Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I set up a music school?

Options
  • 23-04-2007 9:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

I want to set up a music school.
    I've done a rough feasibility study and so far its looking good.
    I've some questions that need answering and I just dont know where or who to ask so I'm looking for some direction...
    My basic question is Can I set up a music school and are there any hidden constraints?

Because this is education are there any hidden things I need to look out for or can I basically pick a premises, hire staff and start teaching lessons?

I'm thinking of the kind of thing like:
    - certification or approval from Gov. needed
    - Premises needs to have parking
    - Hidden fees like poossible large insurance fees?

I need to know the answers to these questions but dont know who to ask - would the county enterprise board bbe the best starting point?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Do you have a background in music?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 narcissism

Yes I have a masters degree in music - why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

you will need public liability insurance

if you are teaching small kids is premesis suitable - will kids be supervised at all times (will you need to hire someone else to supervise kids waiting for lesson, waiting to be picked up, going to loo etc....)

How do you plan on getting clients - where will you advertise, linking in with schools in area useful

Are you planning on one-on-one or group lessons?

just some things to think of

best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 narcissism

Actually - I have spoken with the county enterprise board on this and they have told me that since it is not a creche that I will not need public liability insurance.
    Do you have other reasons I should look into this?
    There will be mainly one-to-one tuition - but this is going to be a private business so do I really need to think of the rules/insurances etc... that might govern a public sbhool in these situatuions?
    thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

If you don't have your own public liability you will find it next to impossible to rent a premesis from anyone. I'm involved in renting hall/rooms in a schoolto people and there is NO way you'd get through my door without your own insurance - otherwise anything happens to kids you are teaching and it's my insurance that gets claimed against.

Also if you are teaching young kids in a one to one or group environment you might want to think about getting Garda clearance- many parents would want to know you have this

• Advertisement
Advertisement