Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

system temps

Options
  • 23-04-2007 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

hey all,

just finished a build over the weekend and i'm concerned the cpu temp is too high given the fact i'm water cooling it. I haven't installed visat on it yet but i'm getting cpu temps of 33 degrees from the bios. My rig is as follows

6600 intel core 2 duo
    8800gts
    2 gig of ram
    asus p5b deluxe
    WD raptor

My water cooling rig is a high flow(1/2 tubing) and goes reservoir to pump to CPU(danger den TDX) to single 120 rad to 8800gts(EK Waterblock) to dual 120 rad and back to the res. I thought i should be getting lower temps and i reapplied the tim and no difference only a few degrees.
    Is the temp reading wrong or is that a good temp?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Why are you emasuring in the bios, it will almost certainly be wrong. Use something like speedfan.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

the only reason i measured in the bios was because i haven't installed the operating system, it was just that the temp started off at 72 then i reapplied the tim and then it dropped to 51 and after another reapply it went to 33 i just thought it was wrong from my first inspection and i'm gathering from that response i'm guessing that the board doesn't give an accurate reading?
    my last board was really accurate thats why i questioned it

install your os, then use speedfan to monitor them.

downloaded speedfan and the cpu temp is at 37degrees is this too high given the system setup

If that 37c is at load then it is fine. If that is at idle, and you are not overclocked. You have a big problem.

Also have you tried to change the loop around, and go to the double rad first.

Also try monitoring the cpu temps without the 8800 in the loop too. As they do pump out some serious heat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Anti wrote:
    install your os, then use speedfan to monitor them.

The software just queries the same hardware as the BIOS surely? I get exactly the same readings from bios and software.

OP: What is your load temperature? (this is more important than idle)

I always find the bios wrong, as its diode and not incore sometimes. I just dont trust it i suppose.

i'll check the load temp when i get back home, would it not be the thermal paste that could be affecting the temperature cause i don't think the loop needs to be modified. I'm using artic silver and i read that its the hardest to clean off the cpu so it might be affecting the temperature. What temperature should i be aiming for (idle)?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Core Temp gets the temperature from some yoke on the core die (allegedly), so should give a more accurate reading than anything else.

IMO I wouldn't trust SpeedFan much more than the BIOS temps. On my current system (MSI 975X Platinum, C2D E6300) SpeedFan gives totally spaz temps for the CPU - it's saying -128 degrees now! :D The other temp's it's getting are more believable though. And in my experience It's generally useless at getting temps from OEM motherboards (HP, Dell, etc.).

For comparison, I'm using the OEM heatsink/fan on my E6300 and I'm getting 51/52 degrees pretty constantly. However I'm using Folding@Home, so one core is on 100% pretty much all the time. I'm getting 39 degrees for the "system" temp. according to SpeedFan. These are both noticeably higher than in the winter (only got the PC in October).

thanks much appreciated, i think its down to the thermal paste to be honest, i think i went abit over board but its running at around 39 at full load but i still think it should be lower, i'm building another rig soon and i'll give the processor a good clean and reapply and see if the temp lowers:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

Khannie wrote:
    The software just queries the same hardware as the BIOS surely? I get exactly the same readings from bios and software.

I've always assumed that...until my new MB BIOS reports my CPU temp as 6c and Speedfan/Coretemp both say 27c...and its not that cold in here!

BTW...Speedfan has a handy feature that lets you download config files from other users so the temps and fan speeds are labelled and tested.

Advertisement