Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ronaldo - Young and Senior Player of the Year

• 22-04-2007 9:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭

Just announced on SSN along with a very gracious statement.

Congratulations and well deserved for an unbelievable player.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

besty wrote:
    Just announced on SSN along with a very gracious statement.

Congratulations and well deserved for an unbelievable player.
    have spoken to people who have met him on nights out - apparently he is a really down to earth, nice guy. delighted for him. Surprised he got both though, as a doubt players would have voted for him for both awards. fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

While it's fair enough he got an award, i dotn think the same player should be able to win both. If you are nominated in the senior one, you should autmatically drop out of the young player award.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Kevin Doyle was robbed would have been 2nd ex-Supersaint to win PFAI :(

But well done Ronaldo.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Paul McGrath cant even remember a game he played for Pats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Apparently Utd got 8 players in Team of the Year too:

Van Der Sarr
    Neville
    Vidic
    Evra
    Gerrard
    Giggs
    Scholes
    Ronaldo
    Drogba
    Berbatov

Source: http://www.givemefootball.com/display.cfm?article=10271&type=1

Brian017 wrote:
    Apparently Utd got 8 players in Team of the Year too:

Van Der Sarr
    Neville
    Vidic
    Evra
    Gerrard
    Giggs
    Scholes
    Ronaldo
    Drogba
    Berbatov

Source: http://www.givemefootball.com/display.cfm?article=10271&type=1

van der Saar shouldn't be there, neither should Neville. I would also argue that Giggs hasn't been as good as the media have made out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Fair play to the lad, well deserved I suppose. Now let's hope it all goes to their heads and they end up with no trophies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Rio Ferdinand got in the Premiership XI, ahead of Carra? That's just plain wrong!!

Agreed. Who on earth writes this stuff? :rolleyes:

Rio FERDINAND - Manchester United

Another immaculate season from the elegant centre back whose casual gait belies a fierce determination to be the best, and he continues to prove why United were right to pay £30m for his services. His pace and reading of the game make him a stand-out figure for club and country. Fingers crossed on the groin injury.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Bateman wrote:
    Agreed. Who on earth writes this stuff? :rolleyes:

Rio FERDINAND - Manchester United

Another immaculate season from the elegant centre back whose casual gait belies a fierce determination to be the best, and he continues to prove why United were right to pay £30m for his services. His pace and reading of the game make him a stand-out figure for club and country. Fingers crossed on the groin injury.

LMAO, classic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Thoroughly deserved both awards he has improved so much this season. Great to see 8 United players in the team of the season too. All signs that the rebuilding is going well.

Slurms wrote:
    Rio Ferdinand got in the Premiership XI, ahead of Carra?
    too freaking right - better then carra, though different style of player. Carra is more like Vidic, but not as good, and Rio has been fantastic alongside Vidic this season.

Tauren wrote:
    too freaking right - better then carra, though different style of player. Carra is more like Vidic, but not as good, and Rio has been fantastic alongside Vidic this season.

:eek: . Funny man.

I'll never rate Rio, he just seems to be a liability, As for the Carra better than Vidic, I'll leave that for someone else to lambast you!

Slurms wrote:
    I'll never rate Rio, he just seems to be a liability, As for the Carra better than Vidic, I'll leave that for someone else to lambast you!
    United before Rio got injured yesterday...... fine.

United when Rio got injured: SHOCKINGLY POOR.

Rio isn't a liability, its the idiots put beside him (Brown/Heinze/Silvestre).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Tauren wrote:

Yeah he's great with Vidic but sh!te without him.

He's still no Jamie Carragher. Between him and Terry they are the 2 best centre halves in the league.

Sure they've even got Evra in there ahead of Carra. It's actually so stupid it's funny.The fact is, even just this year alone (2006 which is when the voting is for iirc) Carra is better than any of the 4 Utd defenders in the team.

tdv wrote:
    Yeah he's great with Vidic but sh!te without him.
    he's great when the person beside him isn't crap - like most defenders.

When Terry played for England without Rio in the team, neither Terry nor England looked as good - because every other england defender is like Terry - goes straight for the ball. Teams need a player that can sweep, and play the ball; there are none better then Rio at it; though sideshow bob at chelsea is pretty good at it too.

Every team is built on a sound defence; both defenders need to compliment each other and both players have to form a partnership. Put a crap defender beside a quality one, and the quality one will be dragged down, its bloody simple.

Stekelly wrote:
    He's still no Jamie Carragher. Between him and Terry they are the 2 best centre halves in the league.

Sure they've even got Evra in there ahead of Carra. It's actually so stupid it's funny.The fact is, even just this year alone (2006 which is when the voting is for iirc) Carra is better than any of the 4 Utd defenders in the team.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm not gonna argue Jamie's abilities as a CB over other players, cause we'd get nowhere. I don't rate him over a number of centre halves in the league, and wouldn't be able to convince you to agree BUT......Carragher is a better left back then Evra? Or a better right back then Nevilla.....yeah....right :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Im suprised Carvahlo didn't get the nod ahead of Vidic or Ferdinand. He seems to have held Chelsea's backline together in Terry's absence (less goals conceded than Utd too).

SofaKing wrote:
    Im suprised Carvahlo didn't get the nod ahead of Vidic or Ferdinand. He seems to have held Chelsea's backline together in Terry's absence (less goals conceded than Utd too).
    I'm surprised he didn't get the nod over Ferdinand (not over Vidic though), as Rio isn't a popular defender, maybe his fellow pro's appreciate him more then the media and opposition fans do. Ricardo has been fantastic this year though (better then terry imo)

Stekelly wrote:

To quote Mr. Wenger everyone thinks they have the prettiest wife at home.;)

The Muppet wrote:
    To quote Mr. Wenger everyone thinks they have the prettiest wife at home.;)

If you were picking the best 11 players for the England team, disregarding balancing the team, Terry and Carragher would be in it.

Stekelly wrote:
    If you were picking the best 11 players for the England team, disregarding balancing the team, Terry and Carragher would be in it.
    disagree.

Ferdinand is better then Carragher - he's just not the balls to the walls defender people love.

If Rio was from Italy, he'd be loved by everyone.

Stekelly wrote:

No they would not. (I would pick be Rio and Terry like the current and previous England managers did)

The list was voted for by the players so I suggest they know what they are talking about. I wouldn't have gerrard in there either would you

Tauren wrote:
    - he's just not the balls to the walls defender people love.

You mean he's not EVEN the balls.....

He's not the type of player that will put his face in front of someone shooting if they couldnt get anything else to it. Carra and Terry will.As out and out defenders, they are the best.

Neville hasnt been anything out of the ordinary this season either. A lot of people would achknowledge Finnan as playing better over the last year or two tbh.

So if all 4 Utd defenders got in, surely all of Liverpool and Chelseas defenders, who have conceded less, should be in with a shout, no?

Riise and Evra have both scored 1 goal each. So with Liverpool conceding less, what puts Evra ahead of him? Personnally, I dont think Riise is a great defender, but that team was obviously pulled out of someones arse so he's as good a chance as anyone.

Stekelly wrote:
    You mena he's not EVEN the balls.....

He's not the type of player that will put his face in front of someone shooting if they couldnt get anything else to it. Carra and Terry will.As out and out defenders, they are the best.

Neville hasnt been anything out of the ordinary this season either. A lot of people would achknowledge Finnan as playing better over the last year or two tbh.

So if all 4 Utd defenders got in, surely all of Liverpool and Chelseas defenders, who have conceded less, should be in with a shout, no?
    Rio's reading of the game, pace, passing, positioning and technique are all better then Jamie's, I would say his tackling is too, but he puts in slide tackles less. Carragher is braver, but there is FAR more to being a defender then sticking your head in the danger zone.

Oh, and Toure is better then carragher is too.

The Muppet wrote:

The list was voted for by the players so I suggest they know what they are talking about. I wouldn't have gerrard in there either would you

No, I would respectfully suggest that they are basing their opinions on coming up against someone for 180 minutes; that's the dynamic at work with this type of award. Most footballers I've ever seen interviewed don't admit to watching much football when they're not involved. Personally I always place much more stock in the football writers gongs than these, and that's not just because I hope there is more recognition for Chelsea players. Honest. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Tauren wrote:
    Rio's reading of the game, pace, passing, positioning and technique are all better then Jamie's.
    QFT

If anything, players will see less football than anyone. Seeing as they will be either playing or preparing for matches while others are playing. Based on MOTD you could put together a highlights reel to make any player in the league look good for an award (well, maybe not Titus Bramble, but he's the exception that proves the rule :) )
    Tauren wrote:
    Rio's reading of the game, pace, passing, positioning and technique are all better then Jamie's, I would say his tackling is too, but he puts in slide tackles less. .

Carra made mistake the other day. It was made a big deal of and joked about because it happens so rarely. Ferdinand scored an og because he didnt look to see if the keeper was actually where he assumed he would be before hittign a pass at the target (Glenn Hoddle like vision right there) and it passed off without much attention. People dont expect Carra to make mistakes and he delivers with very very rarely making them.

At the end of the da, theres a lot of people shocked that Carra isnt named in these awards things, very few would have been shocked if Rio wasnt there.

He did enough today. :mad:

Stekelly wrote:
    If anything, players will see less football than anyone. Seeing as they will be either playing or preparing for matches while others are playing. Based on MOTD you could put together a highlights reel to make any player in the league look good for an award (well, maybe not Titus Bramble, but he's the exception that proves the rule :) )

Carra made mistake the other day. It was made a big deal of and joked about because it happens so rarely. Ferdinand scored an og because he didnt look to see if the keeper was actually where he assumed he would be before hittign a pass at the target (Glenn Hoddle like vision right there) and it passed off without much attention.
    yeah - cause the never study the opposition in preperation for upcoming matches, none of the footballers know anything about the players they are going to come up against. why would they need too.....:rolleyes:

Bateman wrote:
    No, I would respectfully suggest that they are basing their opinions on coming up against someone for 180 minutes; that's the dynamic at work with this type of award. Most footballers I've ever seen interviewed don't admit to watching much football when they're not involved. Personally I always place much more stock in the football writers gongs than these, and that's not just because I hope there is more recognition for Chelsea players. Honest. :o

Surely you're not suggesting that the football writers (most of whome follow their own agendas) know more about about the subject than the players themselves. Personally I would put a lot more credence on the players opinions .

Tauren wrote:
    yeah - cause the never study the opposition in preperation for upcoming matches, none of the footballers know anything about the players they are going to come up against. why would they need too.....:rolleyes:

I said less, not noe. see look i know where that button is too.
    > :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

100% deserved!

(funny also to see the Pool representation in what was to be a "title challenging" season...always next year!)

Bateman wrote:
    He did enough today. :mad:

In fairness, he didnt do it on his own, Chelsea helped. I dont think they had a shot on target.Poor show.

Stekelly wrote:

Carra made mistake the other day. It was made a big deal of and joked about because it happens so rarely. Ferdinand scored an og because he didnt look to see if the keeper was actually where he assumed he would be before hittign a pass at the target (Glenn Hoddle like vision right there) and it passed off without much attention. People dont expect Carra to make mistakes and he delivers with very very rarely making them.

At the end of the da, theres a lot of people shocked that Carra isnt named in these awards things, very few would have been shocked if Rio wasnt there.
    If you look at the moment Rio passes the ball to van der saar, van der saar is EXACTLY where rio plays the ball, it is the moment Rio plays the ball Edwin moves - nothing he could do about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Tauren wrote:
    Ferdinand is better then Carragher - he's just not the balls to the walls defender people love.
    I agree with this sentiment. It's not a popular opinion to hold but he actually is pure class for 95% of his playing time.

Stekelly wrote:
    I said less, not noe. see look i know where that button is too.
    > :rolleyes:
    so - you would say watching match of the day is of more analytical merit then actually studying DVDs on teams and players compiled for the purpose?

• Advertisement

If Finnan and Carra played for Utd, they would have been in that team, plain and simple. Same, the other way round with Rio and Neville, playing for Liverpool they would have been left out and none of you would be batting an eyelid.

Tauren wrote:
    so - you would say watching match of the day is of more analytical merit then actually studying DVDs on teams and players compiled for the purpose?

No, which is why I said that watchign MOTD makes a lot of players look good. People that go to matches every week and to a lesser extent (you cant get a great impression of off the ball movement on Tv ) viewers will have a good idea of whos playing well.

Stekelly wrote:
    If Finnan and Carra played for Utd, they would have been in that team, plain and simple. Same, the other way round with Rio and Neville, playing for Liverpool they would have been left out and none of you would be batting an eyelid.

how do you know? just sounds like sour grapes to me mate

p_larkin99 wrote:

If they were named in the team I seriously doubt there would be any major objections tbh.

And If we are all honest , there isnt one team in the league that have 8 of the 11 best players in the league. As I said already, someone pulled that team out of their arse.

How many times is Given put on a pedestle (sp?) and hailed as the best kepper in the league here on boards, yet no objections from UTD fans about VDS getting in. HE's certainly not the best keeper in the league.

p_larkin99 wrote:
    i agree regarding finnan and neville. Neville hasn't been at his best this season, and he has been injured for decent stretches of it - don't understand how he got the nod really.

Tauren wrote:
    i agree regarding finnan and neville. Neville hasn't been at his best this season, and he has been injured for decent stretches of it - don't understand how he got the nod really.

i think thats absolute rubbish. Neville's absence is showing for UTD at the moment. he always makes runs forward which means that his winger (ronaldo - player of the year) is left only with the ful back. we have looked weaker without Neville playing definitely!

i think he's better both defensively and offensively than Finnan

p_larkin99 wrote:
    i think thats absolute rubbish. Neville's absence is showing for UTD at the moment. he always makes runs forward which means that his winger (ronaldo - player of the year) is left only with the ful back. we have looked weaker without Neville playing definitely!

So because he's missing and UTD are looking shaky at the back, he's the best right full in the league? Nothing to do with the other players that are missing? Or is the same thing going to be recycled for each player?

p_larkin99 wrote:

Generally i agree, but i don't think Neville has been at his best this season, and in fact, i think Brown put in some fantastic stints at right back at the start of the season that should have seen him keep the position.

Thing is no-one\s ever gonna agree on this cos everyone is blinkered by their views on their club. I dont agree with the list and I'm sure many people will.

Fair play to Ronaldo he deserved his awards this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Wow, this thread has taken such an UNEXPECTED turn.

If anyone here is surprised that the team that has been top of the league for all of the season (so far) has the most players in the team of the year, then well......

IF Liverpool were top of the league, then yes, Carragher and Finnan would probably be in the team of the year, but they're not, they're third and a hefty amount of points behind second.

Stekelly wrote:
    So because he's missing and UTD are looking shaky at the back, he's the best right full in the league? Nothing to do with the other players that are missing? Or is the same thing going to be recycled for each player?
    i think vidic being out is the biggest blow and rio's injury has made it a lot worse. centre back is a lot more important and tougher then full back imo. Brown could have filled in at right back handy enough imo, at centre back he has been shocking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement