Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Watching / Last Match, Event or Documentary You Saw

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Terra Ryzing V larry zybysko WCW circa 1994

Triple H does his best impression of ric flair in this match (its so uncanny he even looks like flair :D). As the two northern boyz on commentary say; its hard to believe that ten years later he would be a 10 time world champ, married to Vince's daughter and basically running the show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Been Watching the ROH:Tokyo show tonight. A fun litle show. Itsquite surreal to watch an ROH show in the reserved atmosphere generated by the Japanese audience.

The matches are a mixed bag, with the quality slowly increasing throughout

The opener Romero/Richards vs Evans/Suzuki is below average, theres a lot of sloppy moments and Jack in particular is a litle below par here.

The next two matches with two NOAH trainees and Rave /Whitmer are instantly forgettable.

Match of the Night and indeed an ouside shot for MOTY is Shiozaki/Danielson. Excellent match. The psychology throughout is really really strong here, Danielson persistently works the arm having realised that Go can easily outstrike him. Shiozaki sells the arm really realy well and consistently. The finishing stretch is edge of your seat stuff. Fozzy is right, Danielson is even better now than during his title reign last year. Whereas last year his matches were slow and methodical, this year he has injected more intensity and more MMA style offence and seems to have the atitude that he should be killing his opponents off quicker. This guy truly is the best around at the moment and his resume of great matches this year grows by the month.

Delerious and Roderick Strong have a decent enough Fight Withouit Honour. Some nice spots with a ladder and a chair propped in the corner even prompt a "Holy Sheet" chant from the Japs at one stage!!!.

The 6 man tag Briscoes.Marufuji vs Sydal/Marvin/Aoki is a fun little match with a lovely finishing sequence. First time viewers of Marvin in particular will be well impressed. Once again I'm struck at how graceful and clean Sydal's offence is. Always a pleasure to watch, people underestimate how much he'll be missed as a consistent bright spot on their undercard. Briscoes, as ever, are just great. The little things they do such as Mark holding Aoki up for a suplex while at the same time taunting his opponents into reaching for a tag, really do make a diffference.

The main event is a very good match. Typical McGuinness fare here, lots of stiff clotheslines which will annoy some, but quite frankly is just fine by me. Morishima deserves more credit than he has been given for his ROH title reign, he has had several of good to very good matches with a variety of opponents of differing styles.

Overall a fun little show that has the added benefit of above average production for an ROH show seeing as how it was taped for Samurai TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

WWF Superstars: December 1991-April 1992

Again, it's Superstars so dont expect five star matches but again, we were at the point that WWE could do no wrong. Flair had made his debut and was hot off his feud with Roddy Piper and thrown into the main event picture with Sid, Hogan and Undertaker. Tuesday In Texas came and went (and tanked in the PPV ratings). With Hogan getting his 4th title win over Undertaker, but due to interference, was stripped of the title. With Tunney putting it up for grabs at the 1992 Royal Rumble. Because it was Flair's interference, and in the interest of fairness. Undertaker and Hogan got to choose between numbers 20-30.

The new year rings in, and one of the beauty things of Superstars was if a segment happened on either Challenge or a House show, it'd be shown in it's entirety. Cue the Barbershop segment. The Rockers had been teasing a breakup since before Survivor Series 91. Rockers lost their tag match against the LOD due to Jannettys clumsiness and Shawn's overconfidence and the two of them punched each other out. The following week Shawn had a 1 on 1 with Ric Flair and Marty came down to even up for Hennig's interference, but caused Shawn to be DQ'd. So the barbershop segment was Beefcake's attempt to heal the wounds. We know what happens here, they shook hands, the hugged and then Shawn superkicks Marty and then throws him through the Barbershop window.

Royal Rumble came and went. Bret is stripped of the IC title (kayfabio tells us he lost to the Mountie due to a 104 degree temp, in actuality, Bret threatened to jump to WCW as he was unhappy with his contract). So by the time the Rumble is finished, Roddy Piper is the IC champion as he beat The Mountie, and Flair draws #3 and wins the thing after dumping Sid out with Hogans help from the outside. A decision that was cheered by the heel friendly New York crowd much to WWE's disgust that they overdubbed the cheering of Hogan being dumped out and Flair winning with booing on the TV programming.

Natural Disasters get screwed out of their title shot by Jimmy Hart as Hawk got injured and Hart claimed the team should be substituted by a fairer team, being DiBiase and IRS, with the consent of the Natural Disasters. It would later be revealed that the ND knew nothing about this, and of course, DiBiase and IRS won the belts and Money Inc, was born, ND turn face and that match is signed for Mania VIII

Speaking of Mania VIII. Hogan v Flair is signed for the card, much of the disgust of Sid, accusing Tunney of favouritism. Hogan and Sid are paired in a tag team against Undertaker and Flair, only for Sid to turn heel on Hogan and walk off. Afterwards the match is called off and Hogan has to face Sid while Flair gets to face Savage for the title. Unfortunately it got a bit messy as they signed the match and then added the angle, the "she was mine before she was yours" angle that had been done to death by Flair down south.

Meanwhile at said Saturday Nights Main Event, Savage is hot off his feud with Jake after his victory, but Jake goes backstage with a chair to nail either Savage or Liz coming through. But Taker turns face and prevents this by grabbing the chair, his reasoning being that he didn't teach Jake about the dark side for his own personal gain. Meanwhile Bret challenged the winner of Roddy v Mountie to face at Mania 8, which leaves all the significant matches of the card signed.

Yeah, this was a great time to be a wrestling fan. Last episode i watched was the one after Mania 8, as they focus on a Warrior v Sid feud, Hogan is nowhere to be found, presumabely retired. Bret wins his IC title back and they're already talking about a Shawn v Bret IC title match, of course that got aborted in favour for Davey Boy. Savage v Flair continues on, and the rest is meaningless drivel as it goes downhill from here. But i'll get back that in the next post on this thread :D

VR!

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Wow, man, just so many memories encapsulated in that one post. The Barber shop, "Its not fair to Flair,": that period around early 1992 from Rumble to Mania is possibly my favourite time period in wrestling in any promotion. Thats down in no small part to the fact that I vividly remember all these angles as a kid and it was probably a time period when I was most obsessed with everything WWF related. I miss the days when i truly believed.:mad:

Keep these reviews up man,they're good for the soul!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,037 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I remember all that stuff from when I was about 9.

Brilliant stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Just watching a few things at the moment.

In my room I am watching IWA:MS Ted Petty Invitational 2006. Only 4 matches in, and dont know who won the tournamnet, but so far, the standout match for me has been Quack Vs Colt Cabana. Not seen much of Quack, but had it in my head that he was an overhyped flip machine. Not the case at all. He actually goes hold for hold in an excellent match. Cabana, as always brings comedy to the ring, but also he is a great wrestler.

Downstairs I am watching ROH: Fight At The Roxbury. Not sure why i bought this DVD as the card pretty much sucks top to bottom. On paper that is. Once I started watching I was happy. Briscoe Vs Steen, Sydal Vs Generico, and the stand out so far, the 6 man tag bettween the Reslience and the NRC. I love how ROH and NOAH in particular make 6 man tags look important unlike WWE where they tend to be an inconvenience. The 4 way match was excellent also with McGuinness, Hero, Quack and Castagnoli. Not normally a fan of these type match, but this had a great pace, told a nice story and had great action.

~~~~~~~

VR, hwere did you get those WWF Superstars? Old recordings or what?

Years of recording, trading and general hard work!
    I see i'm not the only one who watches different wrestling in different rooms. Usually i have a year of RAW in one room and Superstars in another, but the RAW's have bored me so i have The Ultimate Fighter in one room, and Superstars 92 in the other :D

VR!

Well its kind of 3 rooms, as I watch on the computer as well when I am exiled from my living room while herself watchs Americas Next Top Model and the likes.

Don't i know that feeling, between Two and a half men, The Cack Factor, Strictly Come Dancing and The King Of Queens... i am thankful for my collection

Lads, don't move in with the girlfriend, seriously! It's the most mind warping experience you'll ever endure!

EVER!
    VR!

At least you have other rooms/tvs!

I live with her in a one bedroom flat.

We have one 17" telly that just has basic cable.

Earphones and my laptop is my only escape!

• Advertisement

Ultimate escape, take it into the jax, run a big-ass bath, stick the lappy on the bog and watch whatever the hell ya want...

... then enjoy her banging the door down because suddenly she wants to use the jax. Thats when you say. "better ask next door darling, i'm gonna be here for a while!" :D

Yeah, i dunno how she sticks with me to this day either ;)
    VR!

Bathtub!

Well look at mister la de da!

Some of us don't have the luxuries you take for granted!

Last wrestling match I saw was a Malenko/Benoit tag match.

Can't remember who they were against for the life of me.

Lol, some of us got an apartment with a damn bath! Don't blame us for yer shortcomings. Having a bathtub in yer place is hardly la-de-daw! ;)

VR!

Ha ha its funny how we are all the same in our viewing habits!!!:D

Currently I'm watching an old VHS of Great American Bash 1991 on the Veedeo player in the sitting room. I've had it lying around for about 2 years since I bought it in a job lot on e bay for half-nothing. Its solid enough so far. Morton/Gibson former partners in the Rock n' Roll Express in the opener is a decent bout with some nice leg work and selling. In fact the thing that strikes me most about old NWA and early WCW is the quality of the selling and the PUNCHES. Man could those old school guys throw a good solid right hand.

Match number 2 is Dustin Rhodes/Tracey Smothres/ Steve Armstrong vs The Freebirds. Again a nice solid match. They really put Rhodes over strong. Finish is really nice with a bulldog/dropkick combo from Rhodes that I've not seen since. Next up is Pillman (under a mask as Yellow Dog i think anyway) against Johnny B Badd. Man does Johny B Bad suck the meat missile. Nothing much to see here, crappy DQ finish.

The Wrestlecrap kicks in with El Gigante Vs One Man Gang (is he the future Blue Meanie by the way, he certainly looks like him). People **** on Khali but he's ****ing Kobashi compared to Gigante. Best thing about this is a completely bizarre pre match promo by Kevin Sullivan OMG's valet. Wonderfully of the wall stuff. Had to take a break there, will finish watching today or tomorow.

Meanwhile on the DVD player I've decided to give some Chikara a chance with the wonderfully titled Retribution Rumble of Revenge and Rebellion to Remember.

First thing to bear in mind is that Chikara is by no means a workrate promotion.
    If anything they're a tongue in cheek parody of a lucha fed. Most of what they do is not to be taken seriously and anyone expected to be blown away by ROH style workrate is gonna be sorely disappointing. Chikara generally draw around 50 people to their shows as is the case here. The undercard is a mixture of typically poor indy fare and some genuinely funny stuff. Many of the characters are bizarre such as Darkness Crabtree who's gimmick is a masked geriatric luchadore. I genuinely laughed aloud at some of his schtick such as his slow motion running of the ropes and hurting his own back on some of his offence.

Chris Hero brings the goodness in a decent bout with Eddie Kingston. Hallowicked, Gran Akuma, Icarus and Ultramantis Black also look like solid talents. The main is an 8 man lucha match, with Jigsaw, now of ROH fame the obvious standout and Larry Sweeney his hilariously awesome self. I enjoyed this DVD. There's something charming about Chikara, who continue to thrive in spite of it all, producing good clean fun that you will genuinely laugh at loud at in places.(not in a bad way).

Finally on the aul laptop I'm watching the Dragon Gate PPV from February 2005.

Typical fast paced fare here. The Main Event between Blood Gen and Do Fixer is fantastic stuff and there's more hatred and more of a grudge match feel than the exhibition they put on in ROH the following year. Naruki Doi and Masaaki Mochizuki are great in this match, Mochi just kicks Doi's head clean off a few times, but Doi really elevates himself by taking everything the veteran throws at him and getting the eventual pin. The undercard is pretty decent too with another great 6 man and some comedy from the always fun Stalker Ichikawa, who's still immersed in his quest for a singles win.
    The only difficult thing about sitting through Dragon Gate's full shows is that a lot of the storylines are developed with mic work in the ring so basically i have to keep hunting on the net to try and find out if I've missed something important, (not being exactly fluent in Japanese, apart from Lariatooooand Tiga Drivaaaaa!!!). Minor gripe however.

gimmick wrote: »
    Just watching a few things at the moment.

In my room I am watching IWA:MS Ted Petty Invitational 2006. Only 4 matches in, and dont know who won the tournamnet, but so far, the standout match for me has been Quack Vs Colt Cabana. Not seen much of Quack, but had it in my head that he was an overhyped flip machine. Not the case at all. He actually goes hold for hold in an excellent match. Cabana, as always brings comedy to the ring, but also he is a great wrestler.

Wait till you see the match Quack has later in the tournament. I'll say no more for fear of spoiling your fun but its the best 10 min match I've seen in a LOOOONG time. Enjoy.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

flahavaj wrote: »
    Meanwhile on the DVD player I've decided to give some Chikara a chance with the wonderfully titled Retribution Rumble of Revenge and Rebellion to Remember.

Funny you should mention that, I watched my first Chikara DVD last weekend. I really enjoyed it. I'll review it a bit later

One Man Gang (is he the future Blue Meanie by the way, he certainly looks like him).

Nope, One Man Gang and the Blue Meanie are not the same person. One Man Gang is George Gray, he came into WWE in 1987 after Vince bought Bill Watts' UWF (bringing along Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Big Boss Man and Ted DiBiase with him). He remained that character until a few weeks after Wrestlemania IV when he finds his roots and reinvents himself as Akeem, the whitest black man since Phil Lynott. He had some notable feuds, specifically as a tag team of the Twin Towers with the Big Boss Man. Feuding with Hogan and Savage, The Rockers and Demolition before splitting up when Boss Man turned face. Akeem pretty mich faded into obscurity before leaving WWE before Survivor Series 1990. He returned to WCW as One Man Gang for a while. He went into semi retirement in 1992 with a couple of brief stints in ECW.

He had a heart attack in 2000 which caused him to lose a stack of weight. So much that he was called back as a once off in WWE to wrestle as Akeem for the Gimmick Battle Royal. Which he agreed to, problem was that he'd lost so much weight (ironically enough so did his tag partner Boss Man!) that he didn't fit into the Akeem costume anymore. So he wrestled as the Gang for it. He's still semi retired. Working the indy circuit occasionally.

Blue Meanie is Brian Heffron, a talentless slob who is a glorified comedy act, who's greatest accomplishment was boning Jasmine St Claire!

There ya go, hope that helps :D
    VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

watched survivor series 2002 earlier, always liked that event, missed spots a gogo aside the opening table match is quite good, brock drags a short and decent title match out of big slow,still looks damn impressive when he f-5ed him for the first time, crowd go ballistic for it

steniers debut was met with an absolutely massive pop,and he stiffed the crap out of matt hardy and chris nowinski

decent hardcore match between victoria and trish, great triple threat tag match between eddie/chavo, angle/benoit and rey/edge

good main event despite HHH nearly accidentaly getting killed by rob van dam early on in it, took some balls to gut it out to the finish,crowd go mental for michaels win

very good ppv overall,would give it 4 stars

Fozzy wrote: »
    Funny you should mention that, I watched my first Chikara DVD last weekend. I really enjoyed it. I'll review it a bit later

I bought the 3 nights of Tag World Grand Prix as well recently. Gonna watch this when i am done with TPI.

What I am wanting to get is some AJPW and CZW, the latter merely to have a rounded collection, cant see me liking it as I hate hardcore "wrestling".

krudler wrote: »
    watched survivor series 2002 earlier, always liked that event, missed spots a gogo aside the opening table match is quite good, brock drags a short and decent title match out of big slow,still looks damn impressive when he f-5ed him for the first time, crowd go ballistic for it

steniers debut was met with an absolutely massive pop,and he stiffed the crap out of matt hardy and chris nowinski

decent hardcore match between victoria and trish, great triple threat tag match between eddie/chavo, angle/benoit and rey/edge

good main event despite HHH nearly accidentaly getting killed by rob van dam early on in it, took some balls to gut it out to the finish,crowd go mental for michaels win

very good ppv overall,would give it 4 stars

First WWE DVD i ever bought! Amazingly done too, nice bastion of extras. Probably the best PPV that entire year closly followed by Royal Rumble.

VR!

• Advertisement

First WWE DVD i ever bought! Amazingly done too, nice bastion of extras. Probably the best PPV that entire year closly followed by Royal Rumble.

VR!

ahem summerslam 2002 :p

The Wrestlecrap kicks in with El Gigante Vs One Man Gang (is he the future Blue Meanie by the way, he certainly looks like him). People **** on Khali but he's ****ing Kobashi compared to Gigante. Best thing about this is a completely bizarre pre match promo by Kevin Sullivan OMG's valet. Wonderfully of the wall stuff. Had to take a break there, will finish watching today or tomorow.

One Man Gang and meanie would be the same person if meanie grew about 8 inches and put on about 100lb in weight :D

El gigante was much quicker than khali but his selling was awful. I am not sure khali is a better wrestler than gonzales who was a legit sportmans in his day (something i am not sure khali was). At 7'6 and 430lb it was always going to be tough to wrestle anyway, you try wrestling someone about 2 feet shorter than you (like gonzales did most of the time); you keep thinking you are going to hurt them.

I remember reading an article where big show stated that he had to be extremely careful in the ring because with his size and power he has the ability to break most wrestlers necks in a split second.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    ahem summerslam 2002 :p

Always found it over-rated. Michaels v HHH ruled the school and Kurt v Rey was a hot opener, the rest had been done to death that year and Rock v Brock did nothing for me.

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Always found it over-rated. Michaels v HHH ruled the school and Kurt v Rey was a hot opener, the rest had been done to death that year and Rock v Brock did nothing for me.

No it hadn't. Edge and Eddies programme was just beginning. The same can be said for RVD and Benoit. And Brock versus Rock was hardly old either.

I said it had been done to death that year, not before that event. ;) OK maybe not for RVD /Benoit as Benoit had defected to SD, but Edge and Eddie definitely had, especially when they'd done the tag matches.

And Undertaker v Test, how about that match of the year candidate eh? ;)
    VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

D, but Edge and Eddie definitely had, especially when they'd done the tag matches.
    !

That was Eddie and Edges first ever ppv match together. They had another a month later. Their feud culminated 2 months later in an awesome match on Smackdown.

I don't think they had been in many tag matches at that point either. The great tag match run on Smackdown really started from September on when they brought the tag titles back to the brand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Summerslam 2002 is one of my favourite ever events. I even thought Test and Undertaker had a fun match. Triple H wrestled the match of his life that night in my opinion. I loved how the crowd turned on Rock as well. As fondly as I look back on The Rock in WWE his babyface run was ridiculously stale at that point and the fans let him know it.

I recently decided to watch Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels in Hell of the Cell from In Your House. It still stands up well ten years on.

I think Summerslam 2002 is one of the strongest PPV's WWE ever put on in terms of the quality of the in-ring action. The Benoit match may have been the best non-gimmick match of RVD's career.

Ill have to agree, I honestly think Summerslam 2002 is in the top 5 of WWE PPVs of the 2000s. Taker / Test aside it was an awesome card top to bottom. The fact it still provokes debate 5 years on shows it had something going for it.

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »
    The fact it still provokes debate 5 years on shows it had something going for it.

So does Survivor Series 97! And that had very few matches going for it!!
    VR!

Advertisement