Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

360 Wireless adaptor alternative ?

• 23-04-2007 11:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My brother just got his 360 at the weekend and wants to have the 360 downstairs connected to his wireless broadband signal from his router.

Is his only option the official XBox 360 Wireless Adaptor?

If there is an alternative wireless adaptor...could anyone recommend one...preferably cheaper than the MS €85 official one!

Cheers,
    Brian.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

if you want the 360 to connect to your router via wireless you only have one option and that is to buy the xbox 360 wireless adaptor .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Take a look online.
    You'll find it cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭hurleyd

You can buy a wireless bridge or buy a linksys WRT54GL router (linux version) and turn it into a wireless bridge using an unofficial firmware. They'll need to take up another plug though while the official adapter runs through the usb port of the 360.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Another alternative is to use the "Homeplug" option. It uses the mains elecricity wiring in your house to carry the network signal.

I've ordered some and waiting to see what they are like (the 85MB/s model). I read on previous threads that they are great and make your home networking much easier and faster / reliable than using Wireless. There's supposed to be a 200MB/s model coming out soon, but I don't see the point as the Xbox only has a 100MB/s Network card (not a Gigabit Network card).

That said, I don't know how much they'll add on to your ESB Bill.
    Also, you'll use one extra plug by your Broadband Router, one extra by the Xbox and one potentially one more by your PC).

As soon as they come in I'll add an update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭johnnyflav

Can you let me know how you get on with the ethernet over power, would consider changing from my wireless to that if it's any good.

Wireless is fine for gaming etc, but not much use for streaming media from PC. This would sort that right out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

i just bought a 30 metre ethernet cable off ebay for E15 and put it through the attic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

ciano1 wrote:
    i just bought a 30 metre ethernet cable off ebay for E15 and put it through the attic
    I was thinking of doing that and IMO it is a good option because it is a cheap and fast connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

I think that is what he has settled on doing now. MUCH cheaper option and probably more reliable. Cheers.

Advertisement