Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd Graphical Glitches

Options
  • 22-04-2007 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭

During my boot up sequence I'm seeing a lot of general weirdness, the text is usually gray but lately randomly colored letters, out of place letter and what appear to be bad pixels that disappear.

I'm thinking it's my graphics card correct? It's been going a bit mad like this for a few weeks now. It started with an blue screen about nv4_disp and went down hill ever since.

Any options? I've tried every driver I could find but the same things happen each time. :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Doesn't sound like a driver problem to me, looks like the card is defective.

Now the only sure fire way to know is to do a clean install of an OS if you have a spare HD handy you could do that but I think it more likely the card is at fault.

On a remote chance it could be cooling related but if it happens every time the system starts then that is unlikely again.

One other long shot is the system RAM is defective so check with Memtest+ just to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

try reseating the card too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Thanks for the advice guys. 8T8, I've tried a clean OS install and no luck. Did a 10 pass Memtest with no errors. How do I reset the card?

I'm pretty sure it's the card at this point as lately I'm getting a lot of artifacts in any game I play even ones that shouldn't tax the card.

Fecking card is less than 6 months old. Gggrrrrr:mad:

Just take the card out of the slot and put it back in again.

But it really sounds like something is wrong with the card if you are getting artefacts in game it really comes down o this

* Cooling failure
    * Defective component
    * Bad PSU - longshot if the card wasn't getting enough juice.

The cooling and PSU you can test yourself if you have a PSU spare you can plug into the machine or another PC & the cooling well take the side panels off and see if anything changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Problem solved. I took out the card to look at it and it turn out a small spider tried to make his home on it and died horrifically in the process.

Cleaned him off and all is well.

Thanks again for the help and advice guys. :)

• Advertisement

Silly spider better him then the card :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

ah so it was a bug after all ;)

Advertisement