Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outline plan and Evaluation of sources(History)

• 22-04-2007 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭

I need to have my project in soon, but these section is driving me mad:(
    How do you structure this section properly?
    If anyone could help with this I would be very greatfull as These sections are the last to be completed properly.
    Also I have bit the bullet and I am now doing Ordinary level, so Should I change My RSR to Ordinary or Honours.
    My teacher says it "looks better" by doing an honours RSR even though I am not doing honours anymore.
    Will I lose more marks?
    *Confusion*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

I just finished mine today!!Took ages, but i'm sure i'll get full marks for the outline plan and evaluation sources, and most of the marks for the review of research thing.Anyways just go to RTE's website and download the History Research Project podcast.It has the author of some of the LC history books on it (think its the Irish ones....I know I use at least 1 of his books anyways) and he breaks everything down really well.Completely invaluable if you want good marks on the first 2 sections......and I guess it gives you decent enough info bout the review, although I wish they'd gone into more detail.Ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Ill give it a shot...thanks:)

You won't regret.It breaks everything done exactly (for instance without that I wouldn't have known that to get full marks in the outline plan you need to do 5 different things!!I probably would have just stuck down 2, maybe 3 at most).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Yep, that podcast is the business. History teacher said that that part of my essay was excellent and I just used all the tips the podcast gives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 _Ganondorf_

Link please? Tres worried bout mine project and I cant find this fabled podcast anywhere :(

• Advertisement

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/gettingitright/

Here ya go:)
    Its under the podcast heading.
    Just finished mine to perfection(corrected and all) after a History stint over the last two nights.
    And they say it should be finished in 5th year:rolleyes:
    Now, its time to learn the History course:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Im just wondering, what do you mean for the outline plan 5 points?

I have everything done but what sort of points are needed?

For the outline plan use these sub-headings.
    Outline plan:
    1 Define your project(explain what its about)

2 Explain why you chose it and why it is an important part of History

3 what you hope to achieve by the end of the Study, skills of historian,specific aims and insights into your topic etc.

4 How you will go about your research, Sources, drafting editing, notes keeping etc.

5 list your sources and give the title author, publisher and a date.

Try to fit these on one page.

Naikon wrote:
    Outline plan:

3 what you hope to achieve by the end of the Study, skills of historian,specific aims and insights into your topic etc.

4 How you will go about your research, Sources, drafting editing, notes keeping etc.

Trying to fit them into the one page is a bitch. Mefeels the one correcting mine's gonna have to have a maginfying glass handy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

Naikon wrote:

You can't just try to fit them on one page, you have to fit them on one page. That's all you're given in the exam booklet and you're not allowed to add any supplementary pages.

I finished mine today!! YAY!!!

• Advertisement

Yeah I finished it COMPLETELY the other day too.Am so happy to finally have it done!!!Am well over the word limit though.Bout 1750 words, although i'm just going to say its 1624.Theres only bout a half a page of space left in the whole booklet!!Ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 _Ganondorf_

Ugh all that stuff at the end about people rushing it and doing it at the last minute.. That's me! Haha :( .. Only done my first draft so far, needs alot of work by the sounds of things.. My history teacher made the essay sound a lot easier than that dude...

Just remember I was in the exact same situation 2 days ago:o
    U will be grand, just follow the advice from the book and my outline plan and it will work out...trust me I left it to the last minute in my class and Was clueless but now I am expecting 17-20% for the RSR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Naikon wrote:

Outline plan:

Jaysus, when ya said 5 points I was worried, but when ya said these, I breathed a sigh of relief. I'm actually surprised that everyone wasnt given this info at first, I thought it was the natural thing. Handed my project up today at last, 1526 words, time to start forgetting what I even did it on. Gonna keep my last draft though incase of repeats:D

Just so you know, you wont be able to submit your old RSR if you repeat:

http://www.examinations.ie/schools/S90_06_Repeating_LC_History.pdf

So thats basically punishment then...you have half the time to do just as much as everyone else? I dont inetend on repeating anyway...but ya never know, if the worse comes to the worse

Pretty much:mad:
    They also change the English course and others regularly to discourage repeating.
    At this stage I reckon I will never repeat.
    The Leaving cert isnt the only reliable method of getting into college...and no, mature entry isnt one of them.

I have had enough of School.....time to move on no matter what the outcome.
    But dont take this in a bad way, its simply how I have felt since the start of Fifth year.

NO GOING BACK!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

Hey my review is 250 words and my essay and review altogether is 1395. Is that okay, is it okay to 50 words over my review in this case?

Hey my review is 250 words and my essay and review altogether is 1395. Is that okay, is it okay to 50 words over my review in this case?
    Dunno how the hell you managed it, but yeah, that's spot on. I think the word count is meant to be between 1200-1500 words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

In the outline plan when writing about how you went about getting info, do you write like
    In order to complete my project i will go to the library or in order to complete project i went to the library

• Advertisement

In the outline plan, you never write anything in the past tense for one. You would say something like: I intend to obtain sources from the local library, the reference section of the county library.

Just something like that.

Mushy wrote:
    In the outline plan, you never write anything in the past tense for one. You would say something like: I intend to obtain sources from the local library, the reference section of the county library.

Just something like that.
    Serious? Ah ****. Guts of 15 marks lost already.

Why don't any of the bastards state what tense you put stuff in?

Serious? Ah ****. Guts of 15 marks lost already.

Why don't any of the bastards state what tense you put stuff in?
    Actually Sean Delap (the guy in that RTE podcast) said you were to write about how you intend to get your sources......so they actually do.

Actually Sean Delap (the guy in that RTE podcast) said you were to write about how you intend to get your sources......so they actually do.
    Did I say who I was referring to as bastards? I was on about the genius' who devised this research topic idea and decided to make it so confusing for both teachers and students that I've to find out either on a podcast or an internet forum about what I'm meant to do.

Well, when ya think about it, an "intended approach" isnt exactly going to be in the past tense now is it? Cant really blame the think-tank behind it all. Our teacher just pretty much gave us what he was given at in-service days, and if judging by some people here, it seems like mine is of amazing quality. Sorry to sound boastful aswell though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Yeah you seem to be one of the lucky ones Mushy. I still have not finished it . FOOK!!!!!

Did I say who I was referring to as bastards? I was on about the genius' who devised this research topic idea and decided to make it so confusing for both teachers and students that I've to find out either on a podcast or an internet forum about what I'm meant to do.
    Well aside from the lack of definitive information about the project, I think its fantastic that you can go into the exam with 20% already done.However whoever decided how the marks for the project should be split up is a moron.I mean the actual essay part should be worth AT LEAST 80%, with 10% going for both the Outline plan and the evaluation of sources.And for **** sake, if you want us to write a review at the end of the essay, give us a ****ing seperate heading for the damn thing!!

I thought you could put it under a seperate heading ....no?

I thought you could put it under a seperate heading ....no?
    Well thats what I did, but I mean they should give us the heading in the booklet, like they do with the outline plan.evaluation of sources.I just skipped bout a half a page from the end of my essay and write ''Review of Research'' in a different colour, and then wrote the research in there.

• Advertisement

Ok cool, thats what I am going to do. And I completely agree, they should have a seperate section in the paper.

Advertisement