Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Short term car insurance

Options
  • 22-04-2007 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

Hi

Was wondering if someone could help answer the following questions.

I moved to OZ back in July sold the car and cancelled in my car insurance. I still have a full Irish driver’s licence.
    I’m returning to Ireland for 2 week at the end of May and my brother has offered me the lend me of one of his cars if I can sort out insurance on it ( he currently has the car covered for himself and his wife)
    Is it possible to get covered on his car when I currently don’t hold Irish car insurance? Are there any insurance companies that will cover me for only two weeks?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

he should be able to put you down as a named driver on his policy surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They won't cover you on a car that isn't yours so you'd have to get him to make you a named driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The simplest solution is for your brother to get you added to his current policy as a named driver for the two weeks.

You cannot insure a car that you don't own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

I'd say just rent a car for 2 weeks, should be no problem because you have a full license and the insurance etc is covered by the rental company. My uncle from england did that when he was staying with us couple of years ago and it worked out grand. Was a nice nissan primera and all. Think it was about €200 for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭paulj13

Can you get put down as a name drive for a short term like two weeks? I always assumed that it had to be for the full period of the policy.

I'll get him to aks them for me. Thanks guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

paulj13 wrote:
    Can you get put down as a name drive for a short term like two weeks?

You can - I add my sister to mine when she comes home from abroad. when she was under 25 it cost about 40 euro for two weeks (fully comp policy with AXA) and once she hit 25 it was free to add her on.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

<joke>
    I'm not suggesting for a second that you should do this, but you could be really bold and phone up one of those places that give instant cover over the phone and just not return the paperwork when they send it out for you to fill in. They'll cancel the policy after a week or 10 days, so just phone an other crowd up and do it again :D
    </joke>

As has been mentioned before, it's next to impossible to get cover on a car you don't own, so the easiest option is to add you to your brother's policy for the duration of the visit.

Advertisement