Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Airport a joke?

Options
  • 22-04-2007 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

Just reading through this site www.corkairport.info , he does have some valid points, any time I've been through it it's be far from satisfactory in so many ways. Has anyone else any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Is that website run by the (in)famous Michael Grimes? Seems very similar to his other site :)
    http://www.kellstransportmuseum.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

It's Grimes alright, I countered a lot of his arguments about Airport Security on RedFM one night, he's irrational at best, and once he gets something in his teeth, he never lets go. I used to work for him at one stage when I was about 16. He signs one of the pages here :

http://www.corkdrivingschool.com/Scams/Cork%20Airport/Directors.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Ok , showing my ignorance who is Mr Grimes , what is is axe to grind.

Glancing through these web-sites they are nothing more than rants with spelling mistakes etc .

Is ORK really that bad ?

I have not been through there since the new terminal was opened , last time was 2005 , it was over-crowded , and you queued in the rain to go through p/port control, but hasn't the new terminal solved this ?

I used to love the fish tanks :)

I am a bit surprised there are only 2 airbridges , but a lot of the airlines like to use both doors for speed now don't they ?

Dr. Michael Grimes as he likes to be called has an axe to grind about everything. I've listened to him on 96FM and RedFM complaining about everything from Planning, to Forestry, and now onto Cork Airport. I've never understood why someone so passionate hasn't made an attempt at getting into Politics though, he could actually do some good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

"Cork Airport is a part of the Dublin Airport Authority run by a bunch of Dublin morons".

Somone who says something like that need a swift kick up the arse!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

The place is definitely up in a heap though, before they used to park the planes where the new terminal is and you had to walk quarter of a mile in all weathers to get to the plane, now they park the planes outside the old terminal and you still have to walk for an age to get to the plane, fair enough if its a safety issue but you'd think they'd have a bus or something laid on, its not as if they're shy about charging for things. The old terminal was a far nicer design too as far as I'm concerned, it was nice and bright whereas the new one is very dark. And there's no viewing balcony unless your flying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Davidth88 wrote:
    Ok , showing my ignorance who is Mr Grimes , what is is axe to grind.

Glancing through these web-sites they are nothing more than rants with spelling mistakes etc .

Is ORK really that bad ?

I have not been through there since the new terminal was opened , last time was 2005 , it was over-crowded , and you queued in the rain to go through p/port control, but hasn't the new terminal solved this ?

I used to love the fish tanks :)

I am a bit surprised there are only 2 airbridges , but a lot of the airlines like to use both doors for speed now don't they ?

Not if they can help it . Needs too much resources,dude to drive the steps,at least 2 people to marshall the people on the ground and direct them into the terminal.Much easier to shunt them all through the airbridge,one driver.no herdind problems.

junkyard wrote:
    there's no viewing balcony unless your flying.

That's a huge mistake alright, the old Terminal was full of spotters, enthusiasts, and just bored kids who were fascinated by the goings on at the Apron. It's such a pity we've lost that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Wasnt there something about there not being funds to finish the construction of the airbridges or did all the airlines refuse to pay to use them?

Looks like a nice airy terminal now though, seeing how busy its become it was well deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

ned78 wrote:
    That's a huge mistake alright, the old Terminal was full of spotters, enthusiasts, and just bored kids who were fascinated by the goings on at the Apron. It's such a pity we've lost that.

Hear hear. I always liked the old terminal tbh, from going there as a kid when it opened first. Happy memories. The new building looks good, but isn't half as intimate, if you get me. Even passengers don't get as much of a view as was the case before.

As regards the gentleman behind the sites mentioned, I think he lost all credence years ago as a result of crying wolf once too often.

Takes all sorts :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement