Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What clothes do you like on the opposite sex?

• 23-04-2007 6:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭

Or if not the opposite sex whichever sex you're more inclined towards..

What kind of style or clothes do the guys or gals who you like most wear? Is there a particular style or type you go for or is it an individual thing? What clothes make you nod your head approvingly and where?

Similarly, what are your turn-offs in terms of fashion and appearance?

For me, I love it when theres a sense of the character of that person to the clothes they wear. I don't know how girls do it but when they accesorice properly or whatever the hell they do they can look really good and its hard to pin down why.

In a night club less is more, a lot of guys don't agree with me on this but if I see a girl with a really short skirt and a tiny top I either think "desperate" or "junior cert night out".

In general really bad fake tan isn't nice.

Although there is something to be said for girls who pick a look and do it really well, even if its not original...

I guess I don't know WHAT I like in a girl, but when I see it I know it!! :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭coolguy

I think girls look much more attractive in a skirt than trousers.
    I d'ont like the current trend of footless tights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭artnotort

topman clothes.

white tshirts and waistcoats.

if the fella is sort of chubby and he wears skinny jeans i think that's very unattractive.
    i suppose it's not so much what you wear as how well you wear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Band t-shirt and jeans will do me! As long as both are clean! Although I cannot keep my hands off my boyfriend when he's in his work clothes which is a shirt, tie and trousers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I like when a lady has confidence and a sense of style. If she's a smart dresser, then it's hard to take my eyes off of her. Minimal clothes doesn't really do it for me at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Endasaurus wrote:
    In a night club less is more, a lot of guys don't agree with me on this

I dont agree with this either, if a female is dressed well they can be covered from neck to toe with clothes and they can look just as attractive / noticable as someone wearing, for example, a mini and a belly top.

I think clothes are sometimes a secondary thing, OK initially the visual thing is what causes your brain to make an instant judgement (using the term lightly) but i think its very important how the person moves, holds themselves etc... If someone is confident and sexy and physically exudes that through how they speak, move, gesture then clothes that dont appear particularly desirable sort of become more desirable because of the person wearing them and how they are behaving.

Elegant dressing really impresses me though, well fitted garments, nice shoes...

Clothes Head

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

NO tracksuits, piercings, jewellery, cigarettes, baseball caps on guys
    ew :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

have to say i like the chav look on the right guy, not ott though.

generally i like casual wear like combats and a smart shirt or tshirt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

One word- Indie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

artnotort wrote:

Really? Honestly? Wow.

That's very Marty Pellow. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

No full tracksuits tucked into white sports socks. White sports socks in general.
    No mullets. Not absolutely covered in tattoos. Has to brush teeth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Nala wrote:
    One word- Indie.

love indie girls oh!:D

ugg boots are like ew for me.. like they are the ugliest things known to man.
    those and sweatpants, and tracksuits and scanger runners..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

Designer clothes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

artnotort wrote:
    topman clothes.

if the fella is sort of chubby and he wears skinny jeans i think that's very unattractive.
    i suppose it's not so much what you wear as how well you wear it.

I read that and began to think that it sounded like somebody I knew!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 gigglesxx

i absolultly hate a guy in a shirt......

nothing better than a nice trendy t-shirt!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

Turn ons: I likes it when chunky girls dress all sexy like. nothing wrong with a bicycle tyre at all!

Turn offs: Fake tan, tight ponytails, short hair, 'business' suits, caked on makeup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Designer clothes.
    This would be a turn off for me.

No OTT oufits.
    Nice jeans/baggyish trousers, although tight jeans are nice on some girls
    Skirts only if they have the legs
    Well fitting black tshirts for some reason
    The goth look if done well(ie. not some fat one with really baggy jeans and a band hoody)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭artnotort

qz wrote:
    I read that and began to think that it sounded like somebody I knew!
    you have to admit i've had a positive effect on your wardrobe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Smart well dressed men.
    A hoodie and jeans is nice as long as they're well tailored, ie Polo Jeans, Hilifiger hoody.
    V neck jumpers, shirts, nothing too cool. I dislike the River Island guys stuff.
    Suits are pretty hot too.
    Nothing too old fogey-ish, browns, slime greens, grey trousers, etc.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

How can there be so many replies to this thread and no ignorant smart arse thought to come in at any stage and say something stupid like:
    "As little as f***ing possible mate! Arf arf arf."

I hate people that post off topic dirty things like that on forums with serious questions to be answered.
    I also hate tracksuits with the word "Nope" on the butt. What are you trying to say? And I hope to god that its not what Im thinking....
    Is there a little "Yep" on the front?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

From a normal teenage girl's point of view (i.e not a d4, not an emo etc.):

A nice tracksuit (nothing OTT). I prefer guys who just have the grey/navy tracksuit bottoms and a nice t-shirt and nice runners/sneakers.

Nice jeans (not too baggy not to tight) with a cool t-shirt and hoody.

If you're going out - bootleg jeans and a nice shirt

Do something with your hair...gel works wonders! V's suit a lot of guys (spike the remaining hair up with a bit of gel - leave the fringe down).

At the same time, I love the indie look (long-ish hair is ok just keep it non-emo and non-greasy!) Otherwise, short hair (even shaved) all the way!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

EDIT-double post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I can't believe rb hasn't posted here yet. What's wrong with him- is he dead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

I also hate tracksuits with the word "Nope" on the butt. What are you trying to say? And I hope to god that its not what Im thinking....
    Is there a little "Yep" on the front?

:D:D:D

I like fellows in well tailored clothes, unusual well fitting suits, nice shoes. I also like a trendy witty tshirt, jeans and trainers on a guy.
    I also like the long shorts and flip flops look.
    A good watch and a nice wallet are also very important for guys.

Really dislike cheap slip on shoes, bad shirts (in or out), badly fitting jeans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭sportswear

i like girls dressed 'cute'

jeans nice t shirt hoodies, nice colours, 'soft' apperance .

i like clothes with a tendancy to a hippie or skater look

Leather jackets, leather skirts, very short skirts, loads of fake tan are EXTREME turn offs

i love girls with curly hair.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Half gothish, or just black, clothes in general, oh my, get them off you! or leave them on, as the case may be. :)

I hate uggs, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭~nop~

I have to agree that I can't stand designer clothes on anybody, but I do like a guy that dresses well, has his own style etc, and who wears clothes that arn't easily identifiable as to which shop they've come from, or which label he himself comes under, eg "emo", "d4" etc.

I've also got to agree with those who said work clothes ie. a shirt and a tie, are so attractive on a goodlooking guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

Turn ons: I love girls in high heels (sandals), tight jeans + belly top, loose mini skirt, light make up and nice parfume on, not very long hair (victoria beckam like) or even ponytail (!!)

Turn offs: Fake tan, red lipstick, baggy jeans (and masculine look in general), runners, curly hair or fluffy fringe :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Pythia wrote:
    Smart well dressed men.
    A hoodie and jeans is nice as long as they're well tailored, ie Polo Jeans, Hilifiger hoody.
    QUOTE]
    lol, possibly the two most crap "brands" on the market, tailored for chavs and scumbags. smart well dressed:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

I love the whole blazer with jeans look. Jeans gotta be a bit flared and stylish but not ripped jeans!!!!

LOVE guys who wear wee wooden bead bracelts..hotter than hot, oh and sometimes beanies can look good too..

Hate 'workmans' jeans and men in jumpers, and tracksuits,white runners, loadsa bling... = ewww!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I really cant stand women wearing tracksuit bottoms. They are very unflattering, not to mention the ones with writing on the arse of them.

I love women who wear dresses and skirts - nothing too revealing, but nothing too vintage at the same time. Sundresses are tops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Hate uggs (unless you have amazing legs).
    NO bootcut or flared jeans. If you're wearing jeans, they'd better be skinny. Contrary to popular belief, skinny jeans look just as flattering on less thin girls as they do on thin ones. If you've a generous amount of meat on you you're not doing yourself any favours by wearing anything that adds volume, i.e. baggy or flared jeans.
    Trouser suits etc are okay, I suppose they can't be avoided for office workers. No baggy suit trousers, tho.
    Easy on the patterened/printed hoodie tops, they're pure trendy, in the worst way.
    Dresses and skirts are nice, in general. Not denim, though.
    The black footless tights are just incredibley chav at this stage. Always coupled with some kind of neon dress/skirt...it's just too common. Avoid.

No tracksuits.

No white runners. God, I see women wearing these with suits on their way into the office in the morning. I know it's practical or whatever but it looks godawful. A big chunky pair of white Asics with a black suit...

I like the Victoria bechkam-y heeled-boots-with-tight-jeans thing, provided you're not horribly thin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

I think different styles of clothes suit different types of people....obvious I know! I mean for example, I think that Russell Brand can pull off the clothes he wears but I doubt there are many that could - he simply has the confidence, the thinness and the eccentricity.
    The most attractive clothing on men is clothing that reflects their personality, doesn't make them look like they are trying too hard to be 'trendy' and suits their figure. The same can be said for girls in my opinion.

Personally I dislike any form of jewellery on men but I'm sure there are men out there who can pull it off.That said I think if a man's natural taste veers towards tracksuit bottoms he should fight his natural instincts! There seems to be a new trend for men wearing huge tracksuit bottoms with acres of useless material.

It must be so easy for men to dress though because the most attractive, flattering outfits I can think of on a guy is just a pair of jeans with a tshirt or a nice suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Faerie wrote:
    I think different styles of clothes suit different types of people....obvious I know! I mean for example, I think that Russell Brand can pull off the clothes he wears but I doubt there are many that could - he simply has the confidence, the thinness and the eccentricity.
    The most attractive clothing on men is clothing that reflects their personality, doesn't make them look like they are trying too hard to be 'trendy' and suits their figure. The same can be said for girls in my opinion.

So true. Thats why i cant stand fashon followers or people who try to get into a look. I cant stand the type of person that says "im going for this look". You shouldnt go for a look, a look should come naturally. I only found that out the last year or so. I've stopped following fashon, and just started wearing what i want because of the comfort factor or because i thought that item was cool, sometimes just because its unique. This is how i would look at women. If they dress a certain way, i expect a certain type of girl. Her music tastes and so on. Indie girls are my thing tbh. If i went out with a girl who i thought was into good music and would be compatible with me based on her look to later find out shes into 50 cent but really likes the look.. that would drive me mad.
    Faerie wrote:
    It must be so easy for men to dress though because the most attractive, flattering outfits I can think of on a guy is just a pair of jeans with a tshirt or a nice suit.

How little you know us. Although thats the simple and comfortable way to dress (tbh its my way). We all long for, as you said before, a more eccentric look. Well, i do anyways, and i can see that in everyone. Something different, but not really silly looking. Something that works for that person. Which is why the whole, wear what you want as long as its what you want - not what fashon deems to be the 'it' look.

As stated before, i like the indie look. I listen to indie, i like the lifestyle that comes with it, and i like to promote it via my 'look'. I like girls to have a fringe, i dont care how it goes, it can be straight or angles brushed to one side. I like layers, and pony tails that only catch the back end of the hair. I like black hair and cheeky makeup(to an extent).

I like the whole leggings look... the skirt over it n all is great too - blatent indie origine imo! I love tube pants on a girl, i got 2 pairs myself, black n blue. I love converse too, and stud belts. I like seeing soemthing different too. I hate blue jeans with a pink top.

My biggest turn off is people who wear these monstrocities. What reject thought of trying to pull them off with tracksuit bottoms? I mean cmon, were you dropped on the head as a kid? They go with nothing!

Ugg boots are terrible, especially when they are worn down to make your ankles look all bent out of shape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Half gothish, or just black, clothes in general, oh my, get them off you! or leave them on, as the case may be. :)

Agreed Tar. the goth look on girls is good provided they dont go too far, so semi goth we'll say :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

this thread is driving me nuts. I don't know what I like on a guy - but I know it when I see it! Unless you're running, no trackies, nothing too tight. I'm not a fan of lycra on men, nothing that looks like you spent longer getting ready than I did. Loosish jeans and a cool tee maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Birthday suit FTW.

I wish more women would wear full-body dresses, particularly those hot Chinese satiny sorts:

a015.jpg

Rarr.

Down with footless tights, those shoes that look like ballet slippers, and (of course) Ugg-ly boots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

emo

mmmmmmm hot emo girlz

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cailin_donn

girls hardly wear dresses anymore-I know i don't!!!

for guys..... jeans and a t-shirt.... pink is a DEFINETE NO!!!!! even if u call it "salmon", youre not fooling anyone!!!

and wearing all white?? *shudders* dont even think about it!! especially with the dirty runners!!! ewww!!! and sham cuts are a totaly turn off!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

this thread is driving me nuts. I don't know what I like on a guy - but I know it when I see it! Unless you're running, no trackies, nothing too tight. I'm not a fan of lycra on men, nothing that looks like you spent longer getting ready than I did. Loosish jeans and a cool tee maybe?

I'm the same, with the not able to describe what i like!

I don't mind tracksuits but only nice non-tacky looking ones!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

I love the metal look on a bloke, especially glam metal, power metal, and I love cowboy outfits too.

Turn offs: Y-fronts, sandals, white jeans with black shoes, bald heads, men dressed as babies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

I'm M27.

Like: Dresses, Skirts, Heels, Figure-hugging clothes.

Dislike: Tracksuits, Hoodies, Jeans (shapeless, humdrum ones), Ponchos, Wool (how many sheep had to die for that cardigan?), runners, black pants.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

For everyday? A casual, clean, relaxed look. But when it's time to tango, black and dressed-up!

Dislike uptight and overdressed to impress. Lads in business suits everyday after awhile become a bore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

rediguana wrote:
    I'm M27.

Like: Dresses, Skirts, Heels, Figure-hugging clothes.

Dislike: Tracksuits, Hoodies, Jeans (shapeless, humdrum ones), Ponchos, Wool (how many sheep had to die for that cardigan?), runners, black pants.

You do know they just shear the wool off right :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

You do know they just shear the wool off right :p

Um... yeah, I knew that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

On guys: Indie look is nice, especially if the guy has really, really short hair. We're talking a #2 blade max here.
    On girls: Long dark hair, long skirts, tunic tops, little cardis - kinda hippy-type look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

long hair baggy jeans tshirt can be band or otherwise hoddy skae shoes= hootttt.imo.minimal jewellery has o be silver or of the beaded variety.

hate tracksuits esp shiney ones pink shirts or lemon shirts hats pearched on someones head at an angle gold jewellery the caterpillar on the top lip look shudder!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Likes: More or less any style accessorised by a genuine smile.

Dislikes: Slavish followers of fashion even if it doesn't suit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Black. Black clothes just do it for me. Particularly long black heavy wool jackets with collars. Sylar at the end of Heroes episode 22 is pretty much the epitomy of what I like. Oh, and nice crisp white shirts. And nice fairly fitted t-shirts.

Turn offs: Tracksuits, skinny jeans, chavs, Burburry, bleached hair, knackers in general, football jerseys. I'm sure there's lots more.

Advertisement