Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skangers and sitting so low in the seat??

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

I think there are 2 types of Modded car heads. 1 is the proper Mod with a decent car and nice Mods. They see it as a hobby and are careful on the roads. Then there are the inbred Skangers. They have massive spoilers on a Micra, sit like a pratt in the car and play rediculous music way too loud with open windows just so people can hear them and drive like complete morons with no respect for themselves or anyone around them. Unfortunatly the Skanger has given the proper Mod a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

I blame BMX's myself and the "layback" style saddle...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

GB15 wrote:
    I saw a black guy in Philadelphia before who had seat reclined so far back he had his arm out the back window - had to laugh.

Lol when we traveled through the bronx on our tour bus we passed a black guy with his foot hanging out the front window, sock and all.
    astraboy wrote:
    Cruises are generally held away from the main centers of the cities. Cruises for most modifiers, myself included, are no longer part of the scene. They are now just centers for messers and plonkers in general to do donuts etc in an industrial estate. Most people now just like to park up somewhere and chat instead of messing and generally annoying people.

Agreed. You have a meet with your mates and some sound people then some gob****es see you as they pass by in a clapped out civic and think they'll show up by doing some handbrakers and the like. Next thing guards turn up and we all get done for it, you have to be vary careful about meets. In fact I would encourage that if you plan one you let the cops know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

layke wrote:

Agreed. You have a meet with your mates and some sound people then some gob****es see you as they pass by in a clapped out civic and think they'll show up by doing some handbrakers and the like. Next thing guards turn up and we all get done for it, you have to be vary careful about meets. In fact I would encourage that if you plan one you let the cops know.

The guys I know through the car scene are fairly mature as well, we organize the odd meet now and again and people showing up are told to park up and don't mess or leave. We also organize the odd mini road trip, the last one was from cork city to wesk cork along the coast road early on a sunday morning. A great drive, some nice cars and no messers!

@LFCFan I agree with what you said, I think you can tell the difference between either a genuine car lover or a skanger in about 10 seconds of looking at them or their car. Skanger-mobiles(generalizing here!) usually look like they crashed into the local car accessories shop and everything tacky stuck onto the car! Proper modifiers carry out thought out mods and you won't see them abuse their cars either as we work too hard for them!

Sorry for OT back onto the skangers! Baseball caps at 90 degrees of an angle is one trait. Its for downforce ladddddddddd!:D :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Sizzler wrote:
    Perhaps insurance companies should ask what angle you drive your seat at and if its anything less than vertical you get get stung for an extra €1000 ;)

Or maybe what angle your baseball cap is at ?!! :D

I had a bit of a rant about 'boy racers' in after hours during the week, but it's nice to hear from the couple of posters here involved in modified cars. It's just a pity about the amount of gob**ites who are prepared to spend the same money as you on their car and drive around like a lunatic and in turn give you and your obviously responsible car enthusiast mates a bad name.

Can I ask if there is some of you lads meeting somewhere or out for a drive and you come accross a muppet in a 3 door corsa acting the idiot... Do you frown on them? and give them a hard time?! May seem like a stupid question but just imagine it must be frustrating for you to have those muppets adding to the stereotypical view of modified cars ...

• Advertisement

Well I drive a 3 door astra so I can't judge anyone in a corsa!:D The group I hang around with I have know for years but new people come to the meets the whole time. Some people may show up in a ****box as they are saving for something better, but generally people would be judged on their attitude more then anything else. If someone comes along to a meet and acts jack the lad, hopping the car off the rev limiter or doing burnouts etc they will be told to leave. One meet that takes place on a regular basis near me has the permission of the garage owner. The organizers walk around in high vis jackets making sure no one is acting the clown, everyone has a good time and the garage owner makes a few euro from all the coffee being sold if its on a cold winters night. Win-win really!

If someone is a muppet they will remain one, either in a 95 fiesta or a 06 Subaru Impreza Sti. I think its an age thing too, as you get older the style of mods you would put on your car changes. For instance when I was younger I wanted cars with lairy kits etc, now I respect a car that is subtle and has some power under the bonnet.

The idea that people put me into a group, ie a boy racer, due to the car I drive can be annoying, but I explain to anyone I can what my attitude is and how I drive. I even had a guard tell me last week I was a car enthusiast when I was outside the station on other business. Boy racers exist and are a danger on the roads but at least some people can make the distinction between them and genuine enthusiasts.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

astraboy wrote:
    Well I drive a 3 door astra so I can't judge anyone in a corsa!:D The group I hang around with I have know for years but new people come to the meets the whole time. Some people may show up in a ****box as they are saving for something better, but generally people would be judged on their attitude more then anything else. If someone comes along to a meet and acts jack the lad, hopping the car off the rev limiter or doing burnouts etc they will be told to leave. One meet that takes place on a regular basis near me has the permission of the garage owner. The organizers walk around in high vis jackets making sure no one is acting the clown, everyone has a good time and the garage owner makes a few euro from all the coffee being sold if its on a cold winters night. Win-win really!

If someone is a muppet they will remain one, either in a 95 fiesta or a 06 Subaru Impreza Sti. I think its an age thing too, as you get older the style of mods you would put on your car changes. For instance when I was younger I wanted cars with lairy kits etc, now I respect a car that is subtle and has some power under the bonnet.

The idea that people put me into a group, ie a boy racer, due to the car I drive can be annoying, but I explain to anyone I can what my attitude is and how I drive. I even had a guard tell me last week I was a car enthusiast when I was outside the station on other business. Boy racers exist and are a danger on the roads but at least some people can make the distinction between them and genuine enthusiasts.:)

Agreed. enthusiasts like the previous poster are not always (but sometimes!) boy racers. Many enthusiasts don't stick stupid wheels and loud exhausts on, and I respect them for it. If you drive a more subtle car with poke under the bonnet, you got my respect!
    :cool:

Well to be honest I have 17inch alloys and a bodykitted 1.4L astra:p :o . Its not tacky or anything though. I'm being sensiable at the moment building up a no-claims until I finish college then I'm going to be moving to something larger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

astraboy wrote:
    Well I drive a 3 door astra so I can't judge anyone in a corsa!:D

Oops :)

Thanks for replying ... it's easy to tell that you're genuine cos you're not going on the defensive!
    astraboy wrote:
    would be judged on their attitude more then anything else

I do have a real dislike for muppets driving modified cars like idiots , but what you say is very true. I've 100% respect for enthusiasts like yourself who have a good attitude.

Best of luck with the savings !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Why don't you guys post some photos of you MODS...

After a hard days work, I need a good laugh ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

spoiler.jpeg

:p

LOL although a bit exaggerated I've some skanger come close to that ;)

Heres a quick pic of my machine. It was taken fresh after it had some bodywork done and I did'nt have the number plate back up yet.

astraboy wrote:
    Heres a quick pic of my machine. It was taken fresh after it had some bodywork done and I did'nt have the number plate back up yet.
    Are you pulling a caravan? ;)

Advertisement