Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Simon Webb: abuse at Rovers game on Friday

• 23-04-2007 5:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭

Have a read, they were slagging his wife who died last year? Whats that all about?

People like that should be banned from going to matches!

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/?jp=MHAUQLOJSNSN

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Typical Rovers tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Already mentioned in the EL thread.

Always a few idiots, especially with Rovers.

Remember a similar incident in Turners Cross a few years ago with Tony O'Dowd getting abuse about his dead brother.

Best thing is for Rovers fans to police themselves and tell these idiots to cop the **** on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Did the el thread not say it was Rovers player though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Stekelly wrote:
    Did the el thread not say it was Rovers player though?

Well apparently Paul Doolin was going ape in a post match interview about the abuse Webb recieved from a Rovers player and was going to make an ofiicial complaint to the FAI. *If* a Rovers' player has made any abusive comments to Webb about his wife he should be sacked and banned from playing in Irish football ever again.

As for those Rovers idiots, I hope appropriate action is taken against those morons but sadly it appears Rovers have continued to have not done enough to get rid of the minority of scum in their fanbase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

RasTa wrote:
    Typical Rovers tbh.

Problem isn't the club, problem is people=assholes sometimes. Happens at every club in the world TBH.
    *If* a Rovers' player has made any abusive comments to Webb about his wife he should be sacked and banned from playing in Irish football ever again.

Jeez, talk about an over reaction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

Problem isn't the club, problem is people=assholes sometimes. Happens at every club in the world TBH.

Nope its justified, if that happened at work he would get fired no questions asked.

PCros wrote:
    Nope its justified, if that happened at work he would get fired no questions asked.

And would he be banned from working in Ireland ever again?

You don't ban somebody from football for life because of comments on the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Would this be classed as a case of the "English Disease" or de we have terminology for our home grown morons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Muppet, you know well that that term was being used in other jurisdictions apart from this forum, way before this forum was even active.

Your attempt to troll LoI fans is disgraceful.

By Ireland he means profession, yeah you should be banned from that profession end of story.

Can't believe your justifying somebody slagging a person over their wife who died 8 months ago?

Theres a limit when it comes to football, yeah fair enough shout, curse even start on another player if your pissed off over a foul or something, but to make unprovoked remarks about somebodies family like that is unacceptable.

• Advertisement

PCros wrote:
    Can't believe your justifying somebody slagging a person over their wife who died 8 months ago?

Care to point out where I've done that? I'd expect a proportionate response to alleged comments made on the field, a lifetime ban from the game in Ireland is far from proportionate.

In the grand scheme of things, slagging somebody off because of a death in their family is pretty low...not as low as racism, or homophobia mind you...or violent conduct. few (if any) of those have resulted in life bans from the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

Read today that Rovers apologised to him. Was only a short article and didn't actually say for what. Guess i know now. Disgrace if its true but dont over react too much.

Care to point out where I've done that? I'd expect a proportionate response to alleged comments made on the field, a lifetime ban from the game in Ireland is far from proportionate.

In the grand scheme of things, slagging somebody off because of a death in their family is pretty low...not as low as racism, or homophobia mind you...or violent conduct. few (if any) of those have resulted in life bans from the game.

Okay if someone called me gay or hit me I wouldnt give a crap, if somebody slagged me over the death of a family member I'd knock them out and I would find that ten times more offensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Slagging someone over a dead relative "not as low" as homophobic abuse? :eek:

http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/

Apology to Simon Webb (Drogheda United FC)
    21 Apr 2007.On behalf of the club's membership and the entire Shamrock Rovers community, we wish to issue a public apology to Simon Webb for the heartless and highly personal verbal abuse he was subjected to from a tiny minority of the attendance at the Shamrock Rovers-Drogheda United game at Tolka Park on April 20. Those responsible should be ashamed of themselves and are certainly not welcome at Shamrock Rovers. An investigation into the incident has begun and those responsible will be dealt with in an appropriate manner.
    Shamrock Rovers FC Board of Directors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

the player allegedly involved is Barry Ferguson. He didnt directly say anything about simons wife but what happened was simon was visably upset by the abuse and was talking to the ref about it when ferguson told him to "shut the fcuk up and stop whinging" or something along then lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

seansouth wrote:
    Muppet, you know well that that term was being used in other jurisdictions apart from this forum, way before this forum was even active.

Your attempt to troll LoI fans is disgraceful.

Indeed it was and voilence at Football games is far more widespread that the term "English Disease" implies. I was just pointing out the obvious in my own style. The point I made is a serious observation not a troll to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ On behalf of all eL fans I apologise to you and your English brethern :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

RasTa wrote:
    Typical Rovers tbh.

And no other fan would say that kind of stuff of course :rolleyes:

Was at the match but didn't hear it. If true, the culprits should be punished but sacking or permabaning players is OTT IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

stovelid wrote:
    And no other fan would say that kind of stuff of course :rolleyes:

They were slagging a man about his recently deceased wife. I don't care who else might do it, that's beyond low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

But he would ever work for the same company again FAI

Ban them all, the player and the handful of fans for life

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

stovelid wrote:
    Was at the match but didn't hear it. If true, the culprits should be punished but sacking and permabaning players is OTT IMO.

I think the fact that Rovers have issued a public appology means that its true.

redzerdrog wrote:
    the player allegedly involved is Barry Ferguson. He didnt directly say anything about simons wife but what happened was simon was visably upset by the abuse and was talking to the ref about it when ferguson told him to "shut the fcuk up and stop whinging" or something along then lines.

Barry Ferguson, a typical nobody who cant make it as a pro footballer! Ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

quad_red wrote:
    They were slagging a man about his recently deceased wife. I don't care who else might do it, that's beyond low.

What like Manchester United fans singing about Hillsborough? Or Liverpool fans singing about Munich? Fact is, this goes on everywhere in the world - doesn't make it right of course.

I personally think that the people that did it should be told they're no longer welcome at Rovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

quad_red wrote:

Look at the poster I quoted in my post. I wasn't condoning it. Just saying that it's dumb to say low behaviour is specific to particular fans.

Four Shelbourne 'fans' get lifetime bans from Tolka Park.

http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=633

Well done to the new and improved Board of Management, this is excellent news.

*If* a Rovers' player has made any abusive comments to Webb about his wife he should be sacked and banned from playing in Irish football ever again.

Over reaction??? The **** apparently abused a fellow professional over the death of his wife.... there is possibly nothing more evil and lower in life to say to another human being. There is no place in life for comments like that let alone on a football pitch.

Why don't you ban someone for life for a comment like that?

What difference is there between a fan making abuse comments of that sinister nature and a player making abusive comments of that sinister nature? Nothing.

''Ah but sure banning the fans for life is grand as they're scum but banning the footballer for life cannot happen because... eh.... it just cant y'know.''

Just because a player is suspended for any amount of time doesn't prevent him from been employed by a club, just means he can't play on the football pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

The **** apparently abused a fellow professional over the death of his wife.... there is possibly nothing more evil and lower in life to say to another human being.
    I thought the player just told him to stop whinging to the ref. I have no idea if Barry Ferguson knew what he was "whinging" about. I've done it before to tell someone to just stop whinging cos i assumed it was over some game related incident. Did Barry Ferguson actually know what Webb was complaining about?

Rovers apologised for the fans so they obviously don't think their player was involved (whether rightly or wrongly i don't know).

I also love the way you used the words " The ****" followed by "apparently". Why call him a **** if you are unsure of the facts? This is a side issue tho.

Over reaction??? The **** apparently abused a fellow professional over the death of his wife.... there is possibly nothing more evil and lower in life to say to another human being. There is no place in life for comments like that let alone on a football pitch.

I'm going to assume a few things, correct me if I'm wrong...you're a white hetrosexual male, from a Christian background, and an Irish national living in Ireland...see where I'm going with this? You want to compare an alleged comment with the treatment handed out to a black friend of a friend who had Roma fans give him the fascist salute in Manchester two weeks ago while calling him a n*gger?

''Ah but sure banning the fans for life is grand as they're scum but banning the footballer for life cannot happen because... eh.... it just cant y'know.''

Tell me you're not suggesting I said that...:rolleyes:

I'll state again, alleged misconduct on the field of play should be met with proportionate punishment. A lifetime ban from the game is not proportionate.

B-K-DzR wrote:
    I thought the player just told him to stop whinging to the ref. I have no idea if Barry Ferguson knew what he was "whinging" about. I've done it before to tell someone to just stop whinging cos i assumed it was over some game related incident. Did Barry Ferguson actually know what Webb was complaining about?

From what I have heard the story isn't as innocent as that.
    B-K-DzR wrote:
    I also love the way you used the words " The ****" followed by "apparently". Why call him a **** if you are unsure of the facts? This is a side issue tho.

That quoted post is based on the original complaint by Drogheda that was Webb was abused by a Rovers player, anyone would call any player doing something like that a **** anyway. No one is in a position to make allegations on an internet forum hence the use of the word ''apparently''. Don't look so deep into my words Bkdzzdrzr, it's not worth the hassel!
    I'm going to assume a few things, correct me if I'm wrong...you're a white hetrosexual male, from a Christian background, and an Irish national living in Ireland...see where I'm going with this? You want to compare an alleged comment with the treatment handed out to a black friend of a friend who had Roma fans give him the fascist salute in Manchester two weeks ago while calling him a n*gger?

WTF? :rolleyes: We're talking about Webb's incident and no other. Don't try to derail the thread topic thanks.

And for the record I for one do not tolerate any racism, sectarianism, homophobia or abusing a player about their deceased wife in football. All are as bad as each other and IMO if any ''fan'' or player does this they should be banned for life. End of.
    Tell me you're not suggesting I said that...:rolleyes:

I'll state again, alleged misconduct on the field of play should be met with proportionate punishment. A lifetime ban from the game is not proportionate.

What type of ban do you believe the fans who abused Webb over his deceased wife should recieve?

Going by your tone of proportionate punishment for any player who does the same I can only assume you think these fans should get banned for a few games?

• Advertisement

WTF? :rolleyes: We're talking about Webb's incident and no other. Don't try to derail the thread topic thanks.

Its quite relevant. I'm not the one suggesting that "there is possibly nothing more evil and lower in life to say to another human being." Are you rowing back on that?
    What type of ban do you believe the fans who abused Webb over his deceased wife should recieve?

First of all, have they been identified? Secondly, does the club have a policy laid out for dealing with supporter misconduct (I ask because incidents of abuse from fans are punishable at Tottenham by expulsion from the ground, and can be possibly followed up by further punitive action depending on the severity of the incident)

I'd suggest a year or two away from Rovers' games would suffice as punitive action. Apologies for not getting my panties in a twist on this one, but seriously dude, people say and sing bad things at football...see my previous post for my thoughts on the grand scheme of things...

My final contribution BTW, can't be bothered with another load of too-ing and fro-ing on the forum right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

What like Manchester United fans singing about Hillsborough? Or Liverpool fans singing about Munich? Fact is, this goes on everywhere in the world - doesn't make it right of course.
    off topic but this is news to me

county wrote:

To the tune of "We won it 5 times". "The killed their own fans, they killed their own fa-ans, that time in Hillsborough, they killed their own fans". Probably more likely to be heard in the boozers around OT than actually in the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Not the 1st time Rovers fans have gone to new lows, few years ago they abused Stephen Geoghan (their ex striker) over his son who has TB.

Have heard some sick **** at most grounds anywhere really (altho i wasnt quite sure what Bochum fans sang at Frankfurt fans but it pissed them off alot), few pats fans had a sick song about Ollie Byrne a few weeks ago most were told to STFU havent heard it since.

You will get this in football but most fans have standards and the webb **** was just plain wrong.

kdjac

county wrote:

The you obviously haven't been at a United v Liverpool game in the last 10 years. "96 was not enough" "You killed your own fans," there's a full repetoire.

The you obviously haven't been at a United v Liverpool game in the last 10 years. "96 was not enough" "You killed your own fans," there's a full repetoire.

Heard both and another to the tune of london bridge at the last game in Anfield.

Still doesnt make the abuse webb got anyway right or any less low.

kdjac

• Advertisement

KdjaCL wrote:
    Heard both and another to the tune of london bridge at the last game in Anfield.

Still doesnt make the abuse webb got anyway right or any less low.

kdjac

No it doesn't. Like I said - whoever was responsible should be told they're no long welcome at Rovers. However, it shows that things like that sadly happen at nearly every club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

seansouth wrote:

They should stick there names up aswell. Other people might think twice about it again.

They should stick there names up aswell. Other people might think twice about it again.

in england they make the local papers, brilliant idea that has worked very well.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

seansouth wrote:

What did they do? :confused:

Zebra3 wrote:
    What did they do? :confused:
    They are Skooligans probably - or the twenty/thirty-something Leaders of Skooligans hopefully.

Anyway, it's a lifetime ban from Tolka, I wonder will they be in Whitehall tomorrow :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

any news from rovers, about how the investigation is going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Apparently the one fan who abused Webb has been given a lifetime ban.

Yeah, this was announced yesterday.

seansouth wrote:
    They are Skooligans probably - or the twenty/thirty-something Leaders of Skooligans hopefully.

Anyway, it's a lifetime ban from Tolka, I wonder will they be in Whitehall tomorrow :p

So you're delighted people are barred from Tolka for life, but you've no idea what they've done, if anything? :confused:

Skooligans have twenty/thirty something leaders? First, I've heard.....Do these people tell them what to do or what's the story?

Zebra3 wrote:
    So you're delighted people are barred from Tolka for life, but you've no idea what they've done, if anything? :confused:
    Look mate, I don't know the names of these people, but I have seen, at games, the behaviour that goes on. It is some of the people who behave in this anti-social manner that have been banned. So yes, I'm delighted.

Are you not?
    Zebra3 wrote:
    Skooligans have twenty/thirty something leaders? First, I've heard.....Do these people tell them what to do or what's the story?

Have you ever gotten the supporters bus to an away game?

You clearly haven't.

If you had you would know all about certain people aged in their late twenties or early thirties who actively encourage and egg-on the skooligan behaviour. They go to the offo's and illegally purchase alcohol for them. They don't 'orchestrate' the trouble as such, but they do 'encourage' it by laughing along with them, general egging on, you know what I mean.

KdjaCL wrote:
    in england they make the local papers, brilliant idea that has worked very well.

kdjac

Bollocks. While rapists and child abusers regularly get anonymity? I don't think so. By all means apply the law to people who are found to have committed a crime, but to twist the knife and make sure a lad loses his job etc, I really don't think so.

Bateman wrote:
    Bollocks. While rapists and child abusers regularly get anonymity? I don't think so. By all means apply the law to people who are found to have committed a crime, but to twist the knife and make sure a lad loses his job etc, I really don't think so.

Why not? The lifetime bannees from Shels and Rovers should have their names in the paper or do you wish to remain anonymous in your activities whilst supporting your team?

***** should be in the papers can get no better deterrent to stop people doing this **** if they know they will lose their jobs over it. Scum dont deserve anonymity.

kdjac

seansouth wrote:
    Look mate, I don't know the names of these people, but I have seen, at games, the behaviour that goes on. It is some of the people who behave in this anti-social manner that have been banned. So yes, I'm delighted.

Are you not?

I've seen stuff go on at games as well, believe it or not, but I hope that none of those banned have been banned without good reason. As I don't know who was banned or for what, I can't say I'm delighted as maybe a genuine supporter has been banned in a case of mistaken identity. And I would hate to see that happen. Doesn't seem to bother you......
    seansouth wrote:
    Have you ever gotten the supporters bus to an away game?

You clearly haven't.

If you had you would know all about certain people aged in their late twenties or early thirties who actively encourage and egg-on the skooligan behaviour. They go to the offo's and illegally purchase alcohol for them. They don't 'orchestrate' the trouble as such, but they do 'encourage' it by laughing along with them, general egging on, you know what I mean.

Have travelled on the buses to plenty of games down the country. I've never seen anyone in their late twenties or early thirties encouraging younger fans to cause trouble. And the younger fans certainly don't need older people to buy drink for them when outside Dublin. Almost anywhere serves them including the bars of certain other league clubs who shall remain nameless.

KdjaCL wrote:
    Why not? The lifetime bannees from Shels and Rovers should have their names in the paper or do you wish to remain anonymous in your activities whilst supporting your team?

***** should be in the papers can get no better deterrent to stop people doing this **** if they know they will lose their jobs over it. Scum dont deserve anonymity.

I hardly think naming people who have been banned from football grounds in the local papers is of any use and it would probably lead to legal action.

Do you support the naming of people who are barred from pubs in papers as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭GreenHorn

Bateman wrote:

Rapists and Child Abusers are given anonymity to protect the identity of their victims and families...

Advertisement