Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista - Wireless connection gets cut when not used

• 23-04-2007 1:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have Vista Home Premium installed and all works fine. I am very happy with it. The only thing that bugs me is that the Wireless connection gets automatically cut if you don't use the PC for an hour or more (roughly).

I have tried several settings, but nothing seems to help. anyone has an idea? I would like to keep the connection alive, as a download might still be running etc.

It is not the Router, as i have a laptop with XP, and that one stays connected for as long as I want.

Any ideas?

cheers,
    DubDani

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Start->Run-> devmgmt.msc -> OK
    Expand the network adapters
    Right-click on the wifi card -> LEft-click Properties
    -> Power Management (IIRC) -> Untick \"Allow the computer to turn this device off...\"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

Im having a similar problem, but mine is when i boot up the vista laptop wireless is automatically on and i cant seem to find an easy way to turn it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

kinkstr go into the control panel\power options now for whatever profile you are using click "change plan settings" then click on "Change advanced power settings" work your may down the list till you find a Wireless entry.

Select the low power option for battery or plugged in and it should turn it off after no usage or at least minimize it's power draw. If it doesn't you may need special software that is part of the adapters drivers that auto switches it off like you see on Toshiba or Dell notebooks.

If you know the make & model of the laptop check out their site for the software.

Cheers 8T8, its a Dell Inspiron 6400, ill have a look at it when i get home. What id like ideally is just an icon on the desktop to enable/disable wirless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

You may need to install the "Dell Quickset", "Dell Notebook System Software" package and the Dell branded driver for the WiFi adapter as it contains the hooks required for the switching off function. There are a whole bunch of different WiFi adapters Dell uses in the 6400 so find out which one you have before downloading the driver.

• Advertisement

I have that Quickset program installed(came with the laptop) but the only network option is for "radio control options". The wireless adapter i have is a " Intel® Pro Wireless 3945 802.11a/b/g Mini-PCI Card (for Core 2 Duo Processor)".

Just realised using the FN and F2 keys enables and disables wireless:o
    So problem pretty much solved i guess, thanks for help.

kink

Advertisement