Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Watching / Last Match, Event or Documentary You Saw

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭ScumdogV2

flahavaj wrote: »
    Tenay was the shining light. I loved how he'd get all smarky when he was talking about the lucha or puro guys.

Heenan was phoning it in SO badly in WCW, his heart wasn't in it at all.

I actually think Schiavione gets too much criticism, he wasn't THAT bad.

Since I've put this DVD in, I've heard "in the history of our great sport" a few hundred times. I'm not sure why, but this has always gotten on my tits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

ScumdogV2 wrote: »
    Since I've put this DVD in, I've heard "in the history of our great sport" a few hundred times. I'm not sure why, but this has always gotten on my tits.

LMAO. Now that you say that, I can actually hear his voice saying it in my head. Brilliant.:pac:

Just stumbled across ECWA's Super 8 tournament from a few years ago where an unknown, young up and comer by the name of Austin Aries won. Been a while since I've watched this, might give it a watch tomorrow.

"Boring" chants in this Rey Mysterio/Prince Iaukea match. It makes me sad:(

ScumdogV2 wrote: »
    Just stumbled across ECWA's Super 8 tournament from a few years ago where an unknown, young up and comer by the name of Austin Aries won. Been a while since I've watched this, might give it a watch tomorrow.

"Boring" chants in this Rey Mysterio/Prince Iaukea match. It makes me sad:(

Thats a decent tourny. Isn't Psicosis in that wrestling as "Nicho" or something equally strange? A young Daivari as well, watch out for his finisher, its funny.

Thats a decent tourny. Isn't Psicosis in that wrestling as "Nicho" or something equally strange? A young Daivari as well, watch out for his finisher, its funny.

The yoke with the carpet?

• Advertisement

Aye, I got a kick outa that first time I saw it in that tournament!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Busy weekend of doing nada, so took in alot of wrestling, mostly japanese stuff. last night, i decided i would watch some ECW as once upon a time I loved everything ECW did.

So I pulled out a fond favourite in Heatwave 98. This is a typical ECW style show with pretty much an anything goes feel to it. Some decent match, most notably RVD & Sabu Vs Two Japanese fellas whose names I cannot remember and the awesome brawl that was Tanaka Vs Mike Awesome.

The main event though - what a pile of crap. Firstly the extended Dudleys family promo went on about 10 minutes too long. The heat was well built, but by the end the crowd, who are proof that most ECW fans must have been on crystal meth or something during events, were tired of the booing. The brawl that ensued was typical Dudleys/Sandman Dreamer fayre. Joey Styles just pissed me off throughout with his ridiculous OTT commentary, then we get the usual New jack run in. I despise New Jack, though he got a HUGE pop when his music hit. The visual at the end with the 3 ladders was great.

It brought back memories, but doubt i could stomach ECW sober.

On an amusing sidenote, I noted in the crowd, front and centre were a father and early teen son. The father looked unbelievably bored throughout the entire show, despite people going batshít all round him, and just seems to be eating from start to finish.

Just watched the double main event of Chi Town struggle from ROH in summer 2006. Austin Aries Vs KENTA which is, predictaby, a fast paced awesome fest. I love KENTA, I have gotten to like Aries. This match could not have gone wrong. Given plenty time to develop as well in about 20ish minutes.

Not to be outdone, the following match between Bryan Danielson and Colt Cabana is just fantastic. Colt is in front of his hometown crowd and is trying to avenge his 5 minute embarrassmnt of a loss to Dragon a few months previous. What we get is a fairly technical match, where both men really get to show off their personas as well. The finish is simply awesome.

Also, the other day I watched Joe & Jay Lethal Vs Homicide and Low Ki from Punk: TFC. Absolutely incredible match. Try get your hands on it. In fact, get that whole show. Its very very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I watched this a few months ago but it was the last old iMPACT! that I watched. It was the show where Chris Candido led The Naturals to the Tag titles (against AMW in a really great 20 minute match). It was taped a few days before Candido dies and shown a few days after Candido died and in a pre-match promo Candido said (paraphrased) "Nothing will stop me from seeing my boys win the titles". I thought it was a particularly poignant moment.

Got to love lazy xmas mornings. Watched Final Battle 08 this morning. An absolutely top class show. The Briscoes Vs Sasaki & Nakajima, the 6 man street fight, Aries Vs Black are all great enough to make this show a must see, but that is even before the double main event is mentioned.

McGionness V Marufuji is all sorts of awesome, a worthy main event of any card, but then there is the Fight Without Honour between Dragon and Morishima. I cannot describe how much I loved this match. Dragon again showed yet another string on his cosiderable bow. This time it was the intense, crazy brawler.

After the horror fest that is Wrestling At The Gateway, this was great to see that ROH had not indeed stalled to a halt post Gabe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Rud3Bwoy

I was at final battle front row live

tyler black vs aries

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

LMAO. Now that you say that, I can actually hear his voice saying it in my head. Brilliant.:pac:

lol :) make a drinking game out of it,every time you hear him say it take a chug :D

Just watched a couple of Kota Ibushi matches, that man is incredible.

Just watched a couple of Kota Ibushi matches, that man is incredible.

Whixh ones mate? Hes a phenomenon. Gabe Sapolsky describes seeing him for the first time as similar to the feeling of seeing something unique and special he got the first time he saw Sabu wrestle.

vs. Ishimori from April this year and a four man CHIKARA elimination match with Nick Jackson, El Generico and Jigsaw from March this year. That four man was one of the best spot fests I've ever seen. Incredible stuff.

vs. Ishimori from April this year and a four man CHIKARA elimination match with Nick Jackson, El Generico and Jigsaw from March this year. That four man was one of the best spot fests I've ever seen. Incredible stuff.

The Chikara 4 man is one of my matches of the year. One of those nights when you get four great guys in the ring who hit everything perfectly. Love it.

Theres one ridiculous segment from the Ishimori match thats like something from the Matrix.

Theres one ridiculous segment from the Ishimori match thats like something from the Matrix.

The bit where they repeatedly dodged kicks with nip ups? It took about fifteen minutes for my jaw to find it's way off the floor.

The bit where they repeatedly dodged kicks with nip ups? It took about fifteen minutes for my jaw to find it's way off the floor.
    Yup. Crazy stuff.

Have a look on you tube for the tag match Ibushi had with Marufuji vs KENTA/Ishimori. Unreal stuff.

Have a look on you tube for the tag match Ibushi had with Marufuji vs KENTA/Ishimori. Unreal stuff.

Funny you mention it, I just stumbled across that match: http://www.yousportz.com/video/8755/2008914--ROH--KENTA--Ibushi-vs-Marufuji--Nakajima

Decided it was a little late, so I have it pencilled in for first thing tomorrow morning. The wonders of Christmas holidays, I intend to spend more or less the next week and a half catching up on the piles and piles of wrestling I have backlogged.

Edit: My bad, different match but equally awesome looking. That's what I get for just glancing at the title and assuming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I watched some of WWF 1995: A year In Review. Pure nostalgia. I used to rent this tape at Christmas time so I stuck in on there last night spa that I am!

It's half decent - 123Kid vs Hakushi, Bret vs Diesel from RR, HBK/Razor Ladder match and the Triple Header tag title/WWF/IC title match.

It brings me back :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Was watching an old royal rumble (not sure of the year) and 1998-2000 royal rumbles. It's been years since I've watched wrestling so it was nice to look at it again.

Also seen this weeks ECW.

I watched MCMG Vs The Briscoes from ROH Return Engagement the other night. What a match. Incredibel pace throughout from 2 of the best tag teams in the world. i would argue this is a better match than their previous effort at Good Times Great Memories. The latter dragged a bit much and at 40 minutes, i think lost the crowd a bit. No such problems for this one though as the crowd are on their feet for the most part. Amazing innovation, crazy pace and some honest to god OMFG moments. Have to say is a 9.5/10 if ever I seen one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Was watching Survivor Series 93 the other day. The wrestling was pretty bad but Heenan's commentary made up for it so it was great. It was also the start of Owen Harts heel turn.

Got my Best of 2009 DVd through the leterbox yesterday, happy days. Some great stuff on it.

So far have watched:

RAW Elimination Chamber (2/15/09) Cena vs Knox vs Rey vs Edge vs Jericho vs Kane

Good match. If you look past the masive leap of logic you have to take with regards to Edge actually getting into the match (destroying Kofi beforehand and just walking into the cage), this is fabtastically enjoyable. Edge shows why he is absolutely wasted as a face these days, his facials in this when he realises Cena has been pinned and he has a chance at the gold is great. Really well booked, Cena going so fast is the big surprise and some great near falls between Rey and Edge down the finishing stretch. Rey is the star here with some great spots and innovative use of the chamber.

Masato Tanaka vs Yuji Nagata (1/4/09)
    Good, if a little short. Hard hitting sprint for the most part, Tanaka's blade job adds to the drama. A bit annoying how Tanaka's finisher has succumbed to Kurt Angle syndrome ie has been so abused that no one buiys it as a realistic way to end a match at all. Would have like another ten minutes of this and if they had dragged out the nearfalls.

Mitsuharu Misawa/Takeshi Sugiura vs Shinsuke Nakamura/Hiroki Goto (1/4/09)
    Misawa's last match at the Tokyo Dome, hard to believe he'd be dead a few months later. Possibly his last really good match as well. Enjoyed this much more than I thought I would. Misawa is by far the most over but he plays a peripheral role and sensibly allows the three young guys do the bulk of the work. Last 5 miuntes are really great with everyone hitting their finishers and some really believable nearfalls. All 3 younger guys elevated thelselves here big time.

Kurt Angle vs Jeff Jarrett (TNA 1/11/09)

These two really brought a great epic feel to this one and really conveyed a sense of hatred inthe match. Some big bumps early in the match including Jarrett nearly breaking his face off a suicide dive set the tone well. They built to their spots well and the blood was used well to add to the drama. Pity the guitar broke before Jarrett could use it as it was a spot they had built to throughout the feud and the chairshot seemed a let down in comparison. After an excellent match the finish seemed odd and out of place to me. No way should a big grudge match like this end on a pinning reversal IMO.

KENTA vs Kotaro Suzuki (NOAH 1/25/09)

Its not often KENTA is upstaged but the star of this match is undoubtedly Kotaro. When did he become such a brilliant heel? He channels Guerrero, Flair and every other amazing heel here in a remarkable, unexpected performance that had me genuinely believing his antics had levelled the playing field sufficiently for him to win. Theres one brilliant spot where he does teh old Eddie spot of throwing a chair at KENTA and pretending hes been hit with a chair, but makes it eveb better by covering his face with fake blood. The wrestling itself is also exceptional and there are some unreal reversals in and out of the Go2Sleep.

Exceptional match, must see stuff.

In fact, here it is. Do yourself a favour and watch it.

Took a break from the 2009 DVD to watch

Kurt Angle vs Ken Anderson Lockdown 2010

Sweet jesus what an epic epic match this was. Right from the moment they locked the cage they made this feel special. I liked that they started the match off slowly enough, using the cage as a weapon and not doing anything fancy other than beat each other up to convey their hatred. They fooled me a few times when I was sure they were going to escape the cage. The moonsault was absolutely mental, you'd have to say probably unnecessary, but also grudgingly admire Angle for his insane desire to risk everything to steal the show. Great brutal finish with the choke out as well.

Loved it. Will be unbelievably hard to choose between this and Taker/HBK at the end of the year. Certainly head and shoulders above anything Anderson as done in his rather underwhelming career thus far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Watched the Calgary Stampede in your house PPV there today, The Hart Foundation (Bret,Owen Jim, Davey, and Brian Pillman) vs Stone Cold,Ken Shamrock, Goldust, and The Legion of Doom (Hawk and Animal)

Great Match, told a story throughout, built and continued feuds, was just wrestling as it should be!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Was watching the first One Night Stand the other night, it was such a good show featuring all sorts of old ECW.. And the shoot promos were epic compared to a lot of the scripted stuff they have now.. Both the Raw and Smackdown Crusaders got such heat from the crowd, and the crowd itself was amazing, getting into everything.

My fav match was probably Mike Awesome v Masato Tanaka, Awesome went from being bood heavily to getting a standing ovation from the crowd. It was so bad though hearing Styles make the comment after one of Awesome's Suicide Dives.

Certainly head and shoulders above anything Anderson as done in his rather underwhelming career thus far.

It does show what WWE missed out on with Anderson as a heel. That match couldn't have been done with just any heel. Having watched the match again since, I'd actually put it above HBK/'Taker, it was just that epic. i loved how they tied the finish in with the rest of the feud with the medal, too often do the matches of a feud forget the build up entirely and this wasn't the case here.

Was watching the iMPACT! November 16th 2006 Prime Time special, the show that converted me to being a TNA fan actually, and that barbed wire cage match between Rhino and Christian was fantastic. Great way to blow off the feud.

• Advertisement

It does show what WWE missed out on with Anderson as a heel. That match couldn't have been done with just any heel. Having watched the match again since, I'd actually put it above HBK/'Taker, it was just that epic. i loved how they tied the finish in with the rest of the feud with the medal, too often do the matches of a feud forget the build up entirely and this wasn't the case here.

I'll admit I was never impressed with Kennedy's in-ring work in WWE, I found him a bit sloppy to be honest. But he was right on the button here. being in with Angle helps of course. It was a very satisfactory match all round actually, as you say I enjoyed the way the finish tied in with the basis of the entire feud. Its a nice bit of psychology that they'd always include in the olden days but seems to have been forgotten recently.

Advertisement