Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toshiba Equium m50-164 memory upgrade help

Options
  • 23-04-2007 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Hi
    My girlfriend has a toshiba equium m50-164 laptop with 512mb of ram i am looking to add another 512mb or 1024mb of ram but i dont want to break the bank either. The web site tells me that the laptop takes DDR2 PC2-4300 but they are hard to find also there are some DDR2 PC2-4200 there aswell can anyone tell me if i can use both types on the laptop like mix or just one type in other words are they both compatible with the laptop is one question and the other is can i mix them with what is in the machine at the moment. Also can you recommend some places where i can but this memory at good prices.
    Thanks for the help
    John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Crucial will always have the right RAM for your notebook. PC 4200 is DDR-2 533 which is easily available the laptop also takes DDR-2 667 as well.

Putting your system through the advisor tool comes up with this & you can buy direct from Crucial if you want.

As for which to go for well a 2GB kit for €99 is very reasonable. If on a tighter budget go for the 1GB kit for €58 instead.

Those kits means you will be removing the existing RAM not using instead replacing it with the modules in the pack if you wanted to keep the existing module then try this 512MB module for €29 to bring the total to 1GB.

However most laptops only have two memory slots if your laptop has 512MB of RAM total in a 2x256MB configuration then getting an extra 512MB will only net you 768MB total as you would have to take out a single 256MB module. You can verify how many RAM modules are in the system by A) opening the RAM compartment and taking a look or B) use CPU-Z and go to the memory tab and it will say how many modules are in the system.

You don't have to strictly buy from Crucial either though it would be 100% guaranteed compatible you can get RAM which is just as almost certain to work from Komplett & other places as well like this 1GB Corsair module for €61 or this Crucial 1GB module for €67.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

Thanks 8t8 for the good info it really helps a lot.

Advertisement