Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dominican Republic.

Options
  • 22-04-2007 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

apparantly theres a surf camp out there,...you get lodgings on the beach and use of boards etc.....anyone ever been surfing out there?

Just want to know what kind of place it is.....good waves? rep for the place makes it sounds fab but guess he's kind of biased,...owning the place and all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Spent a month there yah but not certain if it was the same place.

I was here - http://www.cabaretesurfcamp.com/ in Cabarete - I presume you are talking about Cabarete...

It is a brilliant spot - lovely surfing but predominantly a spot for Kitesurfers and windsurfers. I went for kitesurfing but in 31 days got about 3 days of decent wind (unheard of for the town!) so I mostly surfed the morning ~8am and then either dived in the afternoon or hung out with the kitesurfers waiting for wind.

The camp is just near a lagoon which borders onto the main street which borders onto the beach - however, the beach near the camp is for kiting and windsurfing - surf beach is about 10 min drive. The camp runs a morning shuttle service to the beach - you can sign up for lessons, but you might be as well just to use the shuttle service and get on with it yourself. The main surf beach - encuentro i think it was - is a fairly handy reef - just bring reef boots if you are concerned and watch your hands when paddling out on low tide.

Anyway, the camp itself is great and you if you go you should make sure to eat there on a good few of the nights - you get to know everybody. I went on my own and by the end of the first night was in touch with everyone I needed for surfing, kiting, diving and generally going out.

If you go give my best to the owner Ali (from Andrew) - I am pretty sure I was the first Irish person to stay there and they were great to me. Brilliant value and great craic - serious roaches in the huts though - go for a studio.

JAK

Advertisement