Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going through customs with 2 US laptops

Options
  • 23-04-2007 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭

Odd I know.

I've been living in America for 9 months, and have acquired 2 laptops here. I am trying to sell one of them before I leave so I'll only be bringing one back, but there is the possibility I won't be able to offload it and so will have 2 in my hand luggage when I hop off in Dublin.

I have no idea about import duty anyway as regards buying something electronic when you were living overseas instead of just going overseas on purpose to buy something, but am I going to get caught for it - and twice?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Can you ship one home as a 'gift'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

lol it wouldn't be my first choice! I don't know if they allow gifts that expensive to come through duty free, even if it is a gift?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I'd bring the two in your hand luggage. It's highly unlikely you'll be stopped, and because the machines are yours and well used, you can get away with it. Just claim one is personal and the other is work related.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I wouldn't worry too much about customs in Dublin airport, I've never seen any of them take any interest in stopping anyone. In February I came back with a suitcase and holdall full of new clothes and a backpack with brand new laptop inside. No bother walking right through customs. There was a guy just sitting there with his arms folded and he wasn't pulling anyone.

As Paulw says, they're both yours and well used so should be no problem even if you are stopped.

Advertisement