Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indian Spices

Options
  • 23-04-2007 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

Anyone know of somewhere to pick up ingredients/spices for indian cooking in cork. Have been to the english market but they only have bits and pieces of what I need.

Nothing worse than almost having all the ingredients - you wonder would it have tasted different if you had all of em

My cookbook seems to have things they have never heard of:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Try the health shop upstairs in the Paul Street Centre, I spotted some unusual spices in the rear left of the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The Quay Co-op isn't too bad, but my usual stop was Mr. Bells in the English Market. Go to the one closest to the Grand Parade entrance. If you don't see the spices out on display, ask the blonde lady who usually works there. She'll tell you if she has them or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

theres also a guy sells various indian spices in the mahon point farmers market on thursday between 10 and 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

Only 1 place left in the market now. Been there and got whatever I could but still short a good few bits and pieces. Will give the other 2 suggestions a go.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Given that spices last a long while, you could do worse than make an annual trip to Dublin (I'm sure you have other reasons to go anyway) and load up from the Asia Market in Drury St (parallel to Grafton St.) You can buy big bags of things like cumin seeds and coriander seeds and grind them up when you need them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

there is a place that sell bulk asian foodstuffs to the public from his store up in Eagle Valley (across from Soundstore), might be worth giving him a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

So what are you "missing" ??? So we can either say "nope don't know where you're gonna get that" or "go to..................."??

I hate when I want to make a nice curry and then go to the local S'market and no fresh coriander. Or Okra - I love Okra and it's almost impossible to get here unless it's canned from Mr. Bells and that just isn't the same as fresh Okra.

What about that Asian store along Patrick's Quay, (is it still there???).

Happy Cooking!!! J

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭rebs23

Theres an Asian food shop at the top of Shandon St. on the right as you go up. It sells spices. Haven't been in there just passed by so no idea what its like.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

There's a subcontinental grocer's on North Main St, near Leader's. It's probably better than Mr. Bell's for Indian stuff.

And another place, there's a shop that sells to the trade off Barrack street. Go down the little laneway next to Nancy Spain's pub and turn left. Mostly Chinese food though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

is ther not a place down on north main st like past where the bodega was called the indian elephant or something like that mayb im wrong think it sells spices.been awhile since iv been down there so correct me if im wrong

• Advertisement

Think you might be thinking of somewhere else, chuci. There was a place that used to sell incense, yoga books and stuff like that a couple of doors down from the Bodega on the Coal Quay, is that what you had in mind? I'm not sure if it's still going.
    The place I'm thinking of is on North Main St, the street behind the Bodega. It's more like a grocer's, it sells canned goods, fresh fruit and veg, spices, rice and I think it has a halal meat counter too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

There is also a spice shop about half way up Shandon Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

Does anyone know where to find good Tikka Sauce? The kind they use in O'Briens I can't find it anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

Have tried north main st place.

Might give one of the online places a go. Mostly UK sites and the prices are a bit steep but they seem to have everything.

What ingredients are you looking for, gramlab?

Most of the shops in Cork probably buy from the same wholesalers so if you've tried a few places without success you probably won't find what you need anywhere.

Having said that, as a last resort you could try Superfruit in the Douglas Shopping Centre or even the Douglas Tesco. Douglas seems to be home to Cork's Asian community (all 12 of them...).

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭rebs23

gramlab wrote:
    Have tried north main st place.

Might give one of the online places a go. Mostly UK sites and the prices are a bit steep but they seem to have everything.

Passed the one on Shandon St again recently and they advertise they sell indian spices.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

That halal supermarket on North Main Street has a good selection. Black cardamom, cinnamon sticks, the works.

Think you might be thinking of somewhere else, chuci. There was a place that used to sell incense, yoga books and stuff like that a couple of doors down from the Bodega on the Coal Quay, is that what you had in mind? I'm not sure if it's still going.
    The place I'm thinking of is on North Main St, the street behind the Bodega. It's more like a grocer's, it sells canned goods, fresh fruit and veg, spices, rice and I think it has a halal meat counter too.

ya thats the place im thinking about maybe it was a dream i had that they sold spices.iv never spotted that place your on a bout must look into it further

past an ethnic food shop on douglas st yesterday its across the road from loafers it advertised in the window that they sold spices anyway.just said id mention it

Advertisement