Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Promotions' Thread ***Info & Results***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Irish Stunner

leggo wrote: »
    As someone who's done a lot of promotion in my time...if I was looking to invest money in ANYTHING at the moment, local pro-wrestling would be bottom of the list. So my hat's off to anyone, from Gerry to Simon, who's still going. They're proving that they are now doing it out of passion for the business...because it's definitely not for the money!

quote]

I think Ger could be doing it more for revenge and out of anger more than anything else which can also be a recipe for disaster.

Oh and Dean one more question they say on this board that Northside talent only work for Northside if this is the case why was one off its wrestlers working ring crew on the cavan show is it cause they are working for I.P now??? Ger maybe you can help me out here too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I agree with most of what you say but I still think that a small tightly run promotion that showcases all the Irish talent can be successful. It doesn't take a large injection of cash to make a wrestling show into a real nights entertainment. I have discussed this before on this forum many times. The country is crying out for a proper wrestling booking office to be established in an open and honest environment that uses talent from all promotions and through the use of lighting, smoke machines , proper sound systems and decent venues the Irish talent have bucket loads to offer wrestling fans. The shows have to be regular and developed with creative thinking and story lines that fans can follow. But as you know all of this requires a lot of effort and dedication and a willingness from both Talent/promoter and fan base to commit to the cause. For example members on this forum were offered free entry to a wrestling show two weeks ago and how many showed up probably none enough said and that's not affected by the recession because it was free. A wrestling promotion is only as strong as its talent and its fan base and both have a shared responsibility in its success or failure

I get where you're coming from man, here's were that argument falls down though in my opinion:

The general public DON'T care about the survival of grassroots Irish pro-wrestling. If it all disappeared tomorrow...apart from the people involved, 9-10 people on boards and a few loyal regular punters (we're probably talking less than 20 here)...nobody would bat an eyelid.

Local Irish wrestling relies on getting middle-class families in the doors of local community centres and GAA clubs.

The average middle class family will have either experienced one of the bread-winners being laid off recently...will have had to take a pay-cut...or will be just watching what they spend in case the worst happens.

How creative a promoter is DOESN'T matter if there's nobody paying in the door.

An average night out for the family at a wrestling show, say one parent and three kids, costs about E60-70 when you factor in the kids buying merch etc.

People will NOT spend that on a bunch of guys they've never heard of. It doesn't matter how creative or dedicated the promoter is...people pinching their pennies will NOT spend that. End of story.

They'll gladly spend E200 once or twice a year on a WWE show (if they can afford it) because WWE is an international brand, a reputable one, with a wealth of established stars. So it's a worthwhile investment for the consumer. Same reason Slane today, Oxegen and Electric Picnic will all be packed out despite huge ticket prices in a recession.

But, aside from the odd few that currently make up the poor houses on the shows, the general public won't spend it.

That's the simple economics of it man.

You talk of smoke machines etc...that's wasted money dude. That's even more losses. If people WILL bother to pay for local wrestling...they won't expect or need this kinda stuff. So investing in it is suicidal for a promoter (unless he's going for big budget and has a rich financial backer behind him, ala AWR).

Storylines etc don't matter unless its on TV. Take it from someone who has booked and, early into his run, held the same view as you. At house shows...people just want to see some wrestling. Throw them a storyline with the hometown boy to attract them via the local papers, and run a promo setting up your main event, that's it.

Anything else is self-indulgent, fantasy booking nonsense on the promoter's part...and it's the reason you see so many mark promoters come along, blow a wad of cash and go out of business as quick as they got in.

Again, I don't mean to disrespect you as you clearly care, so fair play for that. But your argument only holds water with wishful-thinking Internet fans...not in the real world...and, as you alluded to, unfortunately Gerry (who's a great guy I only wish the best for) recently found out the hard way what good pandering to the net will get you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

unfortunately Gerry (who's a great guy I only wish the best for) recently found out the hard way what good pandering to the net will get you.

That's not strictly true either in my honest opinion. He found out the hard way by solely marketing through the internet. Not because of good pandering to the net.

There is a significant difference there.

Had there been more in the way of flyers sent out locally, as well as other ways and means to get the word out, it stood the chance of being more successful. To me, that was down to a combination of things.

1) Bad timing. - The date was announced a few weeks prior to the show, but the venue was later confirmed. That's a bad idea because...

2) later when all the guys on the other side of the city found out it was all the way out in Tallaght, some would have obviously felt it's too far to make it. Especially if there were other things that didn't take so long to attend. You can't really plan a date and then add a venue afterwards. Only place you might be able to get away with that is city centre.

Neither of those two have anything to do with pandering to internet fans.

3) As i mentioned earlier, lack of advertising outside of this forum. I could be wrong on this one, but other than this particular forum, i wouldn't have heard the show, period. I might be busy as hell at the minute, but i'm not a complete hermit, i do still go out, I saw nothing about this in either Santry, Coolock, Artane or the city centre. The internet can be used as a marketing tool, but it's no substitute for advertising. It never was, and it never will be. Which is why we've no problems listing upcoming shows here in the first place. :)

I'm not saying that advertising on the net is a bad idea.

Certainly, it can be GREAT if used correctly. Especially nowadays where pretty much everyone is online and many check sites like Facebook, Bebo etc on an almost daily basis.

Pandering to the typical Internet wrestling fan...however...is a bad idea that has failed time and time again. In Ireland. You can make whatever argument to counter that that you wish...it all SHOULD work on paper...but when it comes to prising bums from seats you really see what good the likes of this place is for a business. That's not meant in a bad or mean-spirited way, btw, it's just a fact.

If all of the regular posters here even showed up, for the free tickets they'd been promised, he probably would have got enough punters in to be able to put on an actual show. (Nobody take that personally) I mean, he probably had to pay for the venue anyway so it wouldn't have cost anything if he put on a show at a massive loss...the loss was there already. So the actual show would have just served as a morale boost after the fact.

That's not the only reason for the failing of the show...I'm sure there's a bunch of them, many we'll never even know about, but it's definitely a lesson learned for Gerry. I know, if I was him, I wouldn't be rushing to help out boardsies again with great deals anytime soon.

Pandering to the typical Internet wrestling fan...however...is a bad idea that has failed time and time again. In Ireland. You can make whatever argument to counter that that you wish...it all SHOULD work on paper...but when it comes to prising bums from seats you really see what good the likes of this place is for a business. That's not meant in a bad or mean-spirited way, btw, it's just a fact.

Nobody ever said that you should "pander" to them. However targeting one type of audience is a limited way of catering for any tpe of business. That's also a fact. As i'm sure you know when IWW lost a lot of it's core fanbase around 2007 when it was decided they weren't going to bother with them because they couldn't handle the criticism that the direction was taking.

Is Simon still in business?, yes.
    Could he have done a lot better if he had branched out and kept both his original fanbase while expanding for the family market. More than bloody likely. You don't need a business degree or a lot of experience to discover that, that's just common sense.
    If all of the regular posters here even showed up, for the free tickets they'd been promised, he probably would have got enough punters in to be able to put on an actual show. (Nobody take that personally) I mean, he probably had to pay for the venue anyway so it wouldn't have cost anything if he put on a show at a massive loss...the loss was there already. So the actual show would have just served as a morale boost after the fact.

Agreed there, I don't that show was going to be profitable, nor was it intended to be. It was put on to get the name out there and to be used as a launchpad for future shows. But the lack of planning ahead was that show's death knell.
    That's not the only reason for the failing of the show...I'm sure there's a bunch of them, many we'll never even know about, but it's definitely a lesson learned for Gerry. I know, if I was him, I wouldn't be rushing to help out boardsies again with great deals anytime soon.

And do you include yourself at that? Or are you just looking to rub it in with a grin on your face? Were you on that admission list too? And if you were, did you attend? And if not, why not?

Not trying to start anything here, i'm just wondering if you're just trying to be part of the solution after being a part of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭The Cannibal

Yes, the IP show was advertised on boards, but I wouldn't exactly call it pandering to the net fans other than the free ticket offer.

There was no website, no facebook, no myspace, no twitter, no youtube channel, no sustained effort on other forums other than boards. The only thing they had was a Bebo page that wasn't updated for weeks and didn't even list they had a show coming up. In fact, they pretty much AVOIDED the internet. Net communities need to be built.

IwW when it first started used to have a net community, but there was no effort made to keep them and they all went away one by one. A prospective promotion would need to build this up again over time and once they did, they'd have an easier time marketing shows. Dead websites that are updated once every 6 months aren't going to cut it. They need to be updated at LEAST weekly, and all supporting social networking sites. It should appear that something is always happening and worth checking out.

You can't say internet marketing doesn't work in Ireland because no one has ever really done it. They just dip their toe in it and yank it out when they think it's too cold, but you need to dive into that ****, swim around in it and get used to the temperature.

Internet in conjunction with proper street methods can be extremely effective.

"Anything else is self-indulgent, fantasy booking nonsense on the promoter's part...and it's the reason you see so many mark promoters come along, blow a wad of cash and go out of business as quick as they got in."

TOTALLY disagree with this. Storylines are fundamental if you ever want to expand past the small hall format without big backing. Everybody gets hung up on TV but it is not the be all and end all like it once was. A good product is a good product with or wihout TV, and it is up to the promoter to educate the fans as to just how good.

I am currently subscribed to TNA On Demand. WWE has their own WWE 24/7. Many TV stations have their own on demand service now too. Many TV things are now becoming stream focused. More and more CASUAL people are becoming internet friendly. It is fast becoming as common as TV. Even my comp fearing parents use it to get streams of their favourite shows now. It's all about education and the internet has evolved to the point where you can deliver an online show, have it look good and keep everyone up to date with what's going on in your promotion story wise. With a bit of advertisement and prominent placement, a net show could have hundreds of thousands of hits internationally.

Promotions have done major storylines without TV for DECADES. More complex stories than the hometown hero to. In fact, many depended on complex storylines to sell their show, they were just clever in how they got the feud information to their fans.

Without TV, you improvise. TNA couldn't get TV, they went to PPV. RoH had no TV, they went the DVD route. ECW in it's early days relied heavily on the net when it WAS a niche thing. Even smaller scale, like FWA in England years ago was able to keep you up to date with it's storylines cause Alex Shane was a smart promoter, if not fiscaly. People here even keep up to date on the latest Japanese rivalries even though they have no TV here and are thousands of miles away because the methods and infrastructure are there for them to do so and the reputation brings them in.

If there is interest in your product, and the proper infrastructure in place where they can get information about you in as many ways as they possibly can, then you can book anything on your shows and not have it be "fantasy booking" but intelligent booking. First you build the infrastructure, then you build your reputation, then everything else comes into place. Once you have a community around you, you're half way there.

TV does play a big part overall though, IWW was at it's strongest during the Whiplash era. Venue's got bigger (places like the SFX, The Forum, Waterford, Laughter Lounge were used whereas they were doing GAA clubs prior to it), Production and presentation got better, ring work got stronger, crowd attendences got bigger. Everybody won out as a result of it.

I'm not so sure 05-07 would have been as successful without it.

I don't deny that TV is a major help, I'm just saying that it isn't the be all and end all when it comes to promoting successfully with major storylines that are followable. TV would still be preferable because it is less work to get exposed, but for those willing to put the work in there are other avenues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Rawm2008

SEW Results

Cookstown Lesiure center

Attendance: a sell out crowd of 400+

Kings of the ring tournmanent:

JC williams (W) vs Silva Bullet (L)
    Frankie Fever (L) vs Duncan Disorderly (W)
    Bingo Balance (L) vs Bonesaw Mc graw (W)
    Joey Cabray (W) vs Sean South (L)

Jc Williams (W) vs Duncan Disorderly (L)
    Bone Saw Mcgraw (L) vs Joey Cabray (W)

Joey Cabray (W) vs JC williams (L)

Kings of the ring winner

Joey Cabray

• Advertisement

Just a couple of points cus it's late and I'm wrecked:

1) Nero, the net was NEVER IwW's core fanbase. Sorry to tell you that. Sure Simon did a few things that appealed towards that direction...the NWA/IwW feud being one such example...but the net fans never made it worth his while to bother continuing. You turn a profit by appealing to families, you go out of business by appealing to smart marks. Fact. Ireland isn't NEARLY big enough for an RoH-style promotion to do well.

2) Cannibal...I'm sorry, I wish things were different, but storylines do NOT matter that much off TV. They confuse people. I wished it were different when I started out booking...because I'm also a passionate writer and saw this as a big creative opportunity...but fans will not pay the money to follow storylines, and you can't over-complicate things on a show that panders to kids.

The reason they worked in the territory days was because they were running the same venues time and again. So the same people were showing up. It's a COMPLETELY different environment to Ireland today...where running the same venue 3-4 times a year over-saturates it.

Sorry dude, but believing storylines to be important for house shows displays a severe lack of understanding for how the business works. Again, I'd love if you were right...but I've learned the hard way. If you ever prove me wrong though, I'll happily hold my hands up and admit it.

1) Nero, the net was NEVER IwW's core fanbase. Sorry to tell you that. Sure Simon did a few things that appealed towards that direction...the NWA/IwW feud being one such example...but the net fans never made it worth his while to bother continuing. You turn a profit by appealing to families, you go out of business by appealing to smart marks. Fact. Ireland isn't NEARLY big enough for an RoH-style promotion to do well.

Whatever helps you and Simon sleep at night, fact of the matter is, despite what numbers IWW claim to have drawn in the past two years, photographs of events since 2007 have shown that attendances haven't been anywhere near as successful as their whiplash years. Reviews of shows from "smart marks" have been piss poor, not because the promotion didn't "pander to them", but because they threw bad gimmicks on bad workers giving them characters that nobody particularly give a f*ck about.

I will agree with you (as i have done before) that Simon has made the most out of that change of direction. But don't try to tell everyone that the product is as good or successful as it was three years ago, because you're kidding yourself. And the fact that IWW guys are looking for external bookings after the promotion had a strict "no working anywhere else" policy, says a hell of a lot to me, i can't speak for anyone else though.

I know how good attendances were in 07, that's when I was in charge of promoting and booking the house shows so it was my job to know.

I'm not here to defend IwW as it stands nowadays. I don't know their current attendances as I haven't been to a show this year and don't pay much attention tbh. I'm going, mainly, on what's been said here.

And mate, I'm sorry, but the 'reviews' you speak of had nothing to do with the turn away from the net. I'm telling you this with 100% honesty...in my 4 years with the company I NEVER heard ANYONE talking about a review they read on boards. That's not to say they didn't...but as far as *I* could tell, the only people who cared about the reviews were the 10 people who read them.

It was the fact that there is only about 10-20 people on boards who actually pay attention to Irish wrestling. And, however vocal those 20 people are, it makes no sense to worry too much about them when you can pull ten times that number with posters & flyers.

Anyway, off to bed. If there's anything else, post it here and I'll reply sometime tomorrow.

I know how good attendances were in 07, that's when I was in charge of promoting and booking the house shows so it was my job to know.

Then you'll remember the decline after TWC decided not to do a series 3 of Whiplash then.
    I'm not here to defend IwW as it stands nowadays. I don't know their current attendances as I haven't been to a show this year and don't pay much attention tbh. I'm going, mainly, on what's been said here.

Which is fair enough, we're both in that same boat.
    And mate, I'm sorry, but the 'reviews' you speak of had nothing to do with the turn away from the net. I'm telling you this with 100% honesty...in my 4 years with the company I NEVER heard ANYONE talking about a review they read on boards. That's not to say they didn't...but as far as *I* could tell, the only people who cared about the reviews were the 10 people who read them.

It was the fact that there is only about 10-20 people on boards who actually pay attention to Irish wrestling. And, however vocal those 20 people are, it makes no sense to worry too much about them when you can pull ten times that number with posters & flyers.

It wasn't just here, it was also on IWW's very own forum too, before it started getting hacked time after time. I do agree that if you can sacrifice 20 people to pull in ten times that number. But by the looks of event photos, IWW have sacrificed more than 20 people, and being able to pull in more than they lost is somewhat questionable.

The best show IwW ever did was the first super show in the SFX. I even own it on DVD I enjoyed it that much. That crowd was pretty much all "smart marks" and was hot from start to finish. I saw very few kids in that packed house. It was set up like a proper wrestling show with big matches and the fans turned out for it. Things like Jody Fleisch's big mystery return were clearly pandered to the smarts, and worked. You have to give them a reason to give a ****, and directionless shows with cheesy gimmicks that pander to kids don't do that. The kids will turn out as soon as they see a poster that says "Wrestling" but for a long term brand you need more than the one shot kids.

As for your experiences booking with IwW, of course fans weren't going to turn up to see you pay off your storylines, because you didn't have the structure in place to educate them. I can't even name an IwW feud off the top of my head, just gimmicks and random matches. If you think house show, you'll always remain house show.

I know how business works despite your claims to the contrary, and to have long term success, you need to give incentive for fans to keep coming back. A wrestling show for a wrestling shows sake can be quite dull. I've sat through Irish shows and other shows that have just been 6 or 7 matches and been bored to tears. Unless you have 5 star workers in there, it's just not gonna hold up long term. You need the rivalries and the soap opera. The big show experience in a small setting.

As for the over saturation point. CPW in their day pretty much ran Drimnagh every single time and consistently pulled about 100 there abouts. They did storylines that arced and from attending shows, I could see that those that attended knew EXACTLY what was going on. Some guys were major over from storylines on previous shows and some had big heat. Now CPW did that with the minimum of promotion. Imagine what you could do if you tried to reach out.

PWU in the north also have arcing stories on their monthly shows and draw solid crowds. UCW back when they had a kick boxing ring and questionable match quality were pulling crowds of hundreds with arcing stories.

It is VERY possible to do a succeful promotion that has stories that are followable. Fans are not stupid people who can't comprehend why one guy hates another like you think. Give them the tools to follow you and if they like the product you present, they will.

Cannibal, to make it simple for you, this is why you can't run storylines at house shows:

***The local papers only want to hear about the hometown guy, the champion and the import. I used to send off massive PRs to the papers detailing info about every guy on the show and every little story arc we could (simple reason behind that: the more they published the bigger the coverage we got)...and (unless I had a contact in the paper) they'd edit out the bits that didn't involve the above.

***Without commentators or local press coverage, it's IMPOSSIBLE to run angles on shows without doing promos, skits etc. People pay their money to see wrestling...not half-amateur hour acting and shorter matches...so you can only run 2 promos per show TOPS. Anything else is self-indulgent tripe that kills the show's momentum. Fact is: unless it's a big show like the SFX one, people only WANT to care about 1-2 big matches then booyay the rest of the way. Look at WWE house shows for example.

***No offence, but when I was looking after promotion for IwW we were going through the biggest and most profitable growth period in the company's history (still is as far as I know)...so we weren't looking to attract the same crowd's as CPW. Nothing against the guys in CPW...again, they're just guys looking to make it same as I was...but using them as an example of a successful company is weak at best.

***We ran some great storylines at Gym Wars for the guys that were interested in that stuff (King of the Gym, Me/Manson/Darcy, turning Bam Katrazz into a serious competitor etc etc)...so it's not as if people were totally neglected in that field. That's what Gym Wars were for...we had our 50-odd people per show who knew everyone on the card and catered specifically for them. Then we used those angles (at least when I was booking) to sell on house shows. Idea being: if you travelled to the house show, while the rest of the punters may just see it as an average throwaway match, the GW fans would know the backstory behind it and have an added depth of appreciation for it.

***I'll just say this too...because you were in the business. You can make every argument FOR storylines that you like...but putting it into practise is a whole other different story.

Remember when you first got into it, for example, there was one REALLY COOL idea (be it a move, an angle etc) you probably had that you were convinced would 'change' the business? Every starry-eyed mark is the same when they first join...I was too. You can list 101 reasons why it's a great idea. Then you actually put it into practise and realise that the idea sucked a lotta balls?

No offence...but I once would have made the exact same argument that you are now. Then I put it into practise. And it sucked a lotta balls. Sorry to break it to you dude. But again, if you ever prove me wrong then I owe you a coke. :)

• Advertisement

You needn't make things simple for me, I understand your points just fine.

The local papers only want to hear about the hometown guy? Fine, tell them about the hometown guy. I was never suggesting that you use newspapers to tell your story. They very rarely get into bed with wrestling.

Without commentators or local press coverage, it's IMPOSSIBLE to run angles on shows

Why?... and who says you can't have commentators. You can easily make a streamed show on the internet if you chose. Marketed and positoned right that show could get hundreds of thousands of hits internationally, if not in excess of a million. You can put all the commentators you want on that.

Fact is: unless it's a big show like the SFX one, people only WANT to care about 1-2 big matches then booyay the rest of the way. Look at WWE house shows for example.

Why not give every show the SFX feel then? The ulimate goal should be to get your guys over to a point to carry a big atmosphere show without the supposed "big names". You can't make your own stars without stories to establish their drives and motivations. Just look at what came out of the FWA in England. That was a tiny promotion that rapidly expanded and out of it came Jody Fleisch, Jonny Storm, Alex Shane, Doug Williams (FWA made their names) and many others out of their academy that fast became in demand internationally. They even got to the point where they were co-promoting shows with RoH. You'll never get to that stage with your Conor Hurley's and Captain Rooney's however.

Nothing against the guys in CPW...again, they're just guys looking to make it same as I was...but using them as an example of a successful company is weak at best.

I used that as an expample of people being able to understand things and actually returning to a venue if you hit it more the 4 or 5 times a year. It was a small scale example, and I said as much. I said, imagine what could be done with a bit of push behind it.

You completely ignored my other examples, like UCW being able to draw 400-600 people while bumping in a rock hard kickboxing ring.

No offence...but I once would have made the exact same argument that you are now. Then I put it into practise. And it sucked a lotta balls.

Put it into practice how? I have NEVER seen IwW push a feud or multiple storylines at once. If you do it in a show far out in the country and don't tell anyone it happened, of course it's going to fall flat on its face.

You can't say it won't work on a massive scale cause it simply hasn't been done yet. You can't do a half assed one or two show effort and say it doesn't work, especially when you made no effort to tell the outside world about them. IwW has never done it, period. They have always done self contained shows, even when they HAD tv.

Promotions that have done it on a small scale have had success with it proportionate to their level. Promotions as near as England have done it to great success but tried to expand too quick to get a handle on it.

1) Why not have Commentators/Stream online: To make it worthwhile, the cost of regular PROFESSIONAL production would be too expensive to give a financial return. A promoter without a good financial backer would go out of business extremely quickly with this idea (I could give you figures if you wanted)...or it'd make his company look bad because of poor production.

2) Why not make every show an SFX show: Lack of financial resources again. SFX shows are extremely costly to hold...and holding them regularly would ruin the novelty of having big international stars overseas. Again, a great way to go out of business quickly. See the original 1PW for example.

3) UCW: I know nothing about this promotion so that's why I didn't discuss them.

4) I've listed examples of how I put it into practise, e.g. Gym Wars. I also used to do posts after every house show listing the major 'happenings' (then tying them into the TV show, GW angles etc) that you can probably find in this very thread.

And the simple fact remains that it's IMPOSSIBLE to run multiple storylines on a show without doing too many promos...which is markish fantasy booking. People paid for wrestling, too boo the bad guys and cheer the good guys. Not promos and skits. You give them 1-2 things to actually sink their teeth into (hometown guys, champion etc) then the rest is just simple, effective, booyay wrestling.

This is stuff that works. And it's drawn the most regular, consistent money that any promotion based in this country has. You can't argue with the numbers mate.

And, once again, if you believe that it's an idea worth doing, then I fully welcome you to put your money where your mouth is and do it. If it's THAT good of an idea...then surely you'll make good money no? And you can quote me on all of this if I'm proven wrong.

To make it worthwhile, the cost of regular PROFESSIONAL production would be too expensive to give a financial return.

It doesn't have to look like a Transformers movie. Once you have a crisp picture, decent sound and a good editing job, it'll look just fine. The likes of CHIKARA seem to get by just fine.

SFX shows are extremely costly to hold...and holding them regularly would ruin the novelty of having big international stars overseas.

I didn't say hold every show in the SFX, I said give your shows the SFX feel. As for the international stars, I said the point would be to make your own stars like FWA did with Fleisch, Storm, Shane and Williams.

e.g. Gym Wars. I also used to do posts after every house show listing the major 'happenings' (then tying them into the TV show, GW angles etc) that you can probably find in this very thread.

Posting on forums is hardly a sustained effort at promoting, and the old Gym Wars venue is not exactly a place to measure the success of the concept. I never attended a Gym Wars myself, but my outside perception is that they weren't full fledged shows. That you would be getting a lot of fresh trainee's and younger kids wrestling much like the monthly FFPW friends and families shows.

And the simple fact remains that it's IMPOSSIBLE to run multiple storylines on a show without doing too many promos...which is markish fantasy booking.

Not every story starts with a promo or skit. Most of your story would be told in the run up to the show and then enacted on the show itself. A lot of stories can be told within the actual context of the match. You don't see RoH rampant with promo's, but they have big feuds and rivalries all the same. In reality, one show would actually be two shows when it comes down to it. You would cater the live show to the audience and relate the stories as best suits that format, then on the edit you would do the show that goes out and that would feature more promos etc and hype for upcoming shows. It would tell the same stories but in a different way for a different type of audience. Then people who watch that will know what the stories are at the next show and not need much live promo explanation as to what is going on. Of course that wouldn't be the only method of finding out about it. It is all about making your promotion as available as possible and everyone who promotes in the country seems to think it is about making your promotion as closed off as possible.

This is stuff that works. And it's drawn the most regular, consistent money that any promotion based in this country has. You can't argue with the numbers mate.

I can argue that the more IwW have gone down the cookie cutter booyay route, the more they have shrank. They were on the verge of becoming a European brand at one stage, now people doubt if they are even the best in Ireland anymore.

And, once again, if you believe that it's an idea worth doing, then I fully welcome you to put your money where your mouth is and do it. If it's THAT good of an idea...then surely you'll make good money no? And you can quote me on all of this if I'm proven wrong.

I almost did just that in 2005 but I stepped aside to make way for somebody after I was given certain promises that were never delivered. Back then I had the money, a job and no responsibilites. Now I have no job, tons of responsibilities and my savings are going towards an apartment in the near future which takes priority.

You may see it in the future but not the immediate future as I am not financially secure enough and it would require a big intitial investment that would take me a while to recover, I would want to own my own ring rather than rent etc. I'm happy enough to let the likes of Gerry Soul take his turn while I get my **** outside wrestling together.

I even have a detailed business plan drawn up that covers just about every single aspect of what I'd intend to do and how I'd go about doing it with all the worst case expenditures and worst case incomes factored in. The margins are definitely tight so there is no major money in it, at least not short term but you can nickel and dime your way to a good position sometime in the future.

Till such a time, I can only sit back and offer my thoughts without money in front of my mouth. When I do it, I'll be doing it from a position of security.

If you ever prove me wrong though, I'll happily hold my hands up and admit it.
    But again, if you ever prove me wrong then I owe you a coke. :)

This is getting a little tiresome leggo, you seem to think that having a few theories that you seem to think can't be proven wrong, automatically makes you right. That isn't necessarily the case, especially when you keep saying "prove me wrong". :)

Because if IWW happen to go under in the next few months, you will be proven wrong and you will be left with a lot of egg on your face.

@Cannibal:

Fair play man.

And when you do it...can I please say I told you so? Cus I guarantee that you'll HATE posts like you're making now that completely fail to see the big picture.

That being: it's very easy to sit back on your PC and say, "Well they clearly should do this and this and this" (even though this this and this, whether good ideas or not, are either financially impossible or would drive your company out of business for various reasons)...but it's a WHOLE other kettle of fish to get up off your arse and actually do it.

To find a balance, that plays within the constraints that you're limited with, that achieves the closest thing to the end product as possible...all the while with a ton of people who've never been in your position telling you how to do your job. All the while assuming that you HAVEN'T thought their genius masterplans through and found out that they haven't worked.

That's not a personal dig at anyone, by the way, let's just make that clear. It's just an insight into what guys like Simon et al have to deal with.

It's rough man. Again, if you do it you'll have my complete respect. But anticipate a few grey hairs and a lot of humble pie along the way.

@ShawnRaven:

How will I be proven wrong?

My tenure promoting for them came between mid-2006 to mid-2007. The biggest growth period in ANY Irish promotion's history! Look at the numbers...do some deep research and check the figures if you like...you even quoted the period yourself as its most successful.

Anything that happened after then hasn't got my fingerprints on them. Certainly not in 2009 a year after I've last wrestled for the promotion...

• Advertisement

@ShawnRaven:

How will I be proven wrong?

Because IWW has been on a downward spiral since about mid 2007 onwards, around the time the direction of the company changed. No doubt IWW will blame it on the recession though.
    My tenure promoting for them came between mid-2006 to mid-2007. The biggest growth period in ANY Irish promotion's history! Look at the numbers...do some deep research and check the figures if you like...you even quoted the period yourself as its most successful.

Yes, the period of where it catered for the fans that you now brush off as "internet smarks", but this part of the conversation is going around in circles now, isn't it?
    Anything that happened after then hasn't got my fingerprints on them. Certainly not in 2009 a year after I've last wrestled for the promotion...

Nobody said you had anything to do with the change of direction of the company. But Cannibal does have a good point, if you have a loyal fanbase that you disregard for a family who'll show up once, maybe twice, numbers, although they will increase for a short period, when the kids get sick of it, the parents won't attend either. Leaving a HUGE dip in attendance, and a kiddy friendly product that it's former fans won't want to touch with a barge pole.

A theory that you blatantly disagree with because of your own experience (and that's fair enough, i might add), I just think that it's the promotions final nail in the coffin. And it's something that time will tell on too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭pingu_girl

Anybody got any shows in the Waterford/Cork area soon?

Yes, the period of where it catered for the fans that you now brush off as "internet smarks", but this part of the conversation is going around in circles now, isn't it?

Is your argument that internet smarts made IwW?

Dude, I could probably name for you the main smarts that came to our shows on a regular basis...they're so few and far between. JeffK was a great, loyal supporter of us and a really cool bloke...but claiming that he's main reason behind IwW's success is a bit of a stretch haha.

It was family crowds, a solid business plan, some good national and local media coverage and stellar groundwork promotion that got them that success. I know, I was there.

Usually when I don't agree with you, I at least can see your point...but that is one ridiculously far-fetched argument you have there ha.

Is your argument that internet smarts made IwW?

Dude, I could probably name for you the main smarts that came to our shows on a regular basis...they're so few and far between. JeffK was a great, loyal supporter of us and a really cool bloke...but claiming that he's main reason behind IwW's success is a bit of a stretch haha.

Point out where i claimed that please?
    It was family crowds, a solid business plan, some good national and local media coverage and stellar groundwork promotion that got them that success. I know, I was there.

Still pushing the company line after being absent from the promotion, eh? More power to you. But while you were in the building, probably chopping and changing things at the last minute, I was IN the actual queues. And believe me, during that time period, it wasn't mostly family crowds.
    Usually when I don't agree with you, I at least can see your point...but that is one ridiculously far-fetched argument you have there ha.

Who the hell, over the age of six ends their side of the argument with "ha."?
    Oh do grow up, please. :)

It was funny dude. Relax. I laughed! :)

It was funny dude. Relax. I laughed! :)

I wish I could, but the decline of what was once a non missable promotion (and i'm not joking about that), stopped being a sick joke to me a long time ago.

Just being honest man.

I wish I could, but the decline of what was once a non missable promotion (and i'm not joking about that), stopped being a sick joke to me a long time ago.

Just being honest man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmYeebWumVY

Right, I think I'm done here for a couple weeks. No doubt I'll have something to debate/argue about with you guys in the future!

Not a lot of what IwW has done has really been by design. They quite often happen into things by accident and let the current take them wherever that accident is heading. TWC basing themselves in Howth was pure chance and IwW got buddy-buddy with Sean Herbert and found themselves with good production, a TV show and access to international stars for super shows and training seminars.

It all fell into their lap, but they didn't really know what to do with it all. The TV show was very random and one of the most poorly reviewed on TWC by UKFF and TWC forum posters, but they grew all the same just by being right place at the right time. In better hands the experience would have been a spring board onto bigger and greater things. They have gone from one idea to the next without really knowing where they plan on ending up and the family focus is the latest incarnation of that.

IwW is the biggest frustration for me because on more than one occassion they have been in the position to pull the trigger and turn into something much more ambitious, but let it pass them by so they could stay in a comfort zone. They have gone from being the undisputed number 1 in Ireland with plenty of prospects for expansion beyond Ireland, to argubly #2 out of a tight top 3 within the country.

Families are a short term money spinner. It's a smash and grab get the money and get out. Fine for semi regular tours, but for a brand you need them to come back. One they've seen your booyay act once, why would they come back. The matches will be the same and all the surrounding factors will be the same. Your show becomes stale after only one show in the area. Build a community around you, feed it and sustain it and then expand it and you will soon have yourself a rabid fanbase. Local bands seem to do a better job than local wrestling promotions of building a community around themselves I feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

What is Eamon D'Arcy up to there days? Is he still dancing around like a stark mad lunatic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭RAMPAGE1

I think storylines are vital I remember getting excited and interested at the thoughts of IWW and NWA working together. I remember thinking finally people are thinking the right way then it fell apart because people forgot how to conduct business but this could have been the beginning of serious strides forward for Irish Wrestling. I believe that promotions here don't run storylines because one the shows aren't regular enough to keep it in peoples minds and 2 it requires too much effort. I'm sure Gerry Soul could comment on the amount of effort it took to put the storylines through CPW. I also disagree with the fact that people don't want to see backstage interviews to build matches. I remember NWA doing this once and I thought it added greatly to the show in the way it built each match even from the kids point of view as they new before hand who the Good and bad guys were. These days you go to shows and god knows who is heel or babyface. Don't most of the top wrestlers in the business talk about their matches in that they were trying to tell a story and not just deliver a series of moves and counter moves. I don't think that the mind set should be any different for a house show , gym war or a Supershow. I believe that Wrestlers have a duty to deliver the best the can everytime they step through the ropes after all isn't that why its called professional wrestling. Based on Gerry's posting last week I'm excited again at the thought that all promotions talent could be pooled into single shows and the talent should be equally as excited and pumped up about this as the possibilities are endless and I think the whole wrestling community in Ireland both fans and wrestlers should support this in everyway.

• Advertisement

The way I would do it if I were to do it is in short tours. Little point in doing one off shows cause it's too hard to maintain momentum. Also easier to recoup your money over a number of shows.

I would operate around bank holiday weekends and do 4 day tours and film everything. At the end of your tour you'd announce a forthcoming "super show" for the next bank holiday with some sort of snazzy name. The best action would be edited down into a series of 1 hour shows that have a story focus. You then show these shows on every form of media you can get them onto. Everything on the show would be building to a huge pay off show that will be the first show of your next tour. Constantly the dates of your next shows will be hyped and the feuds promoted. Every match would have a meaning of some sort.

So then the first show of the next tour is your big pay off show, and the other 3 days of your tour are for filming material to build to the super show on your next tour.

If you're not touring, you're showing weekly footage, if you're not showing weekly footage, you're touring. No matter what your promotion always seems active with something always going on and your fans are given something to sink their teeth into and follow.

I also have tons of ideas for one off shows that would work, but those are for another time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭GerrySoul

The way I would do it if I were to do it is in short tours. Little point in doing one off shows cause it's too hard to maintain momentum. Also easier to recoup your money over a number of shows.

I would operate around bank holiday weekends and do 4 day tours and film everything. At the end of your tour you'd announce a forthcoming "super show" for the next bank holiday with some sort of snazzy name. The best action would be edited down into a series of 1 hour shows that have a story focus. You then show these shows on every form of media you can get them onto. Everything on the show would be building to a huge pay off show that will be the first show of your next tour. Constantly the dates of your next shows will be hyped and the feuds promoted. Every match would have a meaning of some sort.

So then the first show of the next tour is your big pay off show, and the other 3 days of your tour are for filming material to build to the super show on your next tour.

If you're not touring, you're showing weekly footage, if you're not showing weekly footage, you're touring. No matter what your promotion always seems active with something always going on and your fans are given something to sink their teeth into and follow.

I also have tons of ideas for one off shows that would work, but those are for another time.

You Basta*d you stole my idea :D

no but seriously i have thought about doing something almost exactly like this
    its just simply..........MONEY

Without a big financial backer or 10-20 very successful shows under your belt to have a good cash supply should something go wrong ya can't do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭GerrySoul

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmYeebWumVY

Right, I think I'm done here for a couple weeks. No doubt I'll have something to debate/argue about with you guys in the future!

Oh and just priceless. brilliant.

do do do dodo dodododo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Gerard.C wrote: »
    What is Eamon D'Arcy up to there days? Is he still dancing around like a stark mad lunatic?

Met the guy out once, (you know, him being from drogheda and all) and man was he pissed, 100 times friendlier than what he ever was with IwW, and that seemed impossible.

Hear he's off doing some arts degree or something.

Also heard a rumour he wants to run the country.

Well i know for one that I'd vote for him. :D

There would be an element of risk early going but if you don't sleep you should turn out alright :P

The first tour would be all about getting as close to break even as possible, most likely running at a loss. Keeping everything within a tight projected budget and not exceeding it, possibly with a smallish, carefully selected roster initially that would be expanded if everything goes to plan. It would need a LOT of leg work promoting with the conventional methods in conjunction with the never exploited online movement. Make it easy for people to find you. I'd call the first tour the fact finding tour because you'd want to absorb every single morsel and detail about those who attend your shows and use it to bring them back for the second tour. Find out their prefered methods of contact, sign them up to mailing lists. Get to know them and include them. Give them the impression that you are playing for keeps.

It would be on the second tour you would be hoping to make money, if only a small amount on show expenses at least and not the extras. That's where you'd see if the story theory really does pay off with the pay off. At this stage your online show would have been running, you've hopefully expanded your community around you and on your shows you'd be pumping those dates as well as through all the contacts you've absorbed from the first tour. You should be making it easier for yourself with every tour. There should be weeks of promotion put into this show at this rate and the big show in this theory should hopefully carry you over from the red into the black, with the other shows contributing to your total and hopefully with attendences on the rise if only a little.

It'd be the third tour that I'd really expect the full picture to come together. You've gotten past the introduction phase and the shackles are off and you can be a bit more creative with how the show is presented. If nothing is working right at this stage, then it is probably fecked.

So, in short I think you can build a succesful model and the beginnings of a comitted community within 3 tours as long as the appropriate leg work on the ground and commitment to update things online is put into it, there'd be no room for slacking or error. It'd pretty much be full time work. It'd be very sink or swim but I think it could swim with the right crew and minds. All things of an ambitious nature always flirt with disaster but that is the nature of the beast.

Some might think me over ambitious to the point of flaw like Leggo does, but I wouldn't be so opinionated if I honestly didn't think it could be achieved whether on this optimistic timescale I've put or a longer one.

It'd pretty much be full time work.

This is why it wouldnt work, youve given yourself 3 tours with possible 3 shows on each thats 9 shows to try and get everything togther and it wouldnt even be till after your second tour would that anything would be noticed. That not succeful long term plans thats flash in the pan stuff.

Back to the full time work thing, WWE etc can get away with it as thats what they employ people to do, they pay people to run there website constantly and update it, they pay video editors etc

Chikara etc look good cause they got an OUTSIDE production company , smartmark video, doing all the leg work with there dvds, i know my self that to do a DVD to proffesional stanard that isnt editied LIVE at the event is an expensive and long process,

most wrestling shows have 3 cameras, hard cam and two floor cams, you gotta pay those guys and depite what people wana hear the 3 camera men on there own would cost prob HALF what any wrestling show in ireland is spending on just one event, thats just for filming a show never mind editing.packaging and mass procudeing dvds etc.

Doing live wrestling events with a story built into that show is all people care about, if even its the wrestling thats gets them into the seats a little story on the night is the iceing on the cake. for anyone to argue against that have delsuions of granduer.

and for someone who posted on here that u need to know before going into a show before hand whos face and heel thats a load of crock, if a wreslter cant make people know on the 30 second to the minute on his entrance alone if hes a good guy or bad guy better just quit there and then.

It would be 12 shows actually in that scenario. 4 shows per tour. 1 would be a supershow, the other 3 would be the building shows that would be cut up and edited into the one hour programs. I would probably even chance getting a "name" on tour one to get some more spotlight on it even if it does run at a loss.

I've worked on short film projects that have had next to no budget at all and in post production in home studios were made to look like a million bucks. Photoshop, Adobe Premier and a commentary track and you're good to go. Any other things you can get over time and gradually up your production.

Camera men you wouldn't pay. You'd get 3 decent quality camera's and get helpers out for those roles. Maybe hook them up with something if you feel like it but they wouldn't cost an arm and a leg.

The website, editing shows, doing the leg work etc is where it'd verge into full time because you'd have to do it yourself with maybe some volunteers if you're lucky. Much like ECW was pretty much run out of Paul Heyman's mother's basement. It's just a fact. If you want to do a promotion with that level of ambition, you need to do it full time, probably in conjunction with a full time job that you already have so you're looking at 80 hour weeks. It was never claimed to be easy. If you have a job where you can do all your updates and stuff from there, all the better. You'd have to be a madman who really loves it to get into wrestling promoting. That is never denied. My argument is that a solid home grown promotion is achievable over time and won't lose you an arm and a leg once the community is built. The promotion aspect of it would get a little bit easier once the infrastucture was in place.

Things like websites can even make you money instead of costing you money if done right, and there are other elements you can bring into your promotion to help offset initial costs but I'll go into those another time maybe.

Camera men you wouldn't pay.

Yea thats smart,cut corners where it matters most if you want an onlive or dvd to help sell the product,camera men who know how to get the shot use cameras etc fck that ill get a mate and tell him to press record that will do me,

like i said chickara etc outside company, Len davies who runs or ran RQW (which is dead is it not) is a prodcution company first and foremost, hell he not films nearly ALL uk shows like WZW etc or at least used to.

ECW had proper TV equipment, it was run out his mother basement as it was a place for him to cut a corner so he didnt have to pay for a studio, promos done in the baement a park from the venue etc, in the venue etc.

But every one still got paid, way better than anyone here could hope for from the indysnot like ECW was run on a shoestring budget like irish shows are, it had the money to pay guys decnt pay trought out u only got to watch enough shoot interviews and youd know this.

like everything it all takes time, just this is the MTV generation nd people expect everything there and then, ROH has a great model for there shows, film skipts and promos backstage before dureing and after shows, edit and place them in DVDs in the write order, thats the DVD taken care off, then do the youtube ten minute advertisen video where u have guys plug upcoming shows recap the MAIN storyline /fued that will be the focus of the show, plug the dvd the schol etc

its all doable but it all takes time and the big one, everyone getten this one MONEY, and im not talken 5k or something hell 5k will help you get a decent ring made and shiped, new promotion with all those ideas you wana becomfrtabel and secure try 50k other wise start with 10k and slowly build yourself up from there.

Do the booyaa shows get the money, work for that smoke machine, that extra camera, the light rig etc.

like jake roberts said you wana make a $1 million in wrestling start with $2 million.

I don't pay for what I can get for free. There is no way I'd even consider paying a camera man as much or more than a wrestler working the show especially when the margins are as tight as they are. If the shows were making substantial money I would, otherwise the money would be saved for the actual talent. The hard camera is what it is and the floating cameras follow wherever the action goes, and for promos someone hops up on the apron. It's not rocket science. Between all the various cameras you'll get a shot you can use whether it's a pro or an amateur wielding the camera.

I see the sense in what you say production wise but if you start with the booyay, you'll likely be stuck doing booyay as you succumb to the problems that I have listed about those shows. You need to punch above your weight or you won't punch at all.

Of course I'm not even sure if I'll even be in this country in 2 years time so it is all just theory and debate until put into practice. A fun debate none the less.

At the end of the day it is a business and you are likely right about the 50k forecast. When you think about it, that is actually cheap for a starting amount. Most businesses will take you for 200k a year between leases and staff and to my mind you are under more pressure to hit the ground running with those because you usually involve the banks. 50k is almost manageable even if it did go tits up if it is a goal of yours, a good deal of that is even one off expenses and your investments would go down. I personally wouldn't do it until I had a place that I fully owned, a steady job and am stable otherwise. I have the money to do it but not the other factors and you need everything lined up in order to do it right.

Never the less I still believe my ideas have merit and can still be employed to great success with the right people behind them. Anyone who even attempted it would get my full support, not that I expect them to given the "Now hold on a seconds" I've gotten in response :p

• Advertisement

I actually like the direction this thread has taken. "Here's what I would do..." is a much more proactive discussion than "Here's what such and such SHOULD do..." And respect to Cannibal for putting his neck on the line too.

Cannibal, you say that E50k would be a reasonable starting cost. First and foremost...where would you get that E50k? Right now, I'll tell you, do NOT spend it out of your own cash! (unless you become a millionaire entrepeneur between now and then...even then I wouldn't recommend it...) That's asking for personal ruin...along with professional one...should things go wrong for unforeseen circumstances. Imagine what happened to IwW in Cork happened to you. Only you've invested E50k in the show. People have topped themselves over less. It's devastating.

Here's a rule of thumb I learned along the way: if you can't convince someone rich to invest the money for you...then it's not worth investing in. They'll spot the positives and negatives of your idea much quicker than you...plus won't have the personal bias that'll sometimes blind good-willing promoters.

So you've got to think about sponsorship...right down to how you'd pitch differently to the likes of IwW. Then you've got to think...who's got E50k lying around to invest in this...and how can I give them a good return on that money? Then you've got to factor in that IwW have probably tried to get sponsorship money off them, and have had the added benefit of tons of national media coverage etc behind them, so why will they invest in you when they've probably said no to more established brands? What can you offer them?

As far as production goes...how can you get your hands on some free camera equipment? Can you name for me, off the top of your head right now, people who you can get to volunteer to tape and edit the show for free? Because if you're left editing it yourself, your 80-hour week just became a 100-hour week. And why would they do it for free? I mean, you've a better chance of getting a guy to wrestle for you for free...because you are giving him a wrestling booking where he mightn't have one otherwise...but as far as production goes you've really nothing to offer those people for their time. They'd be doing it for a favour. So can you call on a team who'll put in those hours for you out of friendship alone? Keep in mind, that calling in these kinda favours can also tell you who your REAL friends are and just how loyal exactly they are to you. So it's not nice from a personal standpoint.

I'm not asking these questions to have a go. But these are the kinda specifics that need to be thought fully through when starting a promotion as ambitious as you're suggesting. One link goes missing in the chain and you've just lost a few thousand quid...or you'll have no choice but to drop an idea that you once held as fundamental to your business plan. A couple of delayed flights due to bad weather and your Supershow can turn to **** just like that.

It's that tough lads. This is why I'll constantly add a balance to the side...because I've seen this stuff happen firsthand. And, again, it's very different to stand back and criticise but a WHOLE other thing to step into someone's shoes and attempt to do it. One simple idea written in one small sentence without a moment's thought, no matter how sensible it may sound, may take six months of full-time admin work to get from paper to practise.

As far as production goes...how can you get your hands on some free camera equipment? Can you name for me, off the top of your head right now, people who you can get to volunteer to tape and edit the show for free? Because if you're left editing it yourself, your 80-hour week just became a 100-hour week. And why would they do it for free? I mean, you've a better chance of getting a guy to wrestle for you for free...because you are giving him a wrestling booking where he mightn't have one otherwise...but as far as production goes you've really nothing to offer those people for their time. They'd be doing it for a favour. So can you call on a team who'll put in those hours for you out of friendship alone? Keep in mind, that calling in these kinda favours can also tell you who your REAL friends are and just how loyal exactly they are to you. So it's not nice from a personal standpoint.

This is what i was tryen to say earlyier just couldnt get it out lol dahm writers block, and i refer back to your not payen a cameraman more than a wreslter, a wrestler only has to wrestle for 10-30 mins then hes done, a camera man has to stand around for 3 hours and doing that is such a strain on the body try to keep the camera steady etc after 3 hours of that ur back arms legs etc are all fcked from the strains being put on the muscles,

youd be lucky to get a prodcution company to do you a deal maybe £1000 pershow and they get a percantage of dvds sales, or something, it is a costly thing but when done rite it is a million times better,

an extra 20 hours added to the 80 try an extra 36 or more, considering that uve record onto 3 camers and the shows 3 hours long, thats 9 hours in itself to log in all the footage, thats before any intverviews of skits recorded, then you got to edit the show, see which cmaera has the best angel etc then once that edits done you gotta have comentators come in and watch it and then commentate theres another 3 hours. thats if your doing it all on your own. at least with pro companys theyll work to dead lines etc and wont take forever to get dvds out. And if your lucky they can do live editing which is a huge setup in itself.

DIdnt IWW take forever to get dvds out? or where near the end as it was being done internally by that point?

Wrestlers put their body on the line and are often at the venue for hours waiting for their 10-30 minutes. They could be there hours before the camera man even arrives. Quite often they'll also be the ones to help you put up your ring and may help with other areas of preparation depending on how commited they are to your cause. They also make or break whether your show actually even comes off as good in any way. The best camera man can't make a crap match seem good.

Shows would be 2 hours, not 3 with an intermission in the middle and small breaks in between matches. That's an hour, then 15 minutes break followed by another hour. The tripod cams would be sufficent to get the action if they need breaks after the bell of each match.

Before you even go into post production you'll pretty much know what you want to do. You'll know what matches worked best and what you generally want to show on a one hour show. In my scenario you'd perhaps do 4 shows on the August bank holiday and then plan to run again in the October bank holiday. So you'll have most of August to work on the production and probably would want to have it out sometime in September to promote for October. Your one hour show will have 2, maybe 3 matches so you can immediatly archive what you know is not going to be used and save yourself the time of editing it. So for 8 hours of footage taken, you'e really only probably going to be editing two hours of that. Say 4 one hour shows that are half hour wrestling, half hour promos, hype, promotion etc with hosts and commentators. Promos don't need that much editing, it's a guy staring at straight ahead at a camera. It might need cropping or a graphic if you're feeling fancy but not much else.

For the super shows starting on the second tour, they'd be 3 hour specials but I would bring in a production company for those to give it a different feel and release those exclusively as DVD or online pay on demand while my online show promotes it. Those would be the only shows I would go to an outside company for until there was a steady stream of income to justify their regular use.

As for the 50k, that could come a number of ways but that's something to sort before you even get started on the wrestling aspect. You could even do a consortium of 5 guys investing 10k each, that way you'd split responsibilities 5 ways and your time wouldn't be so drained. As long as the responsibilities of each investor were made clear before going full steam ahead and someone was made head honcho of seeing everything going smoothly.

As for the 50k, that could come a number of ways but that's something to sort before you even get started on the wrestling aspect. You could even do a consortium of 5 guys investing 10k each, that way you'd split responsibilities 5 ways and your time wouldn't be so drained. As long as the responsibilities of each investor were made clear before going full steam ahead and someone was made head honcho of seeing everything going smoothly.

But what if the investor didnt want to beinvloved and just wanted a return on there money and a profit as its there money being put at risk etc, leaving alll the risk of the shows doing good etc on one person and if it fails and theese people epext money back legs broken i fear lol
    then you have the scenarior, all 5 guys want to do different things or want to book different people etc creating one massive headache,

Any good cameraman would be there at the same time as everyone else, and depending on the eupiment used cabels might have to layed etc then they got to whitebalance there cameras and compensate for the shows lighting etc, then they got to worry bout the sound as well, nothen worse than haven terrible sound on tape. They would be leaving at the same time as the rest of the wreslters and crew aswell.

Offcourse there not gonna help out with the ring etc thats not what there being payed to do, most wrestlers dont do the ring, hence why ring crews are employed etc.

Not saying the investor thing is how I'd do it I'm just giving a scenario. Obviously you'd have to have things in writng as to who controls the direction of different areas and so on. Personally, I actually would invest my own money despite Leggo's warnings. I'd only do it if I was secure like I said though. I'm a big believer in living with as little debt as possible and if it's my own investment then it's only me who can feck it up and I could walk away at any time without any obligation to anybody cause it's my money and my intellectual property. As long as I can pay bills the worst that can happen is that I go back to square one and sell off all the equipment I've aquired like the ring, camera's etc at a loss but to at least some recouped cost. That's just me though, I don't like having extra factors. Others might feel safer with other people's money, but that is even riskier than my own money in my mind.

I don't deny the wonders a good camera man can do, I just still believe it an unneccesary expense for the starting level. If I was on actual TV, or solely a DVD based company then yeah, but it just wouldn't be feasible in this format. It is one shortcut that would have to be made.

As another note on editing. I actually think that's the part I'd enjoy MOST. During the show you'll have too many things to worry about to actually enjoy the show. When you are editing you are the first to see what the fruits of your labour are and get to determine the final product that the people see. It has it's own sort of creativity. I've always liked editing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I've stayed out of this thread for the most part (as a mod and as a user) as I am admittedly very uninformed on the nature and history of the Irish wrestling scene. However, there are a couple of things that have sprung up that I can actually make comparisons with.

I perform stand-up comedy and am a promoter in that industry. Anyone who is saying "you don't understand everything that goes into putting on a show", believe me I do. You put on a show once every month or two around the country, get back to me when you have done the wrestling equivilant of putting on a month ling run of stand-up comedy shows at the Edinburgh fringe festival (the largest performance arts festival in the world) with a roster of over 20 performers throughout the run, and that doesn't include the acts we had flying in and out for dates. Spend a minimum of 4 hours a day every day for a month walking around handing out flyers, and then go and perform twice a day aswell. Then do the line-ups and put a show together (putting a comedy show together requires as much attention to balance and styles as a wrestling show believe it or not).

I'm not comparing stand-up comedy to wrestling, but what I a pointing out is that as the promoter it is your duty to try and get the punters in, for the sake of the performers and the audience. If you're promoting, your main job is to get butts in seats, end of.

• Advertisement

orestes wrote: »
    If you're promoting, your main job is to get butts in seats, end of.

One question... what about keeping them in the seats? ie: drawing the same punters back in the same cities/towns? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭FFPW_Dean

This past weekend saw Fight Factory once again represented on the Irish wrestling scene:

Sports Entertainment Wrestling King of the Ring Tournament, 20th June 2009, Cookstown Leisure Centre, Cookstown Co. Tyrone:

First Round:
    Joey Cabray def 'Superhero' Sean South

Notes:
    In the absence of notable FFPW members Paul Tracey & Sean 'Maxer' Brennan at this show, Sean South was left to represent Ireland's best training school in SEW's King Of The Ring tournament.
    Although he suffered a first round exit by means of a narrow loss to AWR Stalwart Joey Cabray, South would end up playing a major role in the outcome of the tournament.
    Hot favourite for the King Of The Ring Crown Duncan Disorderly clashed with JC Williams in the semi final round of the tournament, when Duncan had the match all but won, South distracted the ref & tossed a bag of blinding salts into JC Williams, who used these to score a major upset victory over the man who has won every previous SEW tournament.
    The night did not end there however as in the final round, South would again try to intervene on behalf of JC Williams, this time however he was stopped by Disorderly before Joey Cabray could feel the brunt of an enraged & jealous South swinging a ringside chair.
    The end result would be Joey Cabray winning the tournament and the inhumanely large trophy in a very well recieved end result of the evening.

FFPW Would like to remind all who read this that we are always enrolling new members and information on training courses can be found via the FFPW bebo page (in the sig below) or by PM'ing myself or FFPW_Office on boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭littleman

FFPW_Dean wrote: »
    This past weekend saw Fight Factory once again represented on the Irish wrestling scene:

Sports Entertainment Wrestling King of the Ring Tournament, 20th June 2009, Cookstown Leisure Centre, Cookstown Co. Tyrone:

First Round:

Notes:
    In the absence of notable FFPW members Paul Tracey & Sean 'Maxer' Brennan at this show, Sean South was left to represent Ireland's best training school in SEW's King Of The Ring tournament.
    Although he suffered a first round exit by means of a narrow loss to AWR Stalwart Joey Cabray, South would end up playing a major role in the outcome of the tournament.
    Hot favourite for the King Of The Ring Crown Duncan Disorderly clashed with JC Williams in the semi final round of the tournament, when Duncan had the match all but won, South distracted the ref & tossed a bag of blinding salts into JC Williams, who used these to score a major upset victory over the man who has won every previous SEW tournament.
    The night did not end there however as in the final round, South would again try to intervene on behalf of JC Williams, this time however he was stopped by Disorderly before Joey Cabray could feel the brunt of an enraged & jealous South swinging a ringside chair.
    The end result would be Joey Cabray winning the tournament and the inhumanely large trophy in a very well recieved end result of the evening.

FFPW Would like to remind all who read this that we are always enrolling new members and information on training courses can be found via the FFPW bebo page (in the sig below) or by PM'ing myself or FFPW_Office on boards.ie

Unlucky one southy,well done for getting revenge back for it,to bad it didnt work the second time to help jc williams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Irish Stunner

FFPW_Dean wrote: »

First Round:

Notes:

Wow Southy your just so great

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭FFPW_Dean

As many of you may or may not know, FFPW members Jordan Devlin & Sean South compete regularly in Scotland as a tag team named 'Green, White & AWESOME'
    So far the duo has been extremely successful, undefeated in tag team competition & the proud holders of both the BCW & PBW tag team championships

They were set to defend their BCW championships tomorrow in a match against 1PW's 'Damned Nation' (Dragon Aisu & Jon Cameron, who will be familiar to CPW fans).

However, we have recieved shocking news here via a BCW news source on the UKFF. See below:
    BREAKING NEWS!!

The Damned Nation will be making their presence known in BCW this Friday when they challenge for the Tag Team Championships.
    The Tag Team Champions, Jordan Devlin and Sean South, were informed of the news and within a few hours an email sent through which was apparently from Sean South said their flight details had been erased from the Flight Companies records. Although neither man did it they are pretty sure the Damned Nation have pulled a few strings and with a limited amount of flights to and from Ireland it is impossible for them to return to Scotland to defend their belts – this however is a breach of contract and therefore they have been STRIPPED of their titles.

So the final match just signed for tomorrow in Kilmarnock Grand Hall THE DAMNED NATION will take on the team of WOLFGANG and RED LIGHTNING for the VACANT BCW Tag Team Championships

source: http://ukff.com/index.php?showtopic=113284&st=15&p=1944432&#entry1944432

More on this story as it becomes available. . .providing all 11 & a half people who read this are interested, of course.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement