Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how to get rid of blackheads

• 22-04-2007 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

gi guys
    hope yer all wel
    i have a lot og black heads on my nose and around it
    i consider myself to eat a healthy lifestyle and i excercise regularly
    so i dont know wat's causing them to appear
    i was hoping someone migh know
    and if u could suggest something to get rid of them id be very greatful
    thanks for your time
    ed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

I too need help in this department.Also lead a healthy lifestyle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭lezizi

blackheads are caused when sebum, the oil secreted from your pores, oxidizes and turns black when it reacts with o2 in the air.
    there is no cause as such, but insufficent cleansing can lead to a build up of sebum in your pore.
    you need to use a good deep cleansing facial cleanser or scrub to prevent them, also use a clay mask once a week draws out impurities.
    you can try use biore nose strips to remove the ones you already have, or steam your face to soften them
    also if you are using any creams and products on your face make sure they say they are non comedongenic, as this means they dont cause blackheads
    hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Clearasil do a good blackhead scrub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭eurotrotter

thanks for the helpguys
    wnt into a local chemist and got some blackhead scrub
    hanks a million working a threat, seeing improvements already
    but one thing i need to know, is a blackhead actually black, i no now u might be thinking wats this guy walking about but, the "black" has now been scrubbed off by the blackhead scrub, but there is like a dimple left behind, should i continue to use the blachhead scrub to remove this "dimple" or should i move onto something else?
    thanks again for the help ppl
    means a lot :):);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

those nose strips by biore and their warming facial wash is good - Once you've cleaned them out with the strips - you could apply Clinique "Pore Minimiser"

• Advertisement

thanks for the helpguys
    wnt into a local chemist and got some blackhead scrub
    hanks a million working a threat, seeing improvements already
    but one thing i need to know, is a blackhead actually black, i no now u might be thinking wats this guy walking about but, the "black" has now been scrubbed off by the blackhead scrub, but there is like a dimple left behind, should i continue to use the blachhead scrub to remove this "dimple" or should i move onto something else?
    thanks again for the help ppl
    means a lot :):);)

ya the blackhead is actually black, when the sebum hits oxygen in the air it oxidises, which means it turns black, if you feel they have cleared you can just use the scrub once to twice a week to keep them at bay.
    if you are left with open pores use a clay mask once a week, preferably one with kaolin and witch hazel in it. the kaolin will draw out any impurities and prevent pore blockages and the witch hazel is an astringent which will close and tighten the pores.
    but make sure you use a cleanser or face wash everyday to keep skin clear.
    I should be charging for this info ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭eurotrotter

thanks for the help ppl, especially lezizi!
    is there anything else i can use other than a face mask, cos i don't fancy that idea to be honest is there a cream or summit i can u se instead?
    lezizi wrote:
    ya the blackhead is actually black, when the sebum hits oxygen in the air it oxidises, which means it turns black, if you feel they have cleared you can just use the scrub once to twice a week to keep them at bay.
    if you are left with open pores use a clay mask once a week, preferably one with kaolin and witch hazel in it. the kaolin will draw out any impurities and prevent pore blockages and the witch hazel is an astringent which will close and tighten the pores.
    but make sure you use a cleanser or face wash everyday to keep skin clear.
    I should be charging for this info ha ha

thanks for the help ppl, especially lezizi!
    is there anything else i can use other than a face mask, cos i don't fancy that idea to be honest is there a cream or summit i can u se instead?

ya you could use a toner or a cream with witch hazel in it but you would need to use it everyday, or pore minimising moisturiser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 naturalessence_

Hi Eurotrotter,

You could also try steaming your skin once a week to the help banish the blackheads for good, If you cant get your hands on an actual steamer just boil a kettle of water & pour it into a basin/sink, holding your head over it & place a towel over your head to allow the steam open your pores. Be sure to use a toner immediatly afterwards to close them back up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Steam your face and most importantly of all keep your face clean. Tbh I'd be wary of those nasty Clearasil type products, think they can be quite abrasive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I took a course in makeup and skincare and was told the only way to get rid of blackheads it to extract them.. ie squeez the bast*rds.. not nice, very sore but there you go, your best bet is probably to go for a facial, although even that isn't gonna get them all out, unless you're gonna pay the girl to squeez them all day.. also I find steaming your face over a bowl of hot water and using a deep cleaning mask can help reduce the appearance of them.. hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

can anyone recommend a good clay mask i use the oatmeal scrub from the body shop which keeps my shin clean and shiney and free from gunk but this clay mask sounds brilliant.can anyone give a good manufacturer and whare i can purchase it. thanks a mill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 naturalessence_

Try Dr. Hauschka cleansing clay mask. Works wonders for drawing out impurities. Pricey but well worth the money, lasts ages. The last time I bought it was in Tree of Life in Malahide but have heard some health food shops sell it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

xzanti wrote:
    I took a course in makeup and skincare and was told the only way to get rid of blackheads it to extract them.. ie squeez the bast*rds.. not nice, very sore but there you go, your best bet is probably to go for a facial, although even that isn't gonna get them all out, unless you're gonna pay the girl to squeez them all day.. also I find steaming your face over a bowl of hot water and using a deep cleaning mask can help reduce the appearance of them.. hope that helps
    When you say "extract them", how does this get rid of them?? It doesn't seem to work for me - what exactly do you do, just squeeze or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

eurotrotter, the "dimple" you have left is the pore - the blackhead was in your skin and stretched your pore out, so now that it's gone it's just left a spotlessly clean, empty pore behind! Don't worry about it, it will snap back into shape before you know it.

The Body Shop sell a blackhead extractor tool, it's got a tiny round loop on one end, to squeeze the blackhead, and I think the other end has a little point on it, like a tweezer-y type idea. Never had to use one, but I reckon that it would get anything the Biore strip left behind!

Advertisement