitely.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Great work, looks good out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭King.Penguin

Yeah, I think I make a trip over the summer for some birdwatching/seal watching/picnicing/falling down rabbit holing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I can guarantee the falling down rabbit holes alright, the rest is down to luck I suppose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I spent a week there in 1980. It is magical at night when the Manx Shearwaters are coming in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

Two questions:
    - is it permitted to bring a dog to Great Saltee island?
    - is overnight camping permitted on the island?

If so I'd quite like to go there and spend a Saturday night there. But I don't want to bring a dog to the island at a time when ground-nesting birds would be vulnerable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I would imagine bringing a dog on to the islands would be the last thing the owners would allow or want, but bear in mind I am far from an authority on the place, just because I visited it once doesn't qualify me to talk on the matter.

You can find out for yourself though by ringing the guy.

I would imagine that the guy that brings you over on the boat would not accept a dog though.

Fair play to you for having the presence of mind to worry about the dog, some of the people on the trip got within about 6 feet of nesting birds, I used relatively long lenses to get myself 'close'.

Have a read of this page http://www.salteeislands.info/Visitors%20Page.htm

They are privately owned islands and visitors are allowed by the owners grace.

Best of luck with your trip.

Advertisement