Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berbatovs Future...

Options
  • 23-04-2007 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭

Having read more and more media specualtion over the weekend, it's becoming clearer that several clubs may well have Berbatov at the top of the there lists during the summer.
    Over the last 4/5 weeks, he seems to be becoming more and more frustrated during games, ie, how many times on Sat did he throws his arms out in disgust etc !! During his interview with Sky after the game, he quite bluntly made it clear that he was'nt happy with the 'stupid goals' that we continue to give away !!

As most of us would probably agree on, this guy looks the real deal, and he looks like the best player the club have bought in while...therefore it is vital that we hold on to him, if we want to push on.... but will we ??

Will Uefa Cup be enough to hold on to him ??

Your views !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

All depends on what offers come in.
    I reckon Levy would sell for 20mil.
    Doubling his investment in 12 months.
    We will probabally get someone like Darren Bent in as a replacement.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'd be surprised if he couldn't get 20M for him. It'd be an awful loss for spurs though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

Good piece on Topspurs by Logan Holmes about the possibility of Berbs going. I fear that if we don't make UEFA he's off :mad:
    22nd April 2007 - Berbatov – A Player for a Season at Tottenham?

I do hope I’m proved wrong but my over-riding impression after watching Spurs snatch a draw against Arsenal at White Hart Lane with Jermaine Jenas’ late equaliser is that Dimitar Berbatov will not be there next year. He has brought a class to Spurs that has been missing for some considerable time, he has lifted the team as Jurgen Klinsmann did all those years ago but ultimately the short-comings of those around him will lead to his departure.

Throughout the game and over the past number of matches there has been evidence for all to see that Berbatov is a player who is so frustrated. Frustrated at the lack of support through the team’s style of play where he so often, even at home, is the lone striker. Frustrated at the inability of the other players to provide a pass that will create a meaningful chance for him to strike on goal. Frustrated at other players not reading the game and moving into space to receive a forward pass. Frustrated at the lack of support as he chases across the field trying to close defenders down and then discovers that there’s no-one backing him up. Frustrated with his own play that he hasn’t been able to get away from the three defenders marking him. When a defender takes the ball from him he does a jump of frustration or looks to the sky in annoyance. Opposition players know that Spurs play so deep that they can isolate Berbatov and limit his contribution. Frustrated at refereeing decisions which go against him.

I’m not suggesting that Berbatov is playing to get away or that he’s not giving his all throughout a game. He created the opportunity for the first goal when winning the corner and he celebrated both goals with the same enthusiasm as everyone else but it’s been a long season and the lack of success and the disappointments of the last few weeks are clearly getting to him.

A telling image from the final moments of the game - with Spurs again looking unlikely to get any reward for their efforts - was Robinson wanting to take a free kick on the edge of his penalty area and desperately trying to attract Berbatov’s attention. Berbatov was just walking slowly forward, head down not looking to see what was happening - it was if he felt he had done all that he could on the day and had nothing left to give.

Of course, Berbatov can’t just announce that he’s going as Klinsmann did in 1995 but if a top club makes it known that they’re interested and offers a big transfer fee what chance have Spurs of keeping him? If an offer comes where the player will have the opportunity to play at the highest level in the Champions League, with the opportunity to play alongside other top class players, with the chance to win silverware and with a big salary on offer – he can’t be blamed for looking enviously in their direction.

What can Tottenham offer against that? Possible UEFA Cup competition and there’s no guarantee that that will be achieved and then more of the same just like this year. It was Spurs’ inability to provide European football that gave Klinsmann the opportunity to move on and it could happen again with Berbatov. The next four games will have such a significant bearing on Tottenham’s and Berbatov’s future.

As I said at the start I do hope I’m wrong – Spurs need Berbatov next season, not money in the bank or to spend on lesser players. Remember we replaced Jurgen Klinsmann with Chris Armstrong and Teddy Sheringham was unimpressed. Berbatov would be equally difficult to replace. Spurs’ future depends on keeping their best players and adding to the quality in order to make improvements year on year. It will be another long summer in the transfer market.

Logan Holmes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

I think Dublin Spur could be right. Levy will probably look at it from the point of view of making such a profit in such a short space of time, as per carrick.
    Would be a disaster to see him go.

Either way, id like to see us sign bent, i like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

howdy,

seen him during the seville game, he looked seriously frustrated with some of the play of his team mates and who could blame him. If we win all our remaining games and jol does some serious investing during the summer he might stay but i think he's probably half a chelsea player at this stage, he is a class apart and deserves better than dawson, jenas, pyo, huddlestone, keane, zokora, chimbonda,bae etc, who collectively havent done the business this year ( although zokora does seem to be showing signs of his ability). we are the 12th richest club in the world, we need to show signs that we want to win some trophies and attract top class players, if we sell berbatov we will have to settle for mid table mediocrity with reading, portsmouth and blackburn as usual. Harsh i know but.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Hatch99 wrote:
    I think Dublin Spur could be right. Levy will probably look at it from the point of view of making such a profit in such a short space of time, as per carrick.

I don't think the comparison stands...yet

Carrick wanted a move, Spurs were offered good money for him (IMO more than he was worth). Yes he was an integral part of our midfield, but he was not and still is not a world class player. We've failed to replace him for sure, but if we are honest we'll admit that Carrick would not be enough to change the shape and layout of our side this season.

Berbatov hasn't asked for a move, and Daniel Levy is keenly aware of just how good a player he is...we will never be as lucky as we were in convincing him to sign for us, considering what we paid for him.

There is little point to Levy/ENIC seeking to maximise profits in the short term, Spurs don't pay dividends to shareholders and incoming cash is THFC's, not ENIC's. Some people labour under the misconception that ENIC have their hand in the till @ WHL, that just isn't the case. Not while we are still a PLC anyway.

Berbratov is the best chance we have of consolidating our position in the league and challenging for honours. Levy and co know that.

I'm also of the opinion that Berbatov is not the sort of player to jump ship at the first opportunity. He spent long enough at Leverkusen, including a year hwen they struggled and failed to qualify for Europe. IMO he'll stay at least one more year, but we need to dispaly ambition if he is to be convinced to remain longer. That doesn't have to mean we break the bank, but it does mean no more Raziaks, and it definitely means a change in attitude so that we can covert 2-2 draws at home to Dial Square into wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

mushykeogh wrote:
    he is a class apart and deserves better than dawson, jenas, pyo, huddlestone, keane, zokora, chimbonda,bae etc, who collectively havent done the business this year ( although zokora does seem to be showing signs of his ability).

I think that is simply unfair to a number of our players. Dawson has been immense this season, he does need to work on elements of his game but he's still a young player who looks very assured alongside King.

Apart from the last few games where injury has taken its toll, Chimbonda has been very effective at RB, and he's certainly been the best we've had there since the early days of Carr's career.

Keane has formed a good partnership with Berbatov, he's not immune from criticism but to suggest that he's not good enough to play with Berbs is simply not on.

I notice no criticism of Robbo or Lennon, both of whom need a kick up the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

I don't think the comparison stands...yet

Agreed, but I was simply saying what could happen over the next 6/8 weeks, if we dont qualify for Europe ..

If we were to sell him, it would be a huge step back....

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

I agree fully on Dawson and Chimbonda comments -both had excellent seasons.
    Berbatov will be going nowhere this Summer - but will in '08 if we a)don't make breakthrough and b) Spurs want to make profit.

Our problem is midfield - on Saturday i would have taken all 4 off!! (Tainio did have an injury)
    I don't see any place for Lennon in next 3 matches -it's show up and fight time and that's not his game at all. Similarly he completed exposes FB when there is a counter attack. Give me Ghaly or even Taarabat anytime.
    Malbranque can go now as far as i'm concerned.
    I wish Zokora could hit a barn door once in a while - has any keeper made a save from him? But mark my words before the season is out he will score a screamer and we will all collapse with shock!

Tough run in - Reading have easy fixture and amke take a place - Everton look our most likely rivals to catch, although Bolton seem to be in freefall. Our goal difference is bad also. Intertoto Cup - jeez, might play Cork City!
    Keane is getting a lot of stick in UK sites - but personally i don't rate Defoe at all - a lazy git with the Me Fein shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Keane has formed a good partnership with Berbatov, he's not immune from criticism but to suggest that he's not good enough to play with Berbs is simply not on.

I notice no criticism of Robbo or Lennon, both of whom need a kick up the arse.
    i was getting demoralised by the time i could get to lennon! in fairness he is often played out of position but he is not playing as he can, not convinced about dawson especially his distribution and keane? well his goals in thye league have been few and far between, he makes terrible runs, cant hold up the ball, flaps his arms around like a chicken in attempts to win a free rather than hold posession!! thats just my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

This is so like 95. I remember a 0-0 with Palace on Good Friday where we probably blew Europe and Klinsmann. I think criticism of Lennon is harsh. It's entirely typical for a youngster to tail off followin a world cup summer, esp as he has played so many games. We have a few main failings-

1- not defending set pieces. Since the start of the season against Bolton, we are porous on free kicks, corners, and even long throw ins. We need a left back who size and a tackle - I liked the look of Puerta of seville, we also need Curtis Davies. Dawson is our Terry. If Robinsin can't dominate his area, he isn't a long term option.

2- This is a new team. Berbatov, Chimbonda, Assou-Ettoko, Malbranque, Zokora- half our team in it's first season. Throw in Ghaly, Rocha, Taarabt (who I like). It took Carrick and Jenas 1 1/2 seasons to gel.

3- how we defand leads. Chelsea in the league summed it up for me. We won, but for 65-70 minutes we matched them , then we fell back and they pulverised us without scoring- since then so many examples, arsenal in the Lc semi and chelsea in the FA cup were notable, but braga away, man City away, last saturday. This is tactical, it is psychologcal, it is physical. we need to be bigger at the tackle, more aggressive in possession, especially when in front. Look at Man yoo, hardly a midfield powerhouse with carrick, scholes, giggs and ronaldo as first choice, yet thay push on and dominate. look at reading . last saturday down at the reebok, 3 goals in the last ten minutes- no fluke. At 2-1 up, thy put four men into the six yard area onto a cross in injury time- and scored.
    4- too many squad signings. From now on, any incoming must be either a first team player- a berbatov, Chimbonda or Zokora, or a lennon or Taarabt - young and really bright. No more Danny Murphy's and Lee young Pyo's - no offence, but we need to step up a level.
    5- This is now a very important phase. Finish 7th or higher- 7 points at least. Keep all our best players. Buy 4 playes max a centre back, a left back, a midfielder (Joey Barton anyone?) and a left sided attacker. If we buy a benayoun, that means lennon stuck on the left, and not enough bite. One coda, if defoe aint gonna start, maybe it's the road for him- bring in bent.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

I apologise for the spelling and punctuation, running off at the mouth a little I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I'm not sure where the problem is, but I can see the results.

There's some great play, and many great players (Dawson and Robinson included), many moments of brilliance (Dawson and Robinson included), and then there are woeful lapses of concentration for set pieces (Dawson and Robinson included) and some woeful distribution (again, Dawson and Robinson included).

It seems to be just a lack of concentration at crucial moments; Dawson heading backwards to a Seville forward; Robinson and Chimbonda (?) standing still as an Arse creeps in at the far post, etc.

If we stopped letting crappy, easy goals in from set pieces, we'd be up there with Chelsea and Manchester United, no problem. But despite a healthy "goals scored" and being reasonably high on the table, our goal difference is negative!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

Surely anyone who watches Spurs games with any degree of regularity can see that Robinson is a huge liabilty because he is incapable of coming off his line to take crosses. We have wonderful headers of the ball, but it's no use when you can loft a ball into the 6 yard box and have it contested by a striker everytime because the keeper will not take it. It's costing us an insane amount of goals.

As for Berbs, he is so frustrated by the lack of quality around him that I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to leave if a big club comes in. In truth he would be wasting his talent with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

I would have dropped him before Christmas. Cerny is more than capable.

Advertisement