Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8800 320MB vs 8800 640MB

Options
  • 23-04-2007 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

Hey all I am looking to finally build myself a new PC and have hit a dilemma - I was considering the 8800GTS 320MB graphics card but after speccing out my whole PC it comes in a bit under budget so i am now considering upping the card to the 8800GTS 640MB

Am i being a dumbass with more money than brains, or would the higher spec card be worth the investment? I would be looking to play Oblivion and the likes by ramping the settings up to 11 ...

any thoughts would be appreciated, I have scouted around past threads and theres nothing bad said about the 320MB card but while my hand is in it I'd like to future-proof my build as much as possible for now and enjoy the max graphics games have to offer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The 320MB version suffers at high resolutions when you crank up the details and IQ like AA so if your planning on playing at high resolution 16xx or greater get the 640MB version.

If the build is going to run into mid May & you wish to maximise savings ATI's new generation is launching in mid may & they are rumoured to be priced cheaper than NVIDIA's but performance is equal so you might be able to get a 2900XL or whatever it will be called with 512MB RAM for the same price as 8800GTS 320MB that still a few 'ifs' though.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Puteq

hmm OK thanks for your info and advice. Dont think i'd be running resolutions that high really so maybe i should save my money for now and be prepared to upgrade in a few years.

I might wait for the ATI's, but this build has been a long time coming so I might just run with the technology thats available right now

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

If you are hovering around the 1280x1024 resolution then a 8800GTS 320MB is more than sufficient and an X2900XL will more than likely be no faster at that resolution either.

Advertisement