Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ronaldo - Young and Senior Player of the Year

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

PHB wrote:
    Fabregas and Essien played better than Gerrard this season in the league, don't really know why he is there.
    for the same reason Rio is in there...

someone already mentioned it due to their lifetime membership to the team of the year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Can't believe that Arteta hasn't got more of a mention. The guy was sensational all year and typified his season with three assists in the game against Fulham recently. Far more deserving of a place than Gerrard.

Thought Doyle and Richard Dunne may have been in with a shout but I suppose they don't play for a 'fashionable club' and their efforts as usual go unnoticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Lex Luthor wrote:
    and if he was from Scotland, he wouldn't have made the PFA XI

Why not? Can scottish players not get on the PFA XI or win player of the season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I think the most striking thing is that not one Irish player made it into the top two tiered teams. Been a while since that happened iirc.

I don't think a player should be allowed win both titles. You're either a young player or a senior player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

how do you decide which though?

If Ronaldo had come 3rd in the senior vote behind Drogba and Scholes, would the 'fact' he was the best youngster this season not merit the young players award?

Would you only rule him out of the young players award if he wins the senior award? If so, if he was voted for the young players award, why take it away from him?

In principle i agree with you, but i'm just not sure how you could fairly discriminate against him, or any other young player deserving of either award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

fairest way is probably to give it to whoever came second in the young player award.

Im still very surprised it happened though, loads of players must have voted for him for both awards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Tauren wrote:

If Ronaldo had come 3rd in the senior vote behind Drogba and Scholes, would the 'fact' he was the best youngster this season not merit the young players award?

Would you only rule him out of the young players award if he wins the senior award? If so, if he was voted for the young players award, why take it away from him?

In principle i agree with you, but i'm just not sure how you could fairly discriminate against him, or any other young player deserving of either award.
    I'd do it two ways. Age cut off and past performance.

These days, 23 is too old to be a young player imo. There is a 20's tier in FIFA youth football. I think that's the cut off for young player in an ideal situation.

On top of that, I think once you've won the young player, you should only be considered for senior player.

If you want to recognise young players coming through, giving it to the same player 3 years running (deserving as he may be) doesn't make sense. The player is obviously well established in his team at that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

How many under 20's play regularly for their respective clubs however?

I don't know really but there can't be that many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Tauren wrote:

The only thign to do really would be to maybe not be able to be nominated for both? They could put an upper age limit (already there) on the young player, and a lower one on the senior award, to prevent overlap.

As it is, if you are nominated for both and win the senior one, you have to then win the young player award too, otherwise how can you win an award based on everyone, but not win one based on about 15-20% of the league.

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Im still very surprised it happened though, loads of players must have voted for him for both awards

Well , as above, if players give him their vote for senior player, they would kind of have to give him the junior vote too. otherwise they would be saying "your better than evryone in the league" and int he next breadth saying "your not the best anymore when we take out everyone over 21"

Are players given a shortlist or can they vote for anyone, and a shortlist is taken from the top 5 vote getters and the result is known ages ago but not released?

As I put in the nominations thread, I think they should do some sort of rookie system, whereby the young player has to be under 20 or 21 and be in his 2nd season as a pro at most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

how on Erth Van Der Sar got in the team god only knows. David James has played every minute of Pompey'sgames this season and has been nothing short of inspirational. I was devastated when we signed him, but he has had a great season and in addition has just broken the record for clean sheets.

still, he doesn't play for United, Liverpool or in London does he:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

James was never able to cope with the pressure at Liverpool, or for England, while he's done sterling work for Portsmouth, the expectations haven't been as high either. Also, remember when this was voted for, and what the form was like then. VDS has been a bit dodgy lately, but was immense for most of the season before that.

astrofool wrote:
    James was never able to cope with the pressure at Liverpool, or for England, while he's done sterling work for Portsmouth, the expectations haven't been as high either. Also, remember when this was voted for, and what the form was like then. VDS has been a bit dodgy lately, but was immense for most of the season before that.
    James' past failings are irrelevent - he has been immence this season, even his early form which you seem to suggest was not as good. He was excellent, and i think would have been fully deserving of the number 1 slot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Dunne > Rio this season.

Boo to the team selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

psi wrote:

If you want to recognise young players coming through, giving it to the same player 3 years running (deserving as he may be) doesn't make sense. The player is obviously well established in his team at that stage.

Thers a lot of talk in this thread about awards being given. Nothing was "given"to Ronaldo or anyone else he/they won it because his fellow professionals voted for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Good to see Berbatov in there. Must be my favourite striker out there atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

The voting for that is a complete shambles to be honest. Here is what I would say for the team of the year(Yeah Right)

Van Der Sarr - No. David James dont like the chap but he has been imense this season.

Neville - NO. Missed half the games. Finnan should get it he plays superb week in week out and is very under-rated.

Vidic - Yes. I agree with this he had been playing very well before the injury.

Ferdinand - NO. Vidic carried him through the season. Carra I think or maybe pushinng it for big Sol Campbell.

Evra - No. Has he played the majority of games? TBH Idont know who should get this but Evra had about a 5 game spell where he was good and that was it.

Gerrard - Maybe. As a liverpool supporter it pains me to say it but he is on the edge on this. He hasnt been his usual stunning but has done a job.

Giggs - Maybe. Nothing spectacular 4 or 5 game good spell. Matty Taylor or Morton Gamst Pedersen should be in there I think.

Scholes - Yes. Very Overrated but for lack of a better player I will say yes.

Ronaldo - Yes. No explaination needed. If he gets rid of diving he would be an amazing player.

Drogba - Yes. Hate the guy but he has been imense all season.

Berbatov - No. I know he is very popular here but I dont think he is anything special he shouldn't be here I mean he only has what ... 7 goals this season. Maybe Crouchy should be here but he hasnt played the majority of games, Doyle? Agbonglahor? Kuyt? McCarthy? I would go for the latter of them McCarthy.

Reganio 2 wrote:
    The voting for that is a complete shambles to be honest. Here is what I would say for the team of the year(Yeah Right)

Van Der Sarr - No. David James dont like the chap but he has been imense this season.

Neville - NO. Missed half the games. Finnan should get it he plays superb week in week out and is very under-rated.

Vidic - Yes. I agree with this he had been playing very well before the injury.

Ferdinand - NO. Vidic carried him through the season. Carra I think or maybe pushinng it for big Sol Campbell.

Evra - No. Has he played the majority of games? TBH Idont know who should get this but Evra had about a 5 game spell where he was good and that was it.

Gerrard - Maybe. As a liverpool supporter it pains me to say it but he is on the edge on this. He hasnt been his usual stunning but has done a job.

Giggs - Maybe. Nothing spectacular 4 or 5 game good spell. Matty Taylor or Morton Gamst Pedersen should be in there I think.

Ronaldo - Yes. No explaination needed. If he gets rid of diving he would be an amazing player.

Drogba - Yes. Hate the guy but he has been imense all season.

Berbatov - No. I know he is very popular here but I dont think he is anything special he shouldn't be here I mean he only has what ... 7 goals this season. Maybe Crouchy should be here but he hasnt played the majority of games, Doyle? Agbonglahor? Kuyt? McCarthy? I would go for the latter of them McCarthy.
    Evra has been fantastic this season - easily the best LB in the league.

As for Berbatov - 7 goals...lol. try something closer to 20.

Tauren wrote:
    As for Berbatov - 7 goals...lol. try something closer to 20.

9 according to the spurs site.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/players/stats_squadlist.html

Stekelly wrote:
    incorrect. apparently.

• Advertisement

Berbatov has 9 premiership goals, 3 FA cup goals, 7 Uefa cup goals and 1 carling cup goal.

Is this team just based on the premiership or what?

He has been great alright, but hasnt scored against any of the better teams in the premiership (only 1 top half, everton), though i have to say his all round play and touch are fantastic.

Just checked Football365,they reckon 20 in all comps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Berbatov also has 8 assists. He just adds so much to a team. A genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Reganio 2 wrote:

Van Der Saar - I think Pepa Reina would have been a good shout also. David James, had a good season, but i think managers and pass and present players have built him up this season.

Neville - Definelty not, Steven Finnan without a doubt.

Vidic - Yes. Best center back this season in my opnion

Ferdinand - NO. Jamie Carragher no question, liverpool's best player this season again.

Evra - tough choice, hasn't played many games, Riise or Clichy? not sure though

Gerrard - NO. By his own standards has had a poor season. Michael Essien.

Giggs - NO. has probably has 4/5 good games not consistent enough, Frank Lampard.

Scholes - Yes. deserves to be named here, Manu best player this season apart from Ronaldo.

Ronaldo - Yes. like Joe Cole last season and Drogba this season has scored some important goals this season for manu.

Drogba - Yes. The top striker this season.

Berbatov - I'm still to decide if on him myself, Kevin Doyle ? not to sure myself.

They could not give Ronaldo PFA and not then say Fabregas young PFA, would have made no sense. I'm a MANU supporter for those who dont know and i was shocked to see the team of the season, Neville, Giggs and Evra have all had average season each, GIGGS in the last few weeks has been poor.

I dont like liverpool :p but Carragher and Finnan have been class again this season, as has pepa reina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Giggs - NO. has probably has 4/5 good games not consistent enough, Frank Lampard.

Messing with formation then, Frank Lampard, Gerrard or Scholes can't play on the left. Unless you put Gerrard on right and Ronaldo on left...don't think those awards work like that though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

I'm a United supporter and I wouldn't have put all those United players in the team of the year.

Having said that, it was good to see it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Reganio 2 wrote:

That just baffles me, really it does.For me one of the finest midfielders of his generation and possibly for many other 'football' fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Van Der Saar - NO. He's was flawless until recently, but hasn't had too many spectacular performances. Ben Foster.

Neville - YES. It's between him and Finnan, in reality, and I think Finnan is overrated on this board. He's unerringly solid, but Neville has added attack to his game this season.

Vidic - YES. Best center back this season in my opnion

Ferdinand - NO. Ricardo Carvalho has been unbelievably good this season, outshining Terry easily. Honorable mentions to Ferdinand, Carragher and Dunne, but Carvalho is unreal - always good for a crucial goal too.

Evra - NO. He's been pretty good when he's played, but Matty Taylor has been better. Gareth Barry probably too, but Taylor is my choice.

Gerrard - NO. Ludicrous choice, Gerrard has been poor. Michael Essien has been superb all season.

Giggs - YES. Only for a lack of other options really, he hasn't been as amazing as is often made out.

Scholes - YES. I can't believe someone said Scholes was overrated - best central midfielder in the league by a distance.

Ronaldo - YES. Obviously.

Drogba - YES. By far and away the best striker of the season.

Berbatov - YES. Such a good player, in great form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Neville - YES. It's between him and Finnan, in reality, and I think Finnan is overrated on this board. He's unerringly solid, but Neville has added attack to his game this season.
    Ahhh but Finnan has more Assists than Neville, not many more but still... :)

He's also the highest ranked defender on the Actim index.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Stekelly wrote:
    While it's fair enough he got an award, i dotn think the same player should be able to win both. If you are nominated in the senior one, you should autmatically drop out of the young player award.

:rolleyes:

Is that shorthand for somethign with a point? Or are you incapable of useing english to give a reason why it shouldnt be that way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

ronaldo has been hands down utd's and the premiership's best player this season.

penalties, headers, free kicks, long mazy runs.. he's a threat from all over the pitch.

when 1 on 1, out of any player in the league, he's the man you'd put your money on.

he IS one of the best players in the world, it's because we see him week in week out that we tend to criticise him.

If ronaldo was playing for barcelona or madrid, he'd be regarded as the best player in the world full stop. He is the new Roy Keane for Utd in that he drives the side forward literally rather than giving them a verbal bashing.

By sprinting up the field with the ball, holding it up etc.. he's pulling utd players forward constantly, encouraging them to support in attack.

That's a different style of leadership. And so far, it's working.

Stekelly wrote:
    Is that shorthand for somethign with a point? Or are you incapable of useing english to give a reason why it shouldnt be that way?

anyone else think the ":rolleyes: " smilie should be banned? it serves no purpose other then to be a tosser..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

s8n wrote:
    :rolleyes: mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmyyyyeah

(:eek: :D;) )

~Rebel~ wrote:
    anyone else think the ":rolleyes: " smilie should be banned? it serves no purpose other then to be a tosser..

Nah, its gives the less intelligent a way to communicate with the rest of us and let u sknow theres still a little bit of brain activity.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Advertisement