Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skangers and sitting so low in the seat??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

i drive sitting low and far back, only because im tall though..

and ive recently started wearing a baseball cap when im driving...

this doesnt make me a ''skanger''..... so dont sterotype

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

Seinas wrote:

have you had inclinations of playing bad music really loud, and fitting an empty bean can instead of a normal exhaust? the road to skangerdom is a slippery one :p

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Seinas wrote:

Why do you need to wear a baseball cap in particualer when driving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Keep the rain off his hair (tall head poking out of the sun roof!)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Stekelly wrote:
    I see a fair few people driving around in the middle of the car. ie leaned right over so that their heads are more or less in line with the rear view mirror. Whats that all about?
    That was all the rage 20 or 30 years ago when most cars were 4 speed and it was considered 'cool' to drive leaning towards the centre with left hand slapped over the gearstick and the right one on the top of the steering wheel.
    Calibos wrote:
    If I was a Guard I would stop every single one of these morons
    I don't think it's actually illegal to sit low!
    Fey! wrote:
    Maybe they're pretending that they're driving a McLaren F1!!!
    Or the Massey! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

But if you are so low that you are not in full control of the vehicle....

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

mike65 wrote:
    But if you are so low that you are not in full control of the vehicle....

Mike.
    Debateable Mike. Some very small drivers, particularly females appear to barely see over the wheel,

When I was a child, a neighbour who was about 6'8" in height, had a Mark I Cortina and always appeared to be in pain looking out, slightly sideways, from under the roof. was he in full control of the car? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

smashey wrote:
    Don't forget they also have one hand on the steering wheel while the other hand is holding a mobile phone so that others can see it.

Actually, on the subject of skangers and their phones (and off topic, I'll admit), I notice more and more of them holding their phones in front of their mouths like walkie talkies, rather than to the side of their face. What's up with that? Is it only having the mental capacity to use one organ at a time, or are they afraid the phone might fry what little grey matter there is if they hold it too close?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

milltown wrote:
    Actually, on the subject of skangers and their phones (and off topic, I'll admit), I notice more and more of them holding their phones in front of their mouths like walkie talkies, rather than to the side of their face. What's up with that? Is it only having the mental capacity to use one organ at a time, or are they afraid the phone might fry what little grey matter there is if they hold it too close?
    They're probably using the speakerphone function on their phone.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

milltown wrote:

T'is probably on loud-speaker, maybe they think this is permitted since the ban on phones while driving - it's not

Edit/ damn you fletch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,759 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

milltown wrote:
    as others have said, they are prob using the speaker on the phone.

I think the reason for this could be down to TV though. Whenever you see someone on a reality tv show on the phone, they talk into the phone in this way, so that the people recording can hear what is being said on the phone. I think some people just think it looks cool and have copied it from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

Tauren wrote:
    as others have said, they are prob using the speaker on the phone.

I think the reason for this could be down to TV though. Whenever you see someone on a reality tv show on the phone, they talk into the phone in this way, so that the people recording can hear what is being said on the phone. I think some people just think it looks cool and have copied it from that.

dont they have that 'push to talk' facility in america though? in which the phones actually do act like walkie talkies?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,759 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Wossack wrote:
    dont they have that 'push to talk' facility in america though? in which the phones actually do act like walkie talkies?
    yeah - but i'd still put it up to my ear!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

After my 1st track day, I found that I had to lower the seat to get the helmet on and to avoid hitting my helmet off the roof. Then sitting low felt nicer! I still have good visability though and I do sit close to the steering wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

There are cruises held at night in city centres and these cause traffic queues for other drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

G Luxel wrote:
    There are cruises held at night in city centres and these cause traffic queues for other drivers.
    Could you give an example? Cruises are rarely held in the center of a city, its probably just a few young fellas meeting up for a chat. No big deal.

Wossack wrote:
    have you had inclinations of playing bad music really loud, and fitting an empty bean can instead of a normal exhaust? the road to skangerdom is a slippery one :p

no... i drive a new jeep, why would i want a modified exhaust?? and playing bad music really loud?? im not the kind that would want to disturb others..
    Stekelly wrote:
    Why do you need to wear a baseball cap in particualer when driving?

i dont want most people to know its me driving, in the past 2 months ive been attacked 4 times... mostly by travellers. and its all happend at night, so the baseball cap helps.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Why are people attacking you?

you dont think i ask myself the same question??

jealousy i suppose, i cant think of any other reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Maybe it's Greenpeace, he does drive a planet killer after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

god you guys are so serious
    Andrewf20 wrote:
    After my 1st track day, I found that I had to lower the seat to get the helmet on and to avoid hitting my helmet off the roof. Then sitting low felt nicer! I still have good visability though and I do sit close to the steering wheel.

sitting low feels realy nice, just because you are low does not mean your sight is restricted, you can have a happy setup thats not too low. the car i drive (EG Civic) allready has a low stance and i find this one of the most comfortable involving drives of any car i have driven.

-->G Luxel<--
    there are rarely(if ever for that matter) cruises in the city center, it just doesnt make sense! i pissed off with the attitudes of people seeing modified cars on the street and thinking they must be up to trouble. ill give it their are bad apples, there are in every walk of life.

Real enthusiast`s eat drink and sleep their cars, you will find most of us dont drink,smoke and would hold a second job just to pay for our pashion and most of us "boy racers" are very carefull on the roads for gods sakes we have to be!!to pay for our insurance and look after our cars. ive had more hastle this month by older drivers in high end luxury cars (trying not to generalise) than i have this year with "boy racers"

god im ranting now
    BRB

projectgtr wrote:
    god you guys are so serious

sitting low feels realy nice, just because you are low does not mean your sight is restricted, you can have a happy setup thats not too low. the car i drive (EG Civic) allready has a low stance and i find this one of the most comfortable involving drives of any car i have driven.

-->G Luxel<--
    there are rarely(if ever for that matter) cruises in the city center, it just doesnt make sense! i pissed off with the attitudes of people seeing modified cars on the street and thinking they must be up to trouble. ill give it their are bad apples, there are in every walk of life.

Real enthusiast`s eat drink and sleep their cars, you will find most of us dont drink,smoke and would hold a second job just to pay for our pashion and most of us "boy racers" are very carefull on the roads for gods sakes we have to be!!to pay for our insurance and look after our cars. ive had more hastle this month by older drivers in high end luxury cars (trying not to generalise) than i have this year with "boy racers"

god im ranting now
    BRB

Well said dude. I'm in the same boat, drive a modified car, nothing tacky just well thought out mods that make me enjoy owning the car. I worked hard for it and enjoy modifying my car as I can see the result of my labor. Most people are ok TBH, a lot of young people give me complements on the car but some older people give me dirty looks and probably judge me as a scanger. Let them be, they are stuck in motoring mediocrity in their standard fiestas or corollas!:)

Anyone I know or associate with that modifies their car soes so as a hobby and does not act like your stereotypical skanger with no regard for other road users. They work hard for their hobby so why should they be judged? I'mnot standing up for the muppets out there but I would like to think from my own experiences they are in the minority and would be muppets no matter what car they drive, modified or standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

The problem is these clowns dont actually know they are skangers hence this to them is normal behaviour and *cool*.

Perhaps insurance companies should ask what angle you drive your seat at and if its anything less than vertical you get get stung for an extra €1000 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Stekelly wrote:
    I see a fair few people driving around in the middle of the car. ie leaned right over so that their heads are more or less in line with the rear view mirror. Whats that all about?

Its known as the Gangsta Lean
    So that your less of a target to being shot up.
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gangsta+lean&page=2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

I saw a black guy in Philadelphia before who had seat reclined so far back he had his arm out the back window - had to laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

I always thought they were just of stunted growth from smoking johnny blues since they were twelve...

I'd imagine its some feat making yourself small inside a starlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Thanks for the back-up astraboy, i was expecting to come back to a flaming. i try not to let the atittudes of others get to me as i know what i am like on the roads, there is a time and a place for it and its called a track.

i think the current state of drivers on the roads is the fault of the government, there should be driving school as a compulsory part of transition year in secondary school and a re-sit of the exam for motorists who were "given" their licence.

again im rambling on so ill let you comment on the above
    im off to hit the M1 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

astraboy wrote:
    Could you give an example? Cruises are rarely held in the center of a city, its probably just a few young fellas meeting up for a chat. No big deal.
    ok, an example, well when i was leaving college every thursday night, I would drive through a city centre and see one on-coming modified car after another, literally bumper to bumper so I can assume that it is a city cruise, but it seems to be around 20 to 30 cars. I am finding myself stuck in a traffic jam at I0.30 pm which really shouldnt be there. No sign of municipal vehicles, parked buses or garda checkpoints causing this jam. Maybe it is 5 or 6 sets of traffic lights on one street.

Its just a few guys probably out for a spin, it might happen that they meet up in town or whatever and a few of them go for a drive, other modified cars might also be going around the same area so it might look suspicious but there is nothing sinister about it. I spotted this thing tnite in Cork, there was large amouts of modified cars around and a large traffic jam on patrick street but this was due to the badly timed lights more then anything.

Cruises are generally held away from the main centers of the cities. Cruises for most modifiers, myself included, are no longer part of the scene. They are now just centers for messers and plonkers in general to do donuts etc in an industrial estate. Most people now just like to park up somewhere and chat instead of messing and generally annoying people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

You sound like the rght kind of modifier - mature, sensible and genuinely into looking after your car. Unfortunately there are an awful lot of gobsh1tes giving your hobby a bad name, and that might well be what's shaping other people's attitudes to you.

@ Seinas: You obviously think they are targetting you because they recognise you. Are you famous / infamous / come from a wealthy family? Why travellers in particular?

Advertisement