Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does the mature student thing work?

Options
  • 22-04-2007 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

I started doing a course after the leaving cert, I did two years of it and basically lost interest, last September I started working full time, and continued studying the course by myself for the upcoming May exams, with the view to possibly returning to the course full-time in September 07.

Lately I have been thinking about taking up a course, that I probably would have chosen had I gotten a better leaving cert. Not full time though, one where I could work during the day and attend college a couple of nights during the week. Do many of the main Dublin colleges run proper night-time course as a substitute for the full-time day degree course?

What actually is a mature student and how do they differ to normal students? Like do they have to meet the same course requirements of lets say 500points with an B1 in Honours Maths, or do they sort of bypass these entry requirements? How do they apply, through the cao or directly to the college? I take it they must be 23 before a certain date, I wont be until Jan of next year, so I guess that rules me out until September 2008. What are the annual fees like?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Most of your questions are answered here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Nephew wrote:
    Do many of the main Dublin colleges run proper night-time course as a substitute for the full-time day degree course?

Absolutely. Most, if not all colleges run equivalent day/night courses. Doing a degree by night may take you longer than doing it by day. Also, be prepared to do up to 3 nights a week.
    Nephew wrote:
    What actually is a mature student and how do they differ to normal students? Like do they have to meet the same course requirements of lets say 500points with an B1 in Honours Maths, or do they sort of bypass these entry requirements?

Generally speaking, mature students do not have to meet the educational requirements - i.e. the points. Though it can depend on the course.
    Nephew wrote:
    How do they apply, through the cao or directly to the college? I take it they must be 23 before a certain date, I wont be until Jan of next year, so I guess that rules me out until September 2008. What are the annual fees like?

TBH, these are the type of questions best answered by the college themselves. As far as I know, to apply to evening courses, you go direct to the college.

Advertisement