Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bad Car Month

Options
  • 23-04-2007 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭

bloody hell what a month ,
    Failed the NCT once , fix parts , and then Fail again Just barely on emissions ,
    Ordered a new Lambda and Cat for the car cause It has to pass cant buy a new one just bought a house , I avoided the Traffic jams in limerick this morning Right up until my Feckin Timing belt went , No bang or anything engine just shut down , I'm hoping an praying its not complete wanked ............Thanks to BlueDrax of boards to for Sourcing me a replacement engine just in case.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭( . )( . )

what's the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Joeface

tis an Integra ... whats left of one at the moment any way

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

My month hasnt been great either...

Car service cost me nearly €600 cause parts for the gearbox and an oil sensor were needed (but half of that was still labour), hit a very bad pothole in Tara (€90 for new tyre) and then while out on the Nobber road a passing truck through up a stone and cracked the windscreen (not bad, but it's the 2nd crack in about 6 months and likely gonna cost me a new windscreen).

Altho.. I rang the County Council the other day and ate the head off their infrastructure dept/senior engineer and am gonna try claiming the costs back under public liability as the roads in most of the Meath area are terrible and dangerous - has anyone here ever (sucessfully) managed this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Joeface wrote:
    bloody hell what a month ,
    Failed the NCT once , fix parts , and then Fail again Just barely on emissions ,
    Ordered a new Lambda and Cat for the car cause It has to pass cant buy a new one just bought a house , I avoided the Traffic jams in limerick this morning Right up until my Feckin Timing belt went , No bang or anything engine just shut down , I'm hoping an praying its not complete wanked ............Thanks to BlueDrax of boards to for Sourcing me a replacement engine just in case.

Sell the House and rent!, with the extra money you save every month plus house depreciation over the next few years , buy a new car:D :D:D

Sorry for your troubles..:(

I spent the guts of 3000euro on timing belt service and full service along with trying to find the source of a rattle (which the garage never found but charged me for looking!)

and another 2000euro 6 months later to fix the rattle, which i found!... f**king garages!!

i would sell the house only fixing the car is actually less pain full , selling the house would result in me waking up with my nuts in a blender some morning, And hope fully as the cousin is A Mechanic , he will be nice on the labour charges

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

My car's having a bad month too, although luckily it's costing others to fix it, not me.

Good Friday I was away for the day but left my car at home. Builders next door decided to park a concrete mixer in the neighbouring driveway and mix mortar all day. My car was covered totally in dust which turned out to be cement and sand dust. Heavy mist that night, settled on the car. Bright sun Easter saturday and guess what, the cement set on the car. Power washer would not remove it. Myself, the builder and two of his employeed spent two hours on Easter Saturday trying to clean it, to no avail. Had to give it to valet company for a day to clean it, the builder paid for it. At least it came back 100%

Next, failed NCT on the Tuesday after Easter, worn suspension ball joint on drivers side.

Left it into main dealer on Saturday morning. They said would be one hour. Came back, was told it was done. Paid bill and waited outside for them to drive it out of the workshop. 10 minutes passed and a mechanic came out and said they had a problem, they did the wrong side, passenger instead or driver side.
    Another hour. Returned an hour later, waited, waited, waited. Finally mechanic came out again, said they had a problem, they bent the wishbone while pressing the ball joint in with a hydralic press........ They now have to replace the wishbone. At least I don't have to pay for the second ball joint or the wishbone, which I imagine would be quite expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

My car's having a bad month too, although luckily it's costing others to fix it, not me.

Good Friday I was away for the day but left my car at home. Builders next door decided to park a concrete mixer in the neighbouring driveway and mix mortar all day. My car was covered totally in dust which turned out to be cement and sand dust. Heavy mist that night, settled on the car. Bright sun Easter saturday and guess what, the cement set on the car. Power washer would not remove it. Myself, the builder and two of his employeed spent two hours on Easter Saturday trying to clean it, to no avail. Had to give it to valet company for a day to clean it, the builder paid for it. At least it came back 100%

Next, failed NCT on the Tuesday after Easter, worn suspension ball joint on drivers side.

Left it into main dealer on Saturday morning. They said would be one hour. Came back, was told it was done. Paid bill and waited outside for them to drive it out of the workshop. 10 minutes passed and a mechanic came out and said they had a problem, they did the wrong side, passenger instead or driver side.
    Another hour. Returned an hour later, waited, waited, waited. Finally mechanic came out again, said they had a problem, they bent the wishbone while pressing the ball joint in with a hydralic press........ They now have to replace the wishbone. At least I don't have to pay for the second ball joint or the wishbone, which I imagine would be quite expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I feel your pain too. 2 weeks out of my car's warranty, and I was stopped at traffic lights. When I went to change gear after pulling away, it wouldn't go into gear. Got towed to the garage by the AA - needed a new slave cylinder and clutch kit - £500!! They also discovered a rattle and said the heat shield needed to be replaced - so did that.
    And now this morning the rattle is back :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Sorry to hear of the troubles folks, had my car since august, only thing i had to shell out was for a servce 38€ and two front tyres 110€ and that for 12k mls of driving:o

Just remember the more that ya fix the less will go wrong.

-VB-

RESULT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just got the call form the cousin , The operation was a success , Timing belt replaced no damage done , THANKS BE GOD AND THE GOD OF CARS AND ENGINES:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

Joeface wrote:
    RESULT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just got the call form the cousin , The operation was a success , Timing belt replaced no damage done , THANKS BE GOD AND THE GOD OF CARS AND ENGINES:D

Praise the Lord! You were lucky dude :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Joeface wrote:

it may not be an interference engine? I know some old volvos were like this and the belt breaking just meant you broke down and needed a tow.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

maidhc wrote:
    it may not be an interference engine? I know some old volvos were like this and the belt breaking just meant you broke down and needed a tow.
    I'd be surprised if a Honda were like that, although i'm no mechanic. My guess is the OP was just very lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭ctc_celtic

honda integra engines are interference, 1.6 and 1.8, not sure of the newer model. some toyota engines are non-interference (3sge- MR2) but even then there is no guarantee of no damage being done.

if the OP's car was stopped in traffic and so not being revved very high when the belt snaps, the there is a better chance of no damage being done. pistons not traveling as fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'll chip in with a bust rear ABS speed sensor, annoyingly expensive item new so I'm looking for a used one, an a worn inner CV joint.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Just a full service + cost of new front brake pads (€294 total)... and motor tax (€400 :eek:) this month :/

Am actually I wasnt stopped in traffic , I had avoided all the Heavy traffic by going on back roads to work , I was doing 80kph when the timing belt broke.

I just hope every thing stays work now , cant afford to change cars at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭kaizersoze123

Ill add mine in. 2 new wing mirrors & sprayed (160 euro)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....mmmmm, spent 36.5k on a new Galaxy..........937kms later (1 week), engine management light.............1 week off road, but now back. Very depressing, the whole idea of getting a new car was so that'd it'd be better than a used one................possibly not, I guess...

btw, my MX5 is a non-intererence engine too. Handy !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭iremex

kinda have a merc (SL320), i think, but i have forgotten what it looks like as it has been in the mechanics garage for the past 4months getting work done to it. i wouldnt mind only i had driven it for probably a month before the problems started arising!

• Advertisement
Advertisement