Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can i just ask about my criminal record?

• 23-04-2007 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi Guys

Im applying for an L1 visa for work in the states but i think i may have a criminal record. Im not to sure if its on record because after i was arrested my buddys bro (who is a garda) said he'd take care of it for me.

Can i just walk into the garda station and just ask about my record?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Bedhead

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

If you werent convicted in court you havea clean criminal record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

What about soft information that may be held on pulse?

Like Mr X is known to hang around with Y a known drug dealer etc?

Do the gardai hold that sort of information on citizens?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Bond-007 wrote:
    What about soft information that may be held on pulse?

Like Mr X is known to hang around with Y a known drug dealer etc?

Do the gardai hold that sort of information on citizens?

I think pulse records are only for convictions, or for keeping records of complaints/witness statements. So if you have no convictions and have never been a complainant/witness, I don't think they would have a pulse record on you.

Guilt by association is (as of 24/04/2007) not a criminal offence. But check back tomorrow and we'll see.

That said, who knows what is written down in those little black notebooks?

This post is without reference to the OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Pulse records can be somewhat detailed - down to the detail of who was a passenger in whose car on whatever day a car was pulled over for whatever reason.

Having said that, they don't necessarily input a record of every a car that is pulled over (I've been pulled over numerous times, but there's no record on PULSE of it).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

after i was arrested my buddys bro (who is a garda) said he'd take care of it for me

Unless you went up infront of a Judge it looks like he did take care of it (which worries me more to be honest)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

jhegarty wrote:
    Unless you went up infront of a Judge it looks like he did take care of it (which worries me more to be honest)

Gardaí have discretion, it is quite possible that the Garda in question felt there was no need to charge the OP. It is also possible that such a direction came down from management or the DPP (depending on the nature of the arrest).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 uglykid-doe

thanks for your replies guys... i ended up infront of a judge (drunk and disorderly) and stressed that i would pay a big fine rather than anything else that would interfere with my career, fcukhead judge sentences me to 2 months jail, suspended! wouldnt mind it was only a drunken arguement with a best mate, judge says he wants to make an example out of us!!!! for a fcukin drunken arguement????

anyways (getting myself annoyed here thinkin about it) i popped into the garda station with the passport and asked them to check for me. I should have the report by next week.

So according to "Chief---" i do have a criminal record, bollix! wonder would my mates bro (the garda) have been able to change the records after? anyone know if i can get the visa anyway, for work like? if it is on record? if not i may start looking for a new job....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Sounds like you were convicted of s. 4 and s. 6 of the public order act. To the best of my knowledge that is not a crime of moral turpitude under american immigration law, disclose it (you may have to rpovide a certified record from the court showing exactly what you were convicte of ) and you should be fine. Best person to ask would be an american immigration lawyer showing them a copy of the public order act and stating which sections you were convicted of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

Guilt by association is (as of 24/04/2007) not a criminal offence. But check back tomorrow and we'll see.

pray tell....

dont tell me they're going down that route now (altho, it could fairly be argued that they already have in teh Gilligan case [S.C.C, 2001])

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

the pulse system stores everything, even if they havent been convicted!! every time a garda logs into a profile, they must give a reason also, and thats one of the systems ideas, that it has suspected info on it, but this isnt a criminal record

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

dK1NG wrote:
    pray tell....

dont tell me they're going down that route now (altho, it could fairly be argued that they already have in teh Gilligan case [S.C.C, 2001])

I was referring to the criminal justice bill, 2007, which was passed by dail eireann later that day...

Advertisement