Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quake Wars

Options
  • 23-04-2007 4:47pm
    Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭

There's a preview over at Eurogamer. Looks like this could be the mp shooter I've been waiting for
    We spent all day playing this game and can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that it's great, and it's finished, and all they're doing now is spit-polishing. If you still haven't settled on any games to be excited about this summer then you should know this is a very safe bet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Yeah I have been counting the days :) bye bye BF2

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It really was a glowing preview from Eurogamer. Can't wait for this now. Will give it a few goes online but the fact that they say that it works 3v3 means it will be perfect for lans which is what I'm more interested in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

What's the minimum spec to play this half-decently?

My present rig (6600GT, 1 GB RAM, AMD 64 3000+) can manage BF2142 and BF2 fairly well, so fingers crossed....

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Retr0gamer wrote:
    It really was a glowing preview from Eurogamer. Can't wait for this now. Will give it a few goes online but the fact that they say that it works 3v3 means it will be perfect for lans which is what I'm more interested in.

They normally tend to give guarded opinions in their previews. Even for games that turned out to be great. This was unequivocal.

Re. specs - from what I've read, the specs aren't as heavy as some recent games & its quite scaleable. If you can run Doom 3 you're ok. Apparently it will run faster than Quake4. So good news all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I fear it's going to be another BF2 clone, and will be devoid of the classic gameplay elements that makes Woflenstein: Enemy territory so damn good. I hope I'm wrong, though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

I can't wait for this to come out! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AmapU4oBuA

Excellent preview/interview

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

Im placing a lot of faith on this game being the be all and end all of online gaming quite soon - I will prob ditch 2142 exclusively for this game -and take most of my clan with me :D i will be setting up an .:iE/ server located in Ireland provided the game requires no ranked/licensing bull**** quite soon after launch

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I'm relying on Splash Damage to do what they did with ET. i.e. the best team orientated online shooter. From watching gameplay videos it looks like alot of the best ideas from ET are being carried over.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Was talking to someone involved in early beta testing the net code for the developer and he was telling me that the on foot stuff is loads of fun while the vehicle stuff was pretty meh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

I fear it's going to be another BF2 clone, and will be devoid of the classic gameplay elements that makes Woflenstein: Enemy territory so damn good. I hope I'm wrong, though!

If you've read anything about QW, youd know its basically going to piss all over BF2. Which isnt difficult to do, really. Im going to go out on a limb here and say that aside from being my most anticipated shooter ever, QW will blow pretty much every online fps out of the water. Probably. :D

0ubliette wrote:
    If you've read anything about QW, youd know its basically going to piss all over BF2. Which isnt difficult to do, really. Im going to go out on a limb here and say that aside from being my most anticipated shooter ever, QW will blow pretty much every online fps out of the water. Probably. :D

Indeed I have read a number of articles regarding the game. However, reading someone else's words (on a game not released) is completely different from playing the game oneself. Only time will tell, I guess.

I am slightly concerned by the 24 player limit - their reasoning seemed like a bit of a cop-out to me. One of the many things I love about ET is the ability to join a 64 player server and enjoy the chaos of having so many people running around blasting away.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I have to say, I'm pretty convinced by the developer's reasons. In BF, I always preferred the servers with less players tbh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I'm absolutely convinced that 24 players is the way to go. I have never enjoyed a game of ET with large numbers. It's just pure chaos and alot of the team aspects get lost. I hate the way alot of mods for ET are geared towards highlighting the best fraggers etc., who is on a spree and so on. Moving a team based game more towards DM than it should and with large numbers this gets more pronounced.

But why not have the option to have up to 64 player servers? This way you cater for all preferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

But why not have the option to have up to 64 player servers? This way you cater for all preferences.
    I imagine playing 32v32 on such a focused front line would be quite a load on the server and your machine. Also I totally agree with Paul Wedgewood on his reasons. Large player maps are never enjoyable, for me anyway, espically in BF2 where there isn't really an increase in action since the size of the map is just increased. You usually end up treking from one flag to another in search of the action, plus the servers are usually laggy as hell anyway. Another reason might be that 32v32 might be slightly imbalanced in some maps based on the objectives a team has to achieve. And as they said they built the game with gamers in mind, but mostly clans so all the maps are designed around this 24 specification.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

They normally tend to give guarded opinions in their previews. Even for games that turned out to be great. This was unequivocal.

I dunno, they seem to hype up British-developed games a lot, Battle Engine Aquilla being another example that springs to mind. Still, the jury's out until the game's released, I guess!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I dunno, they seem to hype up British-developed games a lot, Battle Engine Aquilla being another example that springs to mind. Still, the jury's out until the game's released, I guess!

Bought that on the strength of their review and thought it pure tripe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

What's good about Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory is that it focusses all the players on one objective.

With BF2 on a public server everybody is running off like headless chickens to capture any flag that happens to take their fancy. So you've got all these crappy little battles spread out all over the place.

Quake Wars: Enemy Territory and by the looks of it Frontlines: Fuel of War (from the makers of the BF1942 Desert Combat mod) is that you can have large maps, but everybody is focussed in on one objective. And once you've got that objective it can't be recaptured. There's no back and forth. One team is on offence, other team on defence.

That's the kind of thing BF has always been lacking. I'd say they'll go for something along those lines after these two games come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

With BF2 on a public server everybody is running off like headless chickens to capture any flag that happens to take their fancy. So you've got all these crappy little battles spread out all over the place.

The proof of the above statement is in the popularity of wake through all the Battlefield games. The map unlike most other battlefield maps forces a sort of frontline by its level design hence its always been one of the more enjoyable ones, clearly proven by its reincarnation in vietnam and bf2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

musician wrote:
    I'm absolutely convinced that 24 players is the way to go. I have never enjoyed a game of ET with large numbers. It's just pure chaos and alot of the team aspects get lost. I hate the way alot of mods for ET are geared towards highlighting the best fraggers etc., who is on a spree and so on. Moving a team based game more towards DM than it should and with large numbers this gets more pronounced.
    Well the limit to me, reeks of a pr damage control, just like the doom3 multi was limited and now qw is too. Hopefully this will ween me off bf2, still enjoying it tho, 18 months on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

What's good about Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory is that it focusses all the players on one objective.

Quake Wars: Enemy Territory and by the looks of it Frontlines: Fuel of War (from the makers of the BF1942 Desert Combat mod) is that you can have large maps, but everybody is focussed in on one objective. And once you've got that objective it can't be recaptured. There's no back and forth. One team is on offence, other team on defence.

That's the kind of thing BF has always been lacking. I'd say they'll go for something along those lines after these two games come out.

I reckon so too, since dice were swallowed by EA they havent had an one single original thought. Come on..2142?? "Lets make BF...but in the FUTURE! with LAZORS! pew pew! pow pow!"
    They'll plagiarise QW to death for BF3, mark my words.
    And yeah ia gree with the player limit, if you ever played ET on a 64 man server its just pure chaos, 24 would be perfectly adequate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

I also feel that this game will be massive. However someone mentioned their about ranked servers. Yes there will be as such a licensed server supplier system of some sort or other. Anyone can host and run an ETQW server, but you will have to sign up with a partner Hosting company to run a ranked one. Wether or not the Hosting company charge is down to them, this was mentioned by Wedgewood.

Clan play is intended to be 5 v 5 or 6 v 6. From what I've been told by those playing the game, the vehicles don't play a big part in the game play at all. Also been told that the game play is frantic and very fast.

System specs are still up in the air, however I feel that if you can run BF2/2142 with decent gfx then you should be ok with ETQW, but then who knows.

Its the small touches that draw me to this game. The fact that the Dev's have thought of clans when making the game, the in built server control tools, the ability to include or exclude any vehicle out of the box, great for those tweaking servers to try and improve or change game play.

TiG will run 1 if not 2 ETQW servers on release. One may well be passworded to allow the clan to get to grips with the game, but one will deffo be open for play. Also if you are interested in joining a clan to play ETQW, either competitively or just for fun then look us up.

This should also be released prior to Midlans in July, so thats all the lan games sorted for it

I don't think anyone needs to worry about the number of players allowed. I mean, look at all the online shooters that have come before it from Quake to CS etc.

QW will obviously be tailored to suit the numbers of player allowable. Its not like you will have large 64 player maps like in BF, but with only a handful of players per side.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

GAME have this down for a 24th May release .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

jonski wrote:
    GAME have this down for a 24th May release .

Look again Jonski http://www.game.co.uk/ViewProduct.aspx?cat=11142&mid=326432&cm_sp=etquakewars-_-packshot-_-standardpc

it used to be down as the 24th but alas not any more :(

Advertisement