Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ronaldo - Young and Senior Player of the Year

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

astrofool wrote:
    If anyone here is surprised that the team that has been top of the league for all of the season (so far) has the most players in the team of the year, then well.......

That still doesnt mean they have 8 of the best 11 players in the league. If we took a poll a week ago, I guarentte no-one, not eveb the most blinkered Utd fan on boards, would have put 8 of the team into a league 11.

Disregard Gerrard, he only get sin because he won a lifetime membership to the "team of the season" club or somesuch and proves the list is a crock of ****. surely then by you reasonign Chelsea, being only 3 points behind Utd and in 2nd all season should have about 75% of the players Utd have in the team, no? Plus, out of all the players in the league, there wasnt one midfielder or defender good enough to be included ahead of any UTD player? How have Utd dropped any points this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

p_larkin99 wrote:
    i think thats absolute rubbish. Neville's absence is showing for UTD at the moment. he always makes runs forward which means that his winger (ronaldo - player of the year) is left only with the ful back. we have looked weaker without Neville playing definitely!

But thats the point! He's been missing. You cant give someone an award based on what is lost during their absense. If United had better cover he wouldnt have been missed, does that make him a worse player?

Finnan has played consistantly this season at a very high level, and while Neville has also played at a very high level, he has missed an awful lot, therefore if theres not much between them surely its fairer the player who actually played the whole season deserves it.

On Carra and Rio, i would personally prefer Carra in my team as he will do everything in his power to help (and his passing is severly underrated as well, comes out with 40yard peaches every so often), but i acknowledge that Rio is very effective at what he is (even if i do dispise the guy as a person!) so its not too unfair that either one would pip the other. Though id have thought the pro's would have sided with Carra's passion, obviously they didn't.

On the rest of the team, id agree really, though would probably replace Gerrard with Essien. Now thats pretty unbiased eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Would've had Finnan and Carvalho ahead of Neville and Ferdinand.

Plus maybe Sidwell or Essien in for Gerrard.

Other than that its a good selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Stekelly wrote:
    If Finnan and Carra played for Utd, they would have been in that team, plain and simple. Same, the other way round with Rio and Neville, playing for Liverpool they would have been left out and none of you would be batting an eyelid.

I cant tell if you are being serious or just trying to wind up United supporters.

The phrase "get over it" comes to mind.

I wouldnt have Ferdinand in there either.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Stekelly wrote:
    That still doesnt mean they have 8 of the best 11 players in the league. If we took a poll a week ago, I guarentte no-one, not eveb the most blinkered Utd fan on boards, would have put 8 of the team into a league 11.

The week after we hammered roma? I'd have had the 11 in that week.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Ah let's take the Rio vs Carra debate elsewhere, this is Ronaldo's thread :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Stekelly wrote:

i'd have gone for the following:

James

Finnan,
    Ferdinand, (sorry, but i do rate him:p )
    Vidic,
    Evra

Ronaldo,
    Scholes,
    Essien,
    Lennon

Drogba,
    Berbatov.

So i'd have gone for 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Finnan is not better than Neville.
    Fergie would not play him ahead of Neville.
    Hell Benetiz has shown nothing but lack of faith in Finnan.

Carragher has been pretty good this season, not that amazing. His great performances normally come in the CL, not the league.
    Rio, Vidic, Carvalho have all been better.

I'd pick Vidic-Carvalho

Based on this season:

VDS
    --Neville--Carvalho--Vidic--Evra
    --Ronaldo--Essien--Scholes--Giggs
    Drogba--Berbatov

Competition?
    GK: Maybe the Bolton one, but VDS has been excellent this season
    RB: Maybe Finnan
    CB: Carragher or Rio
    LB: Cole? He's had a pretty **** year. Evra is a clear choice.
    RW: Lennon is next, but nowhere near it. Ronaldo is a clear choice.
    LW: Giggs is best, maybe Pederson? Robben if he got his game would be first, but he doesn't. Giggs is clearly first choice LW
    CM: Lampard, Gerrard? Essien and Scholes have been clearly the best
    Strikers: Maybe Rooney, McCarthy or Kuyt? Drogba and Berbatov are pretty fair.

The Muppet wrote:
    The week after we hammered Porto? I'd have had the 11 in that week.;)

you mean Roma?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

~Rebel~ wrote:
    you mean Roma?

Yeah I'm always getting the european teams mixed up , don't know why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Stekelly wrote:
    You seem to miss the difference between 'best 11 players in the league' and 'best 11 players of the season'.

Blowfish wrote:
    You seem to miss the difference between 'best 11 players in the league' and 'best 11 players of the season'.

Ok, seeing as I'm being pulled up on wording, swap "in the league" for "of the season" . point still stands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Stekelly wrote:
    So because he's missing and UTD are looking shaky at the back, he's the best right full in the league?

no, the reason is beacuse he IS the best RB in the league!

p_larkin99 wrote:

We'll just have to agree to disagree so.

to be fair, with the exception of Finnan for Neville for the reasons i said earlier, its hard to argue against the defenders that have kept 3 major competitions alive to this stage of the season - though i would have had carvalho in there, taking that into account as he's gone one better in being in 4. (Terry has been injured to much to warrent it imo).

• Advertisement

p_larkin99 wrote:
    but he hasn't been at his best for United this season, and he has missed a good number of games.

~Rebel~ wrote:
    to be fair, with the exception of Finnan for Neville for the reasons i said earlier, its hard to argue against the defenders that have kept 3 major competitions alive to this stage of the season - though i would have had carvalho in there, taking that into account as he's gone one better in being in 4. (Terry has been injured to much to warrent it imo).

Terry has played more than Evra and is just a couple shy of Neville. Sure Czech is only just behind Evra for appearances os should he not be invovled so?(I'm not getting at anyone in particular there btw)

There seems to be a majors top of the table bias one way or the other.The players themselves dotn seem to tthink there is anyone really worth a mention outside the top 3 in this case.

Evra doesnt have any real competition though. Chimbonda and riise have probably been the only real contenders..a lot of riise's games have come in midfield, and Evra has been a revelation this season. My choice for the back 4 would be

Evra
    Vidic
    Carvalho
    Finnan

<EDIT> Scratch that actually, I dont know how, but i totally forgot about Mathew Taylor - Definately put him in there! Fantastic season, some seriously inspirational performances.

marcus hahnemann
    435 (18)

steve finnan
    464 (11)
    ricardo carvalho
    449 (14)
    rio ferdinand
    447 (15)
    joleon lescott
    417 (24)

cristiano ronaldo
    566 (1)
    frank lampard
    542 (3)
    mikel arteta
    520 (5)
    gareth barry
    526 (4)

wayne rooney
    511 (6)
    didier drogba
    564 (2)

Probably just as well the actim stats arnt used to pick the team.:) Few unhappy campers then I reckon. What position is Taylor in in Fantasy PL? He's in the list of top 5 defenders at no 2 behind Finnan with Lescott 5th, but they have Lescott inthe team before him.

VDS is 5th on the GK list btw.

actually, lets not ever talk of actim stats again, El Hadj Diouff is 5th on the list of strikers. If that man ever gets near an awards ceremony we should all walk away from supporting football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Dodgy selections in the team of the year imo would be... Van de Sar, Gerrard. Would put Matt Taylor ahead of Evra.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Jesus the difference between Rio and Carra is simple both can defend but only one can play football.

Given a choice i would take the guy who can defend and play football, a lot of people hate Rio but he reads the game well tackles well (how many yellows) and can play football.

Carra is a last gasp defender like Terry protected by a good midfield , Rio doesnt have that luxury its always one on one with him. Put either of those 2 in an attacking side and you see how good they really are.

But then again this is boards so Liverpool ftw!!!

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Bateman wrote:
    Agreed. Who on earth writes this stuff? :rolleyes:

Rio FERDINAND - Manchester United

Another immaculate season from the elegant centre back whose casual gait belies a fierce determination to be the best, and he continues to prove why United were right to pay £30m for his services. His pace and reading of the game make him a stand-out figure for club and country. Fingers crossed on the groin injury.

Haha, who writes it? Lee Dixon or Alan Shearer wouldn't surprise me. Congrats to Ronaldo who deserved his awards. I wonder what Eamon Dunphy will have to say on it though? :)

My Premiership XI would be...

G: Shay Given
    D: Steve Finnan
    D: Ricardo Carvalho
    D: Nemanja Vidic
    D: Patrice Evra
    M: Cristiano Ronaldo
    M: Steven Gerrard
    M: Paul Scholes
    M: Ryan Giggs
    F: Didier Drogba
    F: Kevin Doyle

Just looking at stats, Terry has played 2 games less than Vidic and Neville, and 2 more than Evra. Theres no reason he shouldnt be in the team.

KdjaCL wrote:
    Jesus the difference between Rio and Carra is simple both can defend but only one can play football.

Given a choice i would take the guy who can defend and play football, a lot of people hate Rio but he reads the game well tackles well (how many yellows) and can play football.

Carra is a last gasp defender like Terry protected by a good midfield , Rio doesnt have that luxury its always one on one with him. Put either of those 2 in an attacking side and you see how good they really are.

But then again this is boards so Liverpool ftw!!!

kdjac

But ferdinand is supported by 7 of the best 11 players in the league this season. How can you say he's not supported well.

I dotn now where people get the idea that carra doesnt play football, or cant more to the point. The guy used to be a right winger for a start. He also made a good living as a right full and a left full. He's far from a hoofer.

As for the team btw, what of Fabregas?

Haha, who writes it? Lee Dixon or Alan Shearer wouldn't surprise me. Congrats to Ronaldo who deserved his awards. I wonder what Eamon Dunphy will have to say on it though? :)

My Premiership XI would be...

G: Shay Given
    D: Steve Finnan
    D: Ricardo Carvalho
    D: Nemanja Vidic
    D: Patrice Evra
    M: Cristiano Ronaldo
    M: Steven Gerrard
    M: Paul Scholes
    M: Ryan Giggs
    F: Didier Drogba
    F: Kevin Doyle

i'm amazed it's taken 73 posts for Givens name to be put in. I thought his god like status on boards would have had loads of "VDS, wtf????. Given is 10 times better" posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

How many PL appearances has Given made? :confused:

He's been pretty dogged with injury. I'd give the nod to Ben Foster or David James.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

How many PL appearances has Given made? :confused:

He's been pretty dogged with injury. I'd give the nod to Ben Foster or David James.

Foster or Carson tbh at least for amount of times they ahd the ball.

kdjac

Fabregas and Essien played better than Gerrard this season in the league, don't really know why he is there.

Defenses doesn't equal back four.

Chelsea have Makelele protecting them, Liverpool have Sissoko\Mascherano protecting them, United have Carrick protecting them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

The two defenses with the lowest goals conceded; completely ignored. Genius.

The keeper with the most clean sheets; ignored. Genius.

Gerrard in the squad. Mind boggling.

Also agree that if a player wins senior player of the year, another player should be put in for Young, just to boost some egos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Wheres El Rabitos when you need him...?

Ronaldo's award(s) were completely deserved but I agree with the earlier post that you should only be allowed to win one. Fair play to Kevin Doyle for the nomination too, he works hard and keeps his head down, and deserves everything he gets.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

PHB wrote:
    Hell Benetiz has shown nothing but lack of faith in Finnan.

Why do you think this PHB?

the signings of Knonkamp, Josemi, Arbeloa, the continued interest in Alves (though who isn't interested in him) hardly scream "You're the best right I could ask for".

Although, Finnan has just signed a new contract, hasn't he?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Well done man UTD, lets hope the players can backup the presses expectations.
    :p
    LMAO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

thought agger and shorey from reading would have maybe in for a shout in defence of team of the year. also find giggs a but surprising, but these teams of the years are always dodgey, cue the "champions league XI" in few weeks time and watch the debates start all over :rolleyes:

Well done man UTD, lets hope the players can backup the presses expectations.
    :p
    LMAO
    First off - only one of the defenders is actually in a position to do so!

Secondly.....its the players expectations, not the press. PFA awards, not Football Writers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

As a Man U fan these are my two cents:

First off Ronaldo, as much as I love the guy and think he is an outstanding player , I strongly believe that if he is going to win an award it should have just been the Player of the Year award. I feel its its unfair to dismiss both Cesc Fabregas's form this season and Kevin Doyles.

Secondly, I believe the team of the year is insane. VDS has been good this season, but if Cech had not been injured , Cech have definatley won it, just look at his performances since he has returned. Neville nor Rio deserve to be in that team, and the same goes for scholes. With out doubt Vidic, evra, Ronnie and giggs deserve to be there thats it. There are so many good players who deserved to be in that team, Carvalho, Carragher, Finnan and Fabregas.

Fair enough opinions about Rio and Neville, Scholes came 3rd in the player of the year choice, and has been incredible for United this season.

Willstev wrote:
    As a Man U fan these are my two cents:

First off Ronaldo, as much as I love the guy and think he is an outstanding player , I strongly believe that if he is going to win an award it should have just been the Player of the Year award. I feel its its unfair to dismiss both Cesc Fabregas's form this season and Kevin Doyles.

Secondly, I believe the team of the year is insane. VDS has been good this season, but if Cech had not been injured , Cech have definatley won it, just look at his performances since he has returned. Neville nor Rio deserve to be in that team, and the same goes for scholes. With out doubt Vidic, evra, Ronnie and giggs deserve to be there thats it. There are so many good players who deserved to be in that team, Carvalho, Carragher, Finnan and Fabregas.

Could not disagree more about Scholes and Giggs. Scholes has been brilliant all season (apart from Roma away) while giggs only really hit form in the opening few games. Since his injury towards the start of the season, his form as been sporadic but generally average. The only reason i would put him in the team is cause the league seems lost for left wingers. Robben has been injured, Duff has been crap and injured, Lennon is better on the right, Arsenal don't play with one, liverpool use a wing back, and none of the other teams have one that stood out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

VDS, Steven Gerrard and Rio Ferdinand are great players but they dont deserve to be in that PFA team. I made up my first and second teams of the year below:

James
    Foster

Finnan
    Neville
    Meite
    Dunne
    Vidic
    Carragher
    Evra
    Riise

Ronaldo
    Lennon
    Essien
    Gerrard
    Scholes
    Carrick
    Giggs
    Barry

Berbatov----McCarthy
    Drogba
    Rooney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Tauren wrote:
    First off - only one of the defenders is actually in a position to do so!

Secondly.....its the players expectations, not the press. PFA awards, not Football Writers.

I stand corrected. Fair play some legends up there for sure. But Finnan should be there also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

PHB wrote:
    Fair enough opinions about Rio and Neville, Scholes came 3rd in the player of the year choice, and has been incredible for United this season.
    I am unsure on Scholes, ok he has been good but I just dont believe he has been outstanding.

• Advertisement

Cesc has been better than Gerrard and Carrick.

PHB wrote:
    Essien has been better then all of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

PHB wrote:
    Yeah good call, I was struggling to think of someone there. Replace Carrick for Fabregas then, maybe Taylor could of made it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The Muppet wrote:
    Surely you're not suggesting that the football writers (most of whome follow their own agendas) know more about about the subject than the players themselves. Personally I would put a lot more credence on the players opinions .

Never understood this attitude of footballers must know more about the game because they play. Complete bull****.

Unless people herk thing the likes of Ian wright and Jami Redknapp are always right in what they say?

Nope, lots of footballers don't know more about the game.

However, I'd trust the opinions all the footballers in the world over all the fans in the world.

Unless people hear thing the likes of Ian wright and Jami Redknapp are always right in what they say?
    good god a hate them so much.

Redknap: That goal was a fantastic individual goal.
    Other Pundit: Great team goal that was.
    Redknap: Yep, great team goal.

MORON!

can't stand Wright either, moans about players in it only for the money, and advises his son to move to Chelsea when it was clear to everyone it was gonna be a bad move. MONEY! Also, his, and shearers, comments regarding Ronaldo in the summer were little short of biggoted racism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Stekelly wrote:

Disregard Gerrard, he only get sin because he won a lifetime membership to the "team of the season" club or somesuch and proves the list is a crock of ****. surely then by you reasonign Chelsea, being only 3 points behind Utd and in 2nd all season should have about 75% of the players Utd have in the team, no? Plus, out of all the players in the league, there wasnt one midfielder or defender good enough to be included ahead of any UTD player? How have Utd dropped any points this season?

Ste Kelly you're missing the point on how this team of the year is chosen.
    Of course no-one person would pick 8 players from one team but thats not how it works. Contrary to what you believe it was not pulled out of someones arse:D
    Every player picks a player of the year and their team of the year in a 4-4-2 formation. Whoever tallies the most votes in each position gets in the team. It's as simple as that. So, for example Evra tallied the most votes for left back and so on....

For the record if I was aked to vote in February, as the players were, this would have been my team of the year:

VDS

G. Neville R. Carvalho N. Vidic P. Evra

C. Ronaldo M. Essien P. Scholes R. Giggs

D. Drogba K. Doyle

And here is my team of the season '06/'07:

P. Cech

G. Neville R. Carvalho J. Carragher P. Evra

C. Ronaldo M. Essien P. Scholes M. Arteta

D. Drogba D. Berbatov

Incidentally, players voting for Gerrard in a central midfield slot when he rarely plays there is baffling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Tauren wrote:
    the signings of Knonkamp, Josemi, Arbeloa, the continued interest in Alves (though who isn't interested in him) hardly scream "You're the best right I could ask for".

Although, Finnan has just signed a new contract, hasn't he?

SO Alan smith was signed because Fergie didnt rate Rooney then?

Well done, great football knowledge there.

Smith was signed BEFORE Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Tauren wrote:
    If Rio was from Italy, he'd be loved by everyone.
    and if he was from Scotland, he wouldn't have made the PFA XI

Rafa has come out and said quite clearly that he didnt rate Finnan so much based on the 2003/2004 season before he arrived, which is why he brought in Josemi as his first purchase. Over the year Finnan improved massively and impressed Rafa enough to guarantee himself the starting spot. Kromkamp, Barragan and now Arbeloa are more for cover then to replace, though arbeloa probably is the long term replacement, as well as cover for all across the back 4.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/archivedirs/news/2007/apr/8/N155525070408-0956.htm
    "When I first arrived I did not know too much about Finnan," claims Benitez. "I'd had reports but the season before I arrived he was not playing well, or at least not at this level but he has improved, and for three years now he has been playing well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement