Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car clocking

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Its a 2000 polo, with around 45k on it.3 owners.I know it might be right but im just confirming that its not clocked.I have no problems with the car it looks clean, and not abused.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

drdre wrote:
    Its a 2000 polo, with around 45k on it.3 owners.I know it might be right but im just confirming that its not clocked.I have no problems with the car it looks clean, and not abused.

Why not try and contact the previous owners for details on milage crash history ect?

Altreab wrote:
    Why not try and contact the previous owners for details on milage crash history ect?

How can you get contact details of previous owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

maidhc wrote:
    Most independent mechanics worth their salt make a record of the jobs they do.

Rerra. Why do people think you have to go to a main dealer to get a job done right FFS???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

kbannon wrote:
    I believe that Mr.Diagnostic on here may be able to help!

QFT, im sure he or somebdy he know could check the mileage recorded in the ECU for a nominal fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Dont the NCT log the cars odometer when doing a test? Therefore, assuming the car is around 6 years old, it should have done 2 NCT's. Are there any NCT reports included with the car, OP? It might give you some indication of mileage history.

Whether or not the NCT crowd would issue this information to a third party is questionable though - probably not.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

gyppo wrote:
    Whether or not the NCT crowd would issue this information to a third party is questionable though - probably not.
    The NCTS cannot give out this info under data protection laws apparently - even if they spot an clocking case during a test!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

drdre wrote:
    Alright thanks, what garage do you work in.

Jaysus. Couldn't be telling you that! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

kbannon wrote:
    The NCTS cannot give out this info under data protection laws apparently - even if they spot an clocking case during a test!
    Can't you ask to see previous NCT certs? The mileage is recorded on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

kbannon wrote:

Yeah, I had a feeling that data protection legislation would put a stop to that.

Afaik, under the uk mot system, the cars odometer reading at mot time is entered into the national mileage register, to which hpi.com have access to. Its by no means foolproof, but its a pity such a system doesnt exist here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

In the Netherlands not only do the mileages at which their NCT equivalent, the APK, is done get entered into a central database, but also all garages that are members of BOVAG, their equivalent of the SIMI, record mileage whenever any work is done on a car and this too is centrally recorded.

If the Dutch can do this and not feel they're impinging on anybody's "rights", then so can we. Data protection my @rse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

You never can tell for certain but I always make the assumption :

"No log book" = "car is clocked"

You might be unlucky and be passing a bargain (if the price is low do you think its just because they like you?) but its far more likely you're leaving a con behind. Not that the log book is a cast iron guarantee either, but there are plenty out there with proper service histories, so why bother taking the risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

kbannon wrote:

My understanding is that if you provide them with the VIN, they will give you the mileage details.

I really don't think the DP Acts stretch as far as including the mileage at which your car was NCTed within the definition of the "personal information" which it seeks to protect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

Sandwich wrote:

"No log book" = "car is clocked"

Huh ? ? Service history maybe ? ? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

No log book = Car is nicked

Bond-007 wrote:
    No log book = Car is nicked

heheh thats a good one.
    Guys i was talking to the owner of the car and he said he serviced the car himself.Is service history a big issue when im selling it.i can just buy a service book online and then get it serviced from a proper vw dealer and get it stamped.i think its still as good as service history as its got nct and then it will have a proper vw service with a stamp.what do you guys think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

If the car is clean and tidy, with no signs of wear for its mileage then go for it.

VW do use fairly high quality materials for the interior so wear on the driver's seat, gear knob, steering wheel etc won't necessarily show. A mate recently sold a Polo with 107k miles on the clock, and the interior was in excellent condition... almost like new.

There are a couple of things you can check if the mileage is apparently very low:
    1. Are any of the factory fit tyres still on it? Do your research. Many factory fit tyres will last 60k on the back wheels.
    2. Check the "lip" on the brake discs. If there is a pronounced lip the mileage may be high. Tho this is a bit of an art form in itself.
    3. Check for things that typically wear out after a given mileage. Some VWs need front suspension bushes/wishbones quite early on. Clunking or knocking in the front suspension are typical symptoms. Again, research.

And finally ask the seller did he/she keep records of services, when they were done, what was done, and at what mileage. I always do... it's not that hard. And if the seller seems genuine, he/she probably is. If there is some tall and complicated story, then think twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭ctc_celtic

if it doesn't have a history, i wouldn't worry about it, get a mechanic to look and if he's happy then buy it.
    assuming you keep the car for 2 years, it will be 9 years old when you sell it, and then condition will be more important than service history.
    just keep every receipt you get while you have the car, and that will be a bonus when you sell it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

drdre wrote:
    heheh thats a good one.
    Guys i was talking to the owner of the car and he said he serviced the car himself.Is service history a big issue when im selling it.i can just buy a service book online and then get it serviced from a proper vw dealer and get it stamped.i think its still as good as service history as its got nct and then it will have a proper vw service with a stamp.what do you guys think

He should still have receipts for stuff he bought. Service history, or other evidence of regular servicing is important.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I would agree - if they didn't bother keeping details of the car then they are either careless and I would presume they treat the car in the same way or else they are trying to hide something.

• Advertisement
Advertisement