Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion Timer Switch / Gas Boiler Setting

Options
  • 23-04-2007 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi there,
    I'm looking for a timer switch for my immersion to feed the showers in the morning as I don't have the central heating on.
    Is it possible to get a switch that integrates the timing and also the sink/bath switch on the existing immersion?

Alternatively, is it possibe to adjust the gas boiler to just heat water without having to turn off all the rads. I've tried lowering the thermostats in the hall and landing only to discover that these are broken and have since been overridden at the box in the hotpress. Does turning the boiler down to minimum work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yes, you can pick up an immersion timer in any hardware store.
    You have to manually change over the sink/bath function though.

There is usually an electric valve on the piping to the rads which will isolate them as required. Depending on your requirement, this could be set on a timer, or integrated into a control unit.
    The valve is usually a box approx 3" x 3" x 3" near to the boiler. If you aren't able to locate a valve, best get one fitted!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 KILRB

Great, thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

KILRB wrote:
    Hi there,

Alternatively, is it possibe to adjust the gas boiler to just heat water without having to turn off all the rads. I've tried lowering the thermostats in the hall and landing only to discover that these are broken and have since been overridden at the box in the hotpress. Does turning the boiler down to minimum work?

It depends on how you're heating was plumbed in. If there's a separate pipe feeding the coil in the hot water tank then it should be possible. I.E. If the hot water pipe branches into two pipes near the boiler

Look for a valve near the boiler to turn off the central heating circuit and leave on the water circuit

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Reyman wrote:
    It depends on how you're heating was plumbed in. If there's a separate pipe feeding the coil in the hot water tank then it should be possible. I.E. If the hot water pipe branches into two pipes near the boiler

Look for a valve near the boiler to turn off the central heating circuit and leave on the water circuit

Or you should find something looking like this
    V4073.jpg
    though it might be like mine and not working.
    Its supposed to work fron either a timer or a room thermostat.
    It turns off the water to the rads but you can still have the cylinder being heated.

I didnt bother replacing mine, just fitteed thermostatic radiator valves instead, does the same thing on a more granular level.

Advertisement