Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loging into sister Boards like the UK and New Zealand Boards

Options
  • 23-04-2007 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭

I was wondering, I have started to read other sister Boards like the UK and New Zealand Boards but will have to register to post there. Is there any reason why I as a subscriber to Boards IE cannot automatically be registered with these sister boards, or are they treated as seperate entities?

<can some one fix the typo in the tag line for me ister = Sister>
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Well this doesn't answer your question (:p ) but if you have a boards.us account you are already registered with boards.org.uk and don't need to setup a new account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Good point Asiaprod. It'd be a great move to replicate the users db across all of these sites. Lots of extra work though, with replication and synchronisation and what not.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

At the time the other sites were set up, the boards.ie user database was copied across. In the case of board.us, the boards.ie user list was copied across. For boards.org.uk, the boards.us database was used.

Since these are copies, they remain independent of one another - changes aren't replicated.

To be honest, the sites are supposed to operate independently of each other, and not as one big boards conglomerate. It could theoretically be possible to
    a. Register a user in the other sites when registered in any.
    b. Use the same user database for all sites.

The problem with a. is that the tables have been "in the wild" independently for so long now that one username that's available on boards.ie (for example), may not be available on boards.us.
    The problem with b. is logistics. The sites are presumably hosted across different countries/continents, so a certain amount of finely-tweaked replication would need to be set up and monitored. To me, that's easily equivalent to half of the total work that boards.ie would currently require, and the admins are overstretched as it is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

seamus wrote:
    To me, that's easily equivalent to half of the total work that boards.ie would currently require, and the admins are overstretched as it is :)
    Thats says all I need to hear. No problem. And thanks for the info. Now I get to pick a new persona and avatar:cool:

Advertisement