Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

three's HSPDA

• 23-04-2007 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭

Bought the new Nokia N95 the other week & I signed up for three's unlimited broadband option, the thing is I live in Dublin 18 (Sandyford) but I don't seem to be able to get a HSPDA signal or does anyone know if I have to config the phone for it? haven't been in Dublin city centre recently to test to see if I can get it there, anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MrB

How exactly do you tell if you have a HSPDA signal? Is it just when it says 3G by the signal strength indicator?
    I live in town and work in Dublin 18 so I can check in both places easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

I'm not entirely sure myself??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭easyontheeye

what has their customer care said?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

well I don't want to ring them about it because I bought the phone sim free & it's a bit of a grey area weather your allowed have a non 3 brand phone on their network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭easyontheeye

the hsdpa data service might have to be accessed through a different APN that might have to configured on the phone, do you know if 3 have a specific APN for GPRS, 3G, Hsdpa etc?provided you are in HSDPA coverage of course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

well I don't want to ring them about it because I bought the phone sim free & it's a bit of a grey area weather your allowed have a non 3 brand phone on their network
    you're not and you're not allowed use the phone as a modem either. not sure if you are doing that but just to let you know.

if there is an option to select HSDPA it'll be in settings->network, or it might be settings->phone settings->network.

you can tell if you have HSPDA coverage based on the speed. if its over 384kbps (48kBps) then its HSPDA. there might also be a logo like how the word 3g shows up under the signal indicator

edit: having checked its manual, i think the option should be in settings->connection->packet data and enable high speed packet access

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

you're not and you're not allowed use the phone as a modem either. not sure if you are doing that but just to let you know.

if there is an option to select HSDPA it'll be in settings->network, or it might be settings->phone settings->network.

you can tell if you have HSPDA coverage based on the speed. if its over 384kbps (48kBps) then its HSPDA. there might also be a logo like how the word 3g shows up under the signal indicator

edit: having checked its manual, i think the option should be in settings->connection->packet data and enable high speed packet access

First of all, you are allowed to have a non-three branded phone on Three's 3G network, that is not and has never been a problem.

In Ireland, you are allowed to use your phone as a modem: you are not in the UK with the X-series add-on.

HSDPA is enabled by default and is found exactly where you say: it's just a pity that an H symbol or something similar does not appear when connected to HSDPA, which in my experience, is not available everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Just say you have a V3xx....

culabula wrote:
    First of all, you are allowed to have a non-three branded phone on Three's 3G network, that is not and has never been a problem.
    then someone should tell that to the customer care person that told me otherwise
    culabula wrote:
    In Ireland, you are allowed to use your phone as a modem: you are not in the UK with the X-series add-on.
    as above

Agreed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 davidk

If you know anyone with a Samsung i600 it changes the signal icon from a 3G to a H if you've got HSDPA coverage. I'm on Vodafone not three and the H is a rare sight indeed around the city centre!

then someone should tell that to the customer care person that told me otherwise
    What else would they say in fairness. And since when have you taken their word as gospel Herr Vimes? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

For the crack I'll ring up Threindia and ask them does a non-three phone work on their network and when they tell me again that it doesn't I'll ask them how they can hear me then since I'm now using one.

I was on to thrinda last night for about 40 minutes giving out about an error on my bill... using an o2 XDA. We're safe for now... ;-)

I was using the n95 around the foxhunter in Lucan and the browsing was like lightening - a lot faster than at home. but perhaps it was a caching effect.

quintron wrote:
    What else would they say in fairness. And since when have you taken their word as gospel Herr Vimes? :p
    are suggesting that the mumbai customer care is anything but a highly trained team of professionals.???!!?!!?!?!?!??!?!? i am appalled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I think calling it "broadband unlimited", having the phone function as a modem then saying "oh by the way you are not allowed use your phone as a modem" is a completely misleading way of doing business and possibly false advertising!

I find 3 the most confusing and messed up company I have ever dealt with and I think I'll be leaving the network asap. I never know what I'm going to be charged for data, never know if I have unlimited broadband, if that means unlimited internet access or mobile browsing or what ..

It's too confusing!

No one from 3 has ever mentioned to me that I can't use my phone as a modem. If I get charged for it, I am not paying. I signed up for BROADBAND UNLIMITED. I can't see how that could possibly be confused with anything else.

Bunch of muppets!

Solair wrote:
    I think calling it "broadband unlimited", having the phone function as a modem then saying "oh by the way you are not allowed use your phone as a modem" is a completely misleading way of doing business and possibly false advertising!

I find 3 the most confusing and messed up company I have ever dealt with and I think I'll be leaving the network asap. I never know what I'm going to be charged for data, never know if I have unlimited broadband, if that means unlimited internet access or mobile browsing or what ..

It's too confusing!

No one from 3 has ever mentioned to me that I can't use my phone as a modem. If I get charged for it, I am not paying. I signed up for BROADBAND UNLIMITED. I can't see how that could possibly be confused with anything else.

Bunch of muppets!

I don't see what is so confusing: in the first place you are allowed to use the broadband add-ons and your phone as a modem. It is only in the UK that you are NOT allowed to use X-series as such.

If you have signed up for Broadband Unlimited then you have 2GBs of data to play with and it is unlikely that you will be charged any more than the 20 euro per month unless you go around downloading movies all the live-long day.

You can check your usage daily via Planet 3. Likewise, you can keep an eye on your current spend in the same area.

I have objected in another thread to their use of the words Broadband Unlimited -it IS limited to 2GB per month. On the other hand we KNOW this, it is clearly indicated on-site and it's now up to you to make sure that you don't go over this by responsible use of same. They expect that most people will only use it for mobile browsing hence the 'unlimited' epithet. 2GB is more than enough for mobile use.

They do refer to it constantly as 'MOBILE broadband'.

No-one from 3 has told you that you can't use your phone as a modem because you CAN -they have no reason to tell you otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

gotta agree with the last poster, 3 got too much S*** and you dont know what to make of it all, i mean all the ad ons and data crap.

and of course bills for 1,500e........

was talking to them sat, ohhh mr xxx we will ring you monday..

no call

today , no call.

so fcuk that, im not ringing them, if they dont call me by thursday i am going to drop a quick email saying bye bye and send all the sims back to them with a redundant data card.

will they have hold of my mobile number (ported from o2 to 3)? can i get my number ported back to o2 again anyone know?

3 cant bill me properly, no point stayin with em. i dont like being messed around with......;)

Solair wrote:

Bunch of muppets!
    you can do it and yuo won't be charged. you're "not allowed" but you can do it anyway

• Advertisement

legs11 wrote:
    gotta agree with the last poster, 3 got too much S*** and you dont know what to make of it all, i mean all the ad ons and data crap.

)

It's hardly a proposition for Wittgenstein!

In fairness to three, for mobile broadband use on the phone, the unlimited package beats offerings by the other operators by a long shot.

for me it suits as I can use my N95 wifi at home and work, the 3G during the commute and and occasional phone as a modem for the odd time. Suits you sir.

Advertisement