Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dodgy mobile

Options
  • 23-04-2007 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

Advice needed urgently !

Bought a Nokia 6233 Jan 8 from Carphone warehouse .
    Phone went on the blink a few times and could not access *100# for a while etc .. little things .. not much charge time etc ..they offered me a free bluetooth headset as a gesture of goodwill back in feb

So last night i went to put the charger into the phone and the little silver part of the charger cable that goes into the phone broke off and is now stuck in the phone !!

I didnt use brute force ! So obv there are major issues with this phone

My problem is i called carphone warehouse last nite and of course they gave me the usual spiel 'oh you have to take it back to the shop' which im planning to

But i dont want to pay 90 quid for a replacement (which is how much they charge) i just want rid of a phone which really is not up to much.. Have never had problem with nokia before and at this stage i want a refund as i dont trust the phone and just think the charger thing is a joke

Now i have the receipt and my understanding was that because it is defective i can go back and get at least a credit note if not cash but im being told by mates no way will they do that. I DONT want the phone repaired its a rubbish phone imo if with careful use the bloody charger falls apart !

So really my question is if anyone knows anything about consumer law where do i stand

Im going in later this afternoon so any advice on how to handle this much appreciated

B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

You meant to post this here didn't you? :) Reported for moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Cancer-chick

well its a personal issue is it not ??

I dunno .. tell me where i should be off to then

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

So really my question is if anyone knows anything about consumer law where do i stand

Given the above, I already suggested the consumer issues forum...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Dr.Bunson

Have never had problem with nokia before and at this stage i want a refund as i dont trust the phone and just think the charger thing is a joke

There's the problem, about a year ago Nokia appear to have binned the quality control process. EVERYBODY that I know that has got a nokia over the past year has serious hardward/software issues, myself included.

There used to be a nokia shop on dawson street where they would repair phones for free, I don't know if it is still there though.

Actually bunson im in Cork :(

However id have to agree with you iv heard a lot of people complain about them but for ease of use/txt they are the best imo

My phone literally died the day i bought it and the O2 store itself didnt have the 6233.. It was reviewed on a site i saw as 'very sturdy' so even though i had reservations i went ahead with the purchase in carphone

More fool me now i know

Im heading in there in an hr and cant even call the shop to speak to manager as the direct no from the shop goes to the main call centre

I dont know what they will say but if they try to charge me 90 for a replacement while in repair i think ill cry :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

you get to choose replacement/repair/refund not them

remember that.

even after 3 months though ??

im looking at the options and on the back of the receipt it says after 21 days it has to be sent off for repair
    but the thing is the phone is obviously rubbish thru no fault of mine ..

I spoke with the manager of the store in the end so he knows im coming in on the warpath :)
    But tbh hw sounded jaded anyway so i suspect he gets this a lot

heading in soon so if u have any advice on how to approach it id be grateful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Are you sure about that jaggeh?

I always thought they had to offer a minimum of a repair, followed by an exchange, a refund was just them being nice (unless it broke again after the first repair and then if you screamed loud enough they'd give you the cash to silence you).

They might also say you were heavy handed with the charger and that's why it broke off. From their point of view they don't know you didn't break it on purpose.

Just stay calm, reiterate you'd been in before about another fault with it and now, only 3 months since you bought it, half the charger is stuck inside the phone. If he's a nice (jaded lol) guy he might just give you a refund...or let you pick a different phone for the same amount/make up the difference.

Just an update..
    Went to store.. manager was fairly dead on and actually 1st thing said he would waive the 90 euro charge for replacement while my phone sent off

I thought that was fair enough .. he said it will have to be sent off but in not so many words told me that they have had a few of the same phone back and that ill get a new phone

Im not holding out much hope for a different phone so wil just wait and see but at least i didnt have to pay deposit for my replacement (which is not exactly hi spec ) !!!

Thanks to all who replied and hopefully ill have a happy update on this next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

jaggeh wrote:

remember that.

No you dont. It is up to the retailer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

jaggeh wrote:

remember that.
    you absolutely 100% do not. if the OP goes into the shop saying that she'll be just another person saying she knows her consumer rights who in fact does not

why would anyone choose to send their phone off for repair for two weeks if they could get a new one then and there or get a refund?
    Advice needed urgently !

Bought a Nokia 6233 Jan 8 from Carphone warehouse .
    Phone went on the blink a few times and could not access *100# for a while etc .. little things .. not much charge time etc ..they offered me a free bluetooth headset as a gesture of goodwill back in feb

So last night i went to put the charger into the phone and the little silver part of the charger cable that goes into the phone broke off and is now stuck in the phone !!

I didnt use brute force ! So obv there are major issues with this phone

My problem is i called carphone warehouse last nite and of course they gave me the usual spiel 'oh you have to take it back to the shop' which im planning to

But i dont want to pay 90 quid for a replacement (which is how much they charge) i just want rid of a phone which really is not up to much.. Have never had problem with nokia before and at this stage i want a refund as i dont trust the phone and just think the charger thing is a joke

Now i have the receipt and my understanding was that because it is defective i can go back and get at least a credit note if not cash but im being told by mates no way will they do that. I DONT want the phone repaired its a rubbish phone imo if with careful use the bloody charger falls apart !

Im going in later this afternoon so any advice on how to handle this much appreciated

B
    the problem there is with the charger, not the phone. i had a good rant going about this exact issue in mobiles a few weeks ago. the consensus was the new charger breaks all the time. its nothing to do with the 6233, its a problem with all nokias with the new charger

the staff in cpw know this and will be sympathetic but they will send it off for repair. they have no discretion in this matter. the policy is to send it off and they have no choice

you won't get a refund as its gone past the 28 days and even then they only give refunds if you change your mind. faulty phones are exchanged.

the €90 deposit is negotiable. you might be able to get them down to €35.

edit: having read the rest of the read i see you've already been in and confirmed what i said :)
    i didn't read the whole thread before replying because i didn't want you going in insisting that you have the right to choose between refund, replacement or repair. working in the industry, i know there's nothing more annoying that some idiot spouting about rights they don't in fact have.

once, a kid bought a phone and bent the pins of the charger (a sony ericsson) so obviously it wouldn't charge. when we explained that customer damage is not covered by the warranty, she said and i quote "you shouldn't sell phones to children that can be broken". apparently, phones should be indestructible. news to me

about "a few of the same phone back", they would have had a few of every phone back. that doesn't mean you'll get a new one. they'll attempt to repair it just like any other. you get a new one when its been back with the same fault three times

btw, i can see them charging you for a problem like this since it is considered customer damage despite the fact that the new chargers are obviously crap. before they do charged work, they'll phone you and ask if you accept the charge and if you don't, they'll send it back unrepaired.

in that case, some time with a tweezers or a pin might fix it :)

Thanks .. but apart from a loose guess that you work in mobile phone industry ..

really no need to eat me alive!!

I work in IT and we get muppets on the phone all the time to the point where u wonder if the general public are not grossly stupid .. I made a point of not being like that but i had a fair point so im sorry if u take crap vines but ..

cmon i didnt go to u :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

if the retailer knows there is a problem with the type of phone then its probably a bad batch and 'not of merchantable quality' a phone jack that breaks with careful use is so not sellable. but we still buy them because we are idiots.

if the manager admited that they get a lot of the same problems with that type of phone then by all means you are entitled to a replacement/refund.

Thanks .. but apart from a loose guess that you work in mobile phone industry ..

really no need to eat me alive!!

I work in IT and we get muppets on the phone all the time to the point where u wonder if the general public are not grossly stupid .. I made a point of not being like that but i had a fair point so im sorry if u take crap vines but ..

cmon i didnt go to u :)
    i wasn't eating you alive i was just explaining the situation. sorry if you thought i was being aggressive.

the people that you have to talk to on the phone and the people who think they have rights that they don't have all been affected by the ID ten T error, or ID10T.
    jaggeh wrote:
    if the retailer knows there is a problem with the type of phone then its probably a bad batch and 'not of merchantable quality' a phone jack that breaks with careful use is so not sellable. but we still buy them because we are idiots.
    again, those chargers are crap and i believe they were changed from the old reliable ones to create a market in replacements. the fact that the charger broke says nothing about the quality of the phone
    jaggeh wrote:
    if the manager admited that they get a lot of the same problems with that type of phone then by all means you are entitled to a replacement/refund.
    i'm afraid you're not unless there's some sort of official recall by the company. one managers opinion doesn't affect the corporate policy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

jaggeh wrote:

remember that.
    Not true.

Advertisement