Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Daniel Agger . . . .

• 23-04-2007 4:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭

First ever post in the soccer forum so be gentle with me!

wanted to post about this since the nominations for PFA young player of the year, i was absolutely in shock that he didn't feature . . . he has stepped in and is now first choice centre half with Carragher with remarkable ease and been more than solid pretty much always, including scoring a few goals.

For him to not be nominated, IMO, belittles the whole awards, especially when people like Lennon and Richards (both English shockingly enough!) are nominated. Lennon had a few good games (mainly the Chelsea game) but has also been quite literally invisible most of the time in an underperforming Spurs side - and as for Richards, has he not missed a fair few games?! And even if he'd have played every game surely Agger, a vital member of probably the best defense in England deserves the nod before him!?!?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

While I may agree, at least in part, he is 23 this year so not really a young player.

I think C.Ronaldo was just still 21 when the votes were done, thats pushing it imo.

i do believe he'll develop into a fantastic footballing defender, and seesm well suited to the premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

So is Agger 22 now? (actually thought he was 21, apologies)

If Agger is 22 now and Ronaldo is 22 now, surely they are as eligable as eachother. I would tend to agree with ya that nowadays that's not really a "young" player, but surely, if rightly or wrongly in your opinion, Agger was eligable to be nominated for that award - he should have been.

Thats all i wanted to get off my chest :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

he has played 22 games IIRC

not enough in my opinion to be considered, they need to be playing each game, at the start of the year he wasnt

good player though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

event wrote:
    he has played 22 games IIRC

not enough in my opinion to be considered, they need to be playing each game, at the start of the year he wasnt

good player though

Evra, Neville and Vidic have played 20, 24 and 24 games respectivly yet they got in the team of the year. Just making a point, we dont need to turn it into a carbon copy of the other thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Agger missed (injured?) those bad away defeats to Bolton, ManU and Everton early on in the season. A very big miss :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Stekelly wrote:
    While I may agree, at least in part, he is 23 this year so not really a young player.
    But Kevin Doyle was amongst the nominations as well. Actually, what is the cut-off age?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Stekelly wrote:
    Evra, Neville and Vidic have played 20, 24 and 24 games respectivly yet they got in the team of the year. Just making a point, we dont need to turn it into a carbon copy of the other thread.

i pay no heed to them though

christ, they left out essien and put in gerrard

but IMO, i dont think he should have been nominated

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,338 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

But Kevin Doyle was amongst the nominations as well. Actually, what is the cut-off age?

Under 23

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hi millersangel

I should have nominated you but I never read the "Pleading to let me in to Soccer" board! :D

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Richard Dunne deserved a place. He's having a fantastic season.

Joey Barton:
    "He's our club captain, he leads by example and you can't ask for any more. When it gets tough, you know he's going to be there standing strong, that lifts you and you think that if he's like that you follow the example he sets. You know if a shot's coming in he'll get his head in the way.

For me, Richard Dunne is the most underrated player in the Premiership. I'd put him up there with John Terry, Rio Ferdinand, I can't speak any higher of him because he's been awesome.

He deserves to play at the highest level, he's been brilliant for Ireland as well. He's a shining beacon and we can't ask for more from a club captain."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

yea, i agree that Gerrard shouldn't be in there - would have had Essien, Fabregas, and maybe even Lampard ahead of him this year as he has been average (by his own very high standards:) )

Glad to finally be able to post Mike, especially before tomorrows game! a good place to vent some of my nerves me thinks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

i agree that he was unlucky to miss out, but afaik the nomonations are made in early december, and agger has really fully came into his own since christmas, whereas richards etc were flavour of the month back then.
    hope he builds on his promising start next season and he will be in team of the year!!

Advertisement