Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O2 Mobile Phone Insurance Question

• 23-04-2007 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

For the sake of argument...

If I signed up with O2, then added insurance after sign-up, then lost my phone inside the first 60 days, could I do the following - get a new SIM, borrow an O2 handset, use this as a temporary phone, then claim for the original phone after the 60 days?
    I would need to lie about when the phone was lost, but not that it was lost. Ethics of lying to insurance companies aside - would I get away with this?

All this is, of course, purely theoretical.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 simp

Or should I just go to Komplett and buy a €100 phone - as a year's worth of insurance plus a €35 excess is going to cost me over €100...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

I had insurance from o2 afew years ago and my phone got snatched from me in the city.I went to o2 and they said they couldnt do anything because it was stolen within the 60 days.
    I never got insurance again.As i think its a waste of time and money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭lfc1892

If you insure the phone in the shop before leaving, it is covered immediately.

If you are making a claim, it must be within 30 days of reporting it lost / stolen. It HAS to have been reported to the network within 24 hours of it going missing.

lfc1892 wrote:
    If you insure the phone in the shop before leaving, it is covered immediately.

If you are making a claim, it must be within 30 days of reporting it lost / stolen. It HAS to have been reported to the network within 24 hours of it going missing.

No that wasnt the way it worked before.I got it through o2 and they said i cant claim until 60 days after policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Akula

And any investigation of it will reveal that your IMEI disappeared off the network substantially earlier and that you were using a different IMEI on your account.

This is fraud... so I wouldn't risk it.

• Advertisement

Akula wrote:
    And any investigation of it will reveal that your IMEI disappeared off the network substantially earlier and that you were using a different IMEI on your account.

This is fraud... so I wouldn't risk it.

Can the networks check that up and see what imei is used on what sim card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Yes they can. And fraud hurts us all.

How dull. Oh well, I'm a terrible liar.

So I'm probably better off buying a cheap phone from komplett.ie, getting a new sim for that, and waiting for upgrade time?

simp wrote:

So I'm probably better off buying a cheap phone from komplett.ie, getting a new sim for that, and waiting for upgrade time?

Check out ebay its cheaper than komplett

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭billbond4

Just about O2 checking if your phone was stolen.

If O2 were to check if your phone was stolen, i.e. track when and where your IMEI was last active legally they have to contact the Gardai.
    Because,
    You will love this
    If they didnt contact the gardai, o2 would infringe the data rights of the criminal that has stolen YOUR phone !!!
    Brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭lfc1892

drdre wrote:
    No that wasnt the way it worked before.I got it through o2 and they said i cant claim until 60 days after policy.
    Who told you that? It's incorrect. If you upgrade or buy a new phone and take insurance out in the store at that time, you are fully covered. However, if you don't take out the insurance in the store and wait a day or so, then the 60 day rule applies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

simp wrote:

i thought this was all hypothetical :p

Absolutely hypothetical. I'm just thinking it all through. I have a very active imagination.

Anyhow, in theory I bought the phone online and did not tick the insurance box, instead I hypothetically registered for insurance online later.

Now, let's say that I do register the phone as stolen, and fail to make an insurance claim because of the 60 days rule - is there any point my keeping the insurance, as it, probably, does not apply to the replacement phone which I pick up on eBay?

Yes you should cancel your insurance. Your ebay phone will not be covered by the insurance. Hypothetically of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

lfc1892 wrote:
    Who told you that? It's incorrect. If you upgrade or buy a new phone and take insurance out in the store at that time, you are fully covered. However, if you don't take out the insurance in the store and wait a day or so, then the 60 day rule applies.
    Correct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

JohnnieM wrote:
    Correct
    Not with an upgrade. It's 60 days unless taken out with your initial signup.

Thanks for the advice peoples. I will (theoretically) go now to eBay and look for something suitable as a replacement for the (supernice!) K800i which I lost while very very drunk (in theory)... Doh!

simp wrote:
    for the (supernice!) K800i which I lost while very very drunk (in theory)... Doh!
    ouch (in theory)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Shredneck

From O2.ie http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Shop/Find+out+more/Insurance/

Phonecover insurance (pay monthly)
    What it costs
    O2 Phonecover costs just €6.00 a month. This cover applies to mobiles worth up to €400 replacement value.

What's covered with phonecover insurance
    Phonecover is available on any mobile phone registered and approved with O2 Ireland Limited.

Lost or stolen mobiles

Send us a correctly completed claim form and a policy excess payment of €35.00 and we will send you a replacement mobile within one working day. Your new phone will be identical to the one that was lost or stolen. If your model of phone is not available, a replacement model with the closest functionality available will be sent up to the value of €400.00 replacement value including VAT.

Damaged mobiles

We will provide you with a mobile while your mobile is being repaired. If your mobile cannot be repaired, we will replace it. Again, your new mobile will be identical to your damaged mobile. However, if your model of phone is not available, a replacement model with the closest functionality available will be sent.

Accessories

Lost or damaged batteries, battery chargers, hands free kits and cases are all also covered.

Misuse of airtime

If calls are made on your mobile after it has been reported lost or stolen to O2 customer care and the Gardai, we will cover the cost of these calls to a maximum of EUR750 including VAT.

What's not covered with Phonecover
    The first €35.00 of any claim
    Repairs that are covered by your mobiles warranty or mechanical breakdown
    Mobiles stolen from an unattended vehicle, unless they are in a glove compartment or locked boot
    Claims as a result of undue care or negligence
    Claims which are not notified to the Gardai or O2 Customer Care within 24 hours of your becoming aware of the loss or theft
    More than two claims in any 12 month period
    Completed claims not returned within 30 days of loss or theft
    Claims made within the first 60 days*, unless the policy was taken out when first connecting to O2.
    Loss, destruction or damage when the SIM card is not in the mobile phone.
    Any mobile phones that are unable to be registered and approved with O2 Ireland Limited.
    * Please check your next O2 bill for the exact date from which you are covered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Brianb8802

Your ebay phone will not be covered by the insurance. Hypothetically of course

I bought a phone of ebay last year and transferred my O2 insurance onto the ebay phone. Then a few months later the phone got water damaged, and there was no problem using insurance to get a new one

• Advertisement

Brianb8802 wrote:
    I bought a phone of ebay last year and transferred my O2 insurance onto the ebay phone. Then a few months later the phone got water damaged, and there was no problem using insurance to get a new one
    o2 didn't have a problem insuring a phone they didn't sell? didn't think they would but fair enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Brianb8802 wrote:
    They must have taken the details for the phone on yoru account or something. They can't add non O2 phones to your account.

I had an agent before put a note on my account to say my W810i was covered (when O2 didn't sell them and I got it on Expansys) and she said this would be fine. Other agents confirmed that it wouldn't be acceptable, and Phonecover themselves told me twice they wouldn't cover it.

You got lucky :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Brianb8802

ciaranfo wrote:
    They must have taken the details for the phone on yoru account or something. They can't add non O2 phones to your account.

Ya there was somethign up when i tried to register the imei with them, the guy said it just wasnt going onto the system but he just put a notice on my account that this was the phone i had insured. He said when you you make a claim, the insurance company ( think O2 use eagle star) rings O2 to see what phone you have registered with them, and then they send out your replacement

Brianb8802 wrote:
    Ya there was somethign up when i tried to register the imei with them, the guy said it just wasnt going onto the system but he just put a notice on my account that this was the phone i had insured. He said when you you make a claim, the insurance company ( think O2 use eagle star) rings O2 to see what phone you have registered with them, and then they send out your replacement
    so you didn't actually tell them it wasn't one of theirs? that would be why it was accepted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

AFIK.. Its got to do with them supporting the model... Once its a phone type on their range your ok.... I remember getting a 6600 in Italy a few years ago before they were available from O2 \and they wouldnt insure it.. Bout six months later when they were on their range I rang back and got it covered no problem..
    Only the other day I transfered the wifes O2 phone insurance on to what was a Vodafone 6230i no problem..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭( . )( . )

i bought a LG shine from expansys, how can i get it insured? o2 said they won't as it's not on their network.

any ideas?

( . )( . ) wrote:
    i bought a LG shine from expansys, how can i get it insured? o2 said they won't as it's not on their network.

any ideas?
    contact eagle star yourself maybe? the worst they can say is no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭( . )( . )

true, never taught of a company outside the networks.

lfc1892 wrote:

I was told by the o2 shop on grafton street.I had a garda letter saying my phone got stolen and o2 did nothing so i never got insurance again.I use high end phones so its really just luck now.As i dont trust paying any company money for insurance as i dont feedl they will help if my phone gets lost or stolen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Shredneck

Did you contact Phonecover (Eagle Star)??

Advertisement