Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Goldfish Eat Tadpoles ?

Options
  • 23-04-2007 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi all,

can anyone tell me if goldfish eat tadpoles.

I had quite a few tadpoles sharing accomodation with three goldfish in a garden pond last weekend and they all seem to have gone - with the exception of about 50 or so

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭King.Penguin

I wouldn't be suprised. Did you assume your goldfish was a herbivore? Have you noticed any new frogs in the vacinity :). could have been a bird that ate them. Only way to find out for sure is to set up video surrveillance or autopsy of goldfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Tadpoles eat tadpoles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭King.Penguin

It's a tadpole eat tadpole word out there tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

We had goldfish a few years ago but they died off, the pond got alot of frogs in the summer and alot of algae was formed so that didnt help. A heron frequents the pond now and again and I think he eats the frogs. I have some pics of it too.

13042006002um6.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭twenty8

Yes they do. Years ago I collected about 5 pinkins (very similar to tadpoles in size etc) and put them into my goldfish bowl.

It was fascinating to watch. the goldfish used to chase them around the bowl and then eat them whole. About one every few days - then about 1 day after eating them he spit the body back out with nothing but the head and a small bit of spine left!!

I know it may have been cruel - but as a kid it was fascinating to watch!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

It's a tadpole eat tadpole word out there tbh.

Brilliant:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

yeah they eat surprisingly large meals. Try a worm and watch two gold fish trying to "share" it , reminded me of the two dogs in The Lady and the Tramp eating spaghetti.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

There's a beetle that makes short work of tadpoles. I think it's called the 'great diving beetle". The most likely reason they're gone

Advertisement