Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help a novice! :- How do I attatch timber to a concrete wall?

Options
  • 23-04-2007 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

I want to attatch a number of 2m long bits of timber to the back concrete wall in the garden so that I can then nail on some bamboo fencing onto that timber. (This is the fiancée's project, not mine - she wants to take the concrete look off the back wall & wants a bit more privacy in the back garden - I just get to do the work).

My missus thought she could just use 3" nails and a hammer to attatch the timber to the concrete wall but, as wet-behind-the-ears when it comes to DIY as I am, even I knew THAT wouldn't work. However, I still need to ask..- What's the best way to go about attatching the timber to the wall?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

Express nails, any builders providers will have them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

You could also use screws lad, stainless steel so that they don't rust.
    Drill the holes through the timber into the wall with a masonary bit, put in a rawl plug, screw in your timber.

As said though, Express nails are a great job, very difficult to remove.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

You'll need to be careful that the Bamboo doesn't split where the nail goes into it, I'd be inclined to drill and fix it using screws. I bought rolls of willowabout 8ft tall, something like this:

34260432.JPG

and fixed it to the wall with some cable clips bought from Conlon&Quinn

782_073.jpg

I wanted to take the raw block look away though it wasn't a privacy issue, still worth a look though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

The nails won't be going THROUGH the bamboo - they're u-bend type nails (in the shape of a U) and they'll be going AROUND the bamboo and into the timber.

Thanks for all ye're help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Bard wrote:
    My missus thought she could just use 3" nails and a hammer to attatch the timber to the concrete wall but, as wet-behind-the-ears when it comes to DIY as I am, even I knew THAT wouldn't work. ?

Your missus mightn't be that wrong. You'll get ordinary 3" nails into the wall no bother, If you can hit the mortar joints spot on

Not the best of jobs though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Bard - U cud always put it up using cable ties, so that the nail/screw is on the wall first, then cable tie it in.

I am not sure if "No More Nails" or equivalent would work but u cud use it, I put glass blocks together using it and it was like concrete

Advertisement