Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can i get Pancetta?

• 23-04-2007 11:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

Im looking for somewhere i can get thick slices of Pancetta of a big roll, as in sliced in the shop. I saw a great recipe by James Martin that used this pancetta in a wicked carbonara and id love to get my hands on it...

Pancetta Head

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I'd say Little Italy would have it
    http://www.littleitalyltd.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Magic, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

also magills in clarendon street-love that shop- everything's delicious

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

There's an Italian shop just up from the Beechwood luas stop and Mortens that sells lots of delicious things including pancetta :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jebusmusic

Italian Deli place on Millenium Walkway (italian Quarter ppffft!!) has it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

There's an Italian shop just up from the Beechwood luas stop and Mortens that sells lots of delicious things including pancetta :)
    That's Best of Italy, great shop (and great value) for all such things.

The round pancetta is unsmoked while the rasher-type one tends to be smoked.

Donnybrook Fair also do it as do Listons on Camden Street.

If you are stuck for time Tesco also sell both pre-cubed and rasher-type in sealed packs. For many recipies these will be absolutely fine and they are very handy and widely available. Dunnes and M&S, peculiarly, do not seem to sell it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

the italian shop is a rip-off, you will get similar results with the pancetta bought from LIDL (they sell this thing cut in small cubes). I've tried to use the irish bacon, isn't bad, the only problem is that you should cut it by yourself =)

Actually pancetta is the italian world for 'bacon'.

To cook a real carbonara you have to be very careful, especially when you put the eggs, I think that any flavour of bacon could be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Pancetta has a very distinct taste to "bacon" as such (it's cured, spiced and dried) and you will not get anywhere near the same taste by using Irish/Danish bacon. In particular cubed "bacon bits" really don't work.

Best of Italy is far from a rip-off; cheese and ham prices are a fraction of the supermarkets' (e.g. Parmesan for €20/kg, Parma/San Daniele Ham for €27/kg, Feta for €1.99/pack.)

Lidl are good value/quality and if they sell something called "pancetta" in cubes it is more than likely decent and will work taste-wise.

Advertisement