Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pharmacology

Options
  • 22-04-2007 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Any personal information regarding this course. Read the prospectus and all but would like peoples opinion on the course or any other information they can give regarding the course?

Thanks.

Persy Handwash.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Lisapeep

Hey! I am a recent pharmacology graduate. Send me a private message and I'd love to tell you all about my experience of the course and to answer any questions you might have!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 PharmBoyUCD

I am in second pharm and i am only just begining to really enjoy it and understand the basic concepts of it. its not an easy course as there is alot of material and different systems that oppose and interlink.
    The lab write-ups are particulary difficult, so be ready for some 'pull out your hair' work. They can be very confusing, but as long as you read the book and go over the lecture notes, you'll get them done.
    At the moment, we are learning about cardiac pharmacology, which I am really enjoying. We learn what drugs treat certain conditons such as angina, hypertension, dysrythmias etc. Alot of the course is closely related to the medical field which is great.
    My friend was talking to a pharmacy student in trinners and ahe said that pharmacology was the hardest modules she did!! so that gives you a bit of perspective on it. I'm not too sure how true taht statement is but that's what she said.
    Also, you can get into pharmacy at the end of the cousre, so that an added bonus.
    This is is probably a load of rubbish and doesn't help you at all, so if u want to find anything else out in particular, just ask!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Lisapeep

It should be noted that if you do want to get into pharmacy, you will have to do another 3/4 year degree after your pharmacology degree! It's very different!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 PharmBoyUCD

Lisapeep wrote:
    It should be noted that if you do want to get into pharmacy, you will have to do another 3/4 year degree after your pharmacology degree! It's very different!

:eek: 8 years in college.......maybe not then...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I'm in 4th pharm and overall I've enjoyed it. There's a lot of reading involved in 4th year, and the learning is more self-directed than say chemistry, but it's quite enjoyable.

Any more specific questions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 persilhandwash

Whats the subjects like?

Whats the course like every year.....and problems or improvements....etc?

Job Prospects?

What the topic of Pharmacology entails or any different than how you first percieved it?

Whats the workload/uni hours like every year on average?

And any other information that you deem relevant.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭p-nut

Just out of interest, is the second year course very biology related? Like would i find it hard going into this having not done first year biology modules but all chemistry? I did get an A1 in leaving cert bio tho if that means anythin...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

check this thread out:D
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054980180&referrerid=&highlight=pharmacology

my thread back when i was in LC;)

cant really say anything at all at the moment,as most of the science(regardless any course relating to science,including meds/physio/biomedical) students are doing almost the same stuffs in 1st yr,to make sure you will have the enough basis to get deeper into the course next year:p

but i actually really like my mentor and some phar. teachers,very nice people,seen them in some talks that they organised for us 1st yr phar. students:p

overall,in a simple way,all you need to know about the course is,it is completely different from pharmacy(which is the different course that you see under others college etc. Trinity/RCSI...).

Pharmacology is apart of the course of pharmacy,maybe at least 1/4 through out their degree?as they are trained for being a professional drug detailer(yes, they do some business subjects in the degree),they have the license to sell drugs,obviously,like those pharmacists that you can see in Boots/any pharmacy shops.They focus on their patients/customers.

however ,Pharmacology students mainly focus on the drug itself:how drugs work,we wont have a license to sell drugs in the pharmacy,we mainly work in pharmaceutical industry,a pharmaceutical factory/company,we synthesize drugs instead of selling them.we do the background works.;)

above they are just the basis idea of pharmacology,people who do phar.(pharmacology or pharmacy) can end up in different aspects.

there are few more phar. seniors on the forum:D
    they maybe busy at the moment,but i am sure they will tell you more or you could PM them when they show up;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

mloc wrote:
    I'm in 4th pharm and overall I've enjoyed it. There's a lot of reading involved in 4th year, and the learning is more self-directed than say chemistry, but it's quite enjoyable.

Any more specific questions?

ah,this is the busy senior that i talked about:D

Advertisement