Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Up and running (well, shuffling along anyway)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

rainglow wrote:
    8.2k run this morning which took me an incredibly crap 55:31.

Nothing crap about that at all, how many people can run a full 8.2km (not me anyways).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

rainglow wrote:
    8.2k run this morning which took me an incredibly crap 55:31. But I was pleased to get around the full distance without stopping after the walking debacle that was the Docklands run. It was a nice run though, perfect weather for it and I even saw a squirrel, which amused me greatly :D

I wore my HRM and kept my heart rate about 162 the whole time, which is a pace I'm really comfortable running at. Whenever I started to feel a bit knackered it was usually because my HR had gone up to 170ish, so I was able to drop back and keep going.

[edit]I just realised that 162 is 84% of my max HRM - that's kind of worrying that I'm so slow at a high heart rate (not a high perceived level of effort though, confusing)[/edit]

Hey rainglow,
    as regards your HRM readings of 84%, thats fine starting off I'd say as I have run for over 2hr a few times between 82%-88% etc.

As for your time, just think of everything as progess, times don't matter when you think of the percentage of people in this country who sit in pubs/watching tv when the rest of us are out trying to get healthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭rainglow

Thanks rovers! I really appreciate the encouragement (and can't believe anybody reads my log :o).

Since I couldn't get to sleep until 2.30am and even then it was a crappy sleep, I moved my run from this morning to this evening. I did 3.9k in 23:31 with an average HR of 172. It was tough and felt fast for me, but I'm pleased with it because I'm looking at doing a 5k race in the next month or so.

This morning - 9.25k run, 1hr 1min, average HR 162

I think that's going to be my last run before the MM....probably should have given myself more of a rest this week but I needed the mental boost of knowing I could do this distance.

Yesterday night, pilates. Tonight, tag rugby match. We lost, boo :(

• Advertisement

rainglow wrote:
    I have a poor track record when it comes to actually achieving my goals

Not any more!!!

I ran the whole thing, and finished in 1hr 7mins according to my HRM. Average HR of 165. The start was a bloody mob scene because (1) they let all the walkers merge in with the joggers, despite having us cordoned off in seperate areas :confused: and (2) half the people with joggers numbers were walking. I didn't actually get to run properly until after the 3km mark, so I think I could have shaved a few minutes off my time if I hadn't been weaving and dodging people all the way to Merrion.

After that, it was a great run - probably one of my best. I hit the 7k mark and was amazed at how easy I was finding it. I put this down to two things, both of which I learned from the sh!tshow that was the Docklands run. Firstly, I ate and drank the right things at the right times beforehand and secondly, I paced myself using my HRM. Best €60 I ever spent.

To top it all off, I finally achieved the elusive runners high; although in my case I got so overwhelmed that I also burst into tears!! It was pretty awesome though :p. I actually can't wait to start training properly for the Adidas 5 mile race now, I'm hooked!

And now, off for a celebratory burger and bottle of wine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

Congrats!!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

Well done!!

Sounds like you've made great progress since your first post. You should be proud of yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Congrats, now that you experienced the runners high, the bad news is you will be chasing it, the progression is usually something like, 10 miles, half marathon, marathon, then you get messed up on the more unusual stuff, and suddenly your into the world of ultra running. Good stuff its great to read about peoples subjective journeys, keep up the good work. Don't worry about your time, the trick for me is to remind me that I'm only competing against myself, unless of course a mate of mine is running;) But seriously you have come a long way, and don't forget that. Best of luck with it.

I was all ready to start my new training program for the 5-mile race tomorrow, but then I went and hurt my quad playing tag rugby last night :( Had a great game though so it wasn't in vain!

I read a great book called "Running for Women" and am planning on using this training plan. It's a lofty aim that I'll be able to run five days a week, but I'll do my best. The author specifically says to do the days in exactly the prescribed order so I'm doing it in such a way that the long run starts on a Saturday. There are 5 weeks until the race.

Sat: Long run (6m/7/6/8/6)
    Sun: 2 mile run
    Mon: Rest
    Tue: week 1-4: 4m pace run, week 5: 3m pace run
    Wed: 2 mile run
    Thu: 3m hill run (some hills, not all uphill!)
    Fri: rest

The pace run (according to the book) will be 1 mile easy to warm up, then 400m fast, recover for 200m (repeated), and then 1/2 mile to cool down.

I haven't done pace runs or hill runs before so it's going to be tough. Ideally I'd go down to the Irishtown track to the intervals, but athletics clubs always have it booked out in the evening. I might go to Trinity in the morning, although I'm not sure if the track is marked out properly.

Any comments, or suggestions for a good place to mark out 200-400m intervals in the D2/D4 area would be greatly appreciated! :D

• Advertisement

I didn't get my training started over the weekend, due to my leg still being tender on Saturday, and a hangover on Sunday. I've adapted it slightly for this week:

Today: 6m run (took me 1h 2m, HR 166bpm)
    Tomorrow: Intervals
    Wed: Rest
    Thurs: 5m run incl. hills (am going to do the actual race course)
    Fri: Rest

And then I'll be back to the original plan. Today's run was good, and given that I did it in the blazing midday sun on an empty stomach I was really pleased with my time :) It was so hot out today, and on the last couple of miles my HR kept creeping up into the 175-180 range.

I also still have a problem with being mortified running in public, due to (a) wearing leggings and (b) resembling a tomato, so whenever I have to run past people/ through a village I subconsciously speed up. I have to stop that as I end up knackered and having to slow right down to regulate my HR. Although I've gotten over thinking that people are going "look at the state of her" - they're more likely to be feeling guilty that they're strolling along smoking a cigarette while I run, rather than judging the size of my thighs ;) And I'm proud of those thighs; not everybody has legs that can keep running for over an hour, right?!

Attempted an interval session at the track today which didn't go particularly well - I hadn't realised how hard running fast is!! I know that sounds silly, but I've been working towards upping my distance at a slow and steady pace for so long now that my legs have forgotten how to go fast! I lost track of my exact distance but I was on the track for 30 mins. 1 mile to warm up, 0.5mile to cool down, and then I ran 400m, recovered and repeated in between.

My plan to go to the Phoenix Park and run the course of the Adidas 5mile race was scuppered by the traffic in town this morning. I mean, it rains ALL the time in this country but drivers still feel they have to drive at 15mph even in a light drizzle :confused:

Went for a run around my area instead - 4.24 miles, 43.27, HR 161. I guess that makes me a 10-minute mile runner, which is pretty rubbish. Must work on speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

rainglow wrote:
    I guess that makes me a 10-minute mile runner, which is pretty rubbish. Must work on speed.

Try completing 12 miles and get back to us, it's pretty insulting to other beginners to dismiss a 10 minute mile as rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Rainglow, I've been reading your diaries now the last few weeks, and I'd say we are on the same page. It's good to know I am not the only 10minute miler around these parts. Managed an 8k run this morning, and am also entered in the 5miler in the Park in 3weeks.

Just wanted to know which HRM monitor ye bought? as was thinking of upgrading my watch.

Try completing 12 miles and get back to us, it's pretty insulting to other beginners to dismiss a 10 minute mile as rubbish.

Oh come on, I hardly posted that to insult other people. It's a journal about MY running, not running standards globally. I was being self-deprecating, and the reason for that is because I was annoyed that despite six months running, everybody I have tried to run with has kicked my ass, including a friend who's been smoking for 8 years and does no sports. Hence me saying I need to work on my speed.
    Managed an 8k run this morning, and am also entered in the 5miler in the Park in 3weeks.

Just wanted to know which HRM monitor ye bought? as was thinking of upgrading my watch.

Well done you - you'll be well able for the 5 mile run if you can cover the distance already! Have you run on hills at all? I know they wreck me, and the course is uphill from about the 2.5 mile mark to 4 miles. Not looking forward to it at all! :eek:

My HRM is a toally basic Polar one that's just a chest strap and a receiver to be worn on the wrist...I wasn't sure how much use I'd get out of it so I went for the most basic model. Next time I'll be looking for more gadets though!

Today's run - 3.1 miles at lunchtime, 29:34. I had wanted to get up and do 7 miles this morning but I couldn't sleep after my 2 day hangover and was utterly shattered :(

Yesterday - 1 hour tag training, 15 minute jog there to warm up. If you had told me six months ago that not only would I be playing tag in torrential rain, but that I'd be enjoying it, I would have thought you were mental.

Today - 1 hour pilates class, 2.75 mile run home afterwards. Did it in 24:08 which is speedy enough for me - no wonder I was finding it so tough!

Tomorrow - tag match. Surely it can't be raining as hard as it was on yesterday...:p

Tag match on Thursday was good - we won :D

I haven't been able to exercise much...something happened to me personally which really knocked me for six, so I haven't really felt like doing anything, never mind go running. I did go to the gym on Sunday morning and tried to run on the treadmill, which was a disaster! It's so hard now that I'm used to running outside. I ran for almost an hour, and it must have taken me almost forty minutes to hit my stride. Funny how what's going on in the mind really affects the body.

Advertisement