Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obvious question...

Options
  • 23-04-2007 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

Surely this has been asked before, but Im asking anyway.

Marvel or DC? And why?

Mines Marvel, Iron Man/Tony Stark - My introduction to the whole comic book world and a total dreamboat *swoon*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Jonesy3110 wrote:
    Marvel or DC? And why?

those are my only choices? can i answer nither? Oni and SLG are putting far more interesting stuff at the mo.

Jonesy3110 wrote:

Mines Marvel, Iron Man/Tony Stark - My introduction to the whole comic book world and a total dreamboat *swoon*

You'll have to fight Fysh for auld Tony, he claimed him first lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Marvel, I started reading Spider-Man in 1996 and haven't stopped. In fact, it's just gotten worst, I've started reading loads of other titles since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

I guess for me it'd be Marvel, never really followed DC - but since the whole Civil war disaster I've not really had much interest in any of the characters save for Spiderman and X-Factor...even Wolverine is hanging on by a thread.

The Vertigo line nearly always produces quality stuff, but it's not DC in the strictest sense i.e not in continuity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

out of those two id go to Marvel. DC havent done anything interesting in a while, bar ASS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

for quanity of good titles , it has to be marvel...look at thier line up now..the likes of runaway, astonishing x-men,etc.
    but for pure fantasic comics, it has to be dc.....eg. titles like batman:dark knight returns ,watchmen, all star superman, all star batman, batman:the long holloween, v for vendetta ,road to partiton etc.
    so proberbly marvel for runs of a comic, but dc wins,for the momerable mini-series'es/arcs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

marvel for me. mainly because i found the characters far more interesting . good point about the minis for DC but in terms of ongoing characters marvel wins hands down.
    the only DC characters i liked were firestorm and green lantern. both of which were relauched recently but i honestly couldnt stick with either of em. they were just handled apallingly. that said ive parred down big time on the titles i collect having come to the conclusion that theres feck all titles that are any good for any extended period of time. case in point : astonishing xmen. great comic but as soon as josh goes so do i. the time for being loyal to a title for me is long gone.

i thought whedon still had a few issues left?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

It's really funny all through the 90s DC were unquestionably the better company, with solid storytelling and really good artists, while Marvel were arsing around with lame events and the odd good story or great artist but nothing outstanding. Then Joey Q overhauled Marvel and turned it around cutting out most of the crap while DC decided to hire Dan Didio who is all but killing the company. Every awful idea that has come from DC recently has it's roots with Didio who is obviously just chasing sales and pimping the characters out to whatever Hollywood project is the most lucrative to tie in to.

nail on the head. Joe Q has been great and bringing Marvel back up to speed. AND he drew Azrael so he is god.

• Advertisement

bombidol wrote:
    nail on the head. Joe Q has been great and bringing Marvel back up to speed. AND he drew Azrael so he is god.

but a bit of a prick in person

ztoical wrote:
    but a bit of a prick in person

seems to be the general opinon

I'd well believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jonesy3110

You'll have to fight Fysh for auld Tony, he claimed him first lol

I would fight. Bring it on.

bombidol wrote:
    I'd well believe it.

well does it really matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

it does when he cancels a book you like because he doesnt like it.

i still miss X FORCE and that got canned because joey Q didnt like how dilluted the x books had become. been reading AVENGERS lately joe?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Briony Noh

Some of you will probably remember as I do the unexpectedness of the fresh air that Marvel blew through the comics industry in the 1960s. For the next couple of decades they could do no wrong. They had the best artists and writers, so obviously they were going to turn out the best characters.

Then the creative teams got a bit of freedom and worked for either of the two companies and DC started to reap the benefits of some solid story-telling. For a while, Marvel and DC were indistinguishable from each other. In fact, Miller's Daredevil looked for all the world like a calling card for Batman.

But the solid stable of characters is once again, I think, winning the race for Marvel. Try as DC might to re-vamp and re-write their big hitters, Superman is just the Man of Steel, Green Lantern was more interesting as Hal Jordan, as was Barry Allen as Flash. They've fixed it till it's broken, in my limited and ever-so humble view.

Marvel characters, on the other hand, without exception, began their careers with back-stories, well-defined like-em-or-loath-em characters and interesting qualities (and defects). You can't tamper adversely with something so nearly perfectly formed. Except, possibly, by having them get married, settle down and raise a family of cutants that save the day - that sort of thing should be left to the cartoons, all right?

So, perhaps DC is trying too hard to make their characters real - re-casting is always, always, always a mistake on TV, after all (Doctor Who isn't TV, it's Life), so why should it work in print?

Meanwhile, I tend to follow writers and artists, whichever company they work for.

So until somebody finally puts that damned 'until somebody does something highly unlikely' cliche to rest, Make Mine - I can't believe I nearly did that ...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

As mentioned above, Iron Man is for whatever reason one of the few superheroes I've any interest in. However, since Marvel seem determined to just mess with the guy (either through shoddy writing, hitting him with everything they can - come on, he's had shrapnel in his heart, alcoholism, a debilitating neurological disease, poisoned by the mind of Kang the Konqueror, what else is left? death? -, and then suddenly deciding to have him act like King Monkey since Civil War) I can't quite say I like Marvel for it.

There again, I don't read DC superheroes at all on a regular basis, so perhaps I should just be quiet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Briony Noh

Actually, yeah. The Iron Man story line just got waaaay too silly for me. Put him back in the grey armour, I say.

(Showing my age)

iron man imo has always been the best comic book charactor, too bad about the writing for the comics though

• Advertisement

Aww poor Iron Man :( " Come here tony I'll make it aaall better,You'll be safe with Jonesy "
    I like Iron Man way too much.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Yeah, but then you'd blatantly get threatened with death by an over-jealous glitch in the code that made it self aware, or kidnapped by Ultron or, I dunno, murdered with a fridge or something. Getting into a relationship with a superhero is a risky business.

Whereas I'd just, you know, borrow the armour for...erm, errands. Yes. Errands. Certainly not for any world-conquest plans or anything.

*tries to look innocent*

*fails*

*scarpers*

Jonesy3110 wrote:
    Aww poor Iron Man :( " Come here tony I'll make it aaall better,You'll be safe with Jonesy "
    I like Iron Man way too much.
    ''WHO am i?!Im the frikin IRON MAN!''

oops....wrong comic........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

I've really never got it with Iron Man. It's just a guy in a tin suit.

It's the character as much as the hero gimmick that got me - the character is this hugely flawed person, but he's a genius engineer and businessman who manages to keep himself rolling in cash and ends up building a world-class weapon system with which to try and do good deeds, because he feels he has to make up for all the evil done by other people using his technology. So you get this nice contrast between the armoured hero who is generally (depending on the writer) very powerful and extremely good at analysing his enemies to figure out how to take them down (but magically the superserum makes Captain America a better tactician than one of the, what, 12 most intelligent human beings on the planet? *pfffff*) and then there's the billionaire playboy human who's an alcoholic and has emotional problems stemming from his relationship with his father, as well as having had various physical problems.

I dunno, maybe it's just that I read the comics as a kid. But Warren Ellis's recent run was also very good, so I suspect it's more a case of what the character can be when he's written well...

I agree with Fysh 100% on this one :P I think Armor Wars is a really good example of how awesome and how much of a good-guy Iron Man is, he gets so messed up that his technology is being used for doing bad. I could go on and on about Iron Man, I'll just stop now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

How come Iron Man never does any ironing?

And why doesn't Batman dance anymore?

Shoop-shop-cheep-chop.

/dances out of thread

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Marvel for me, I think I first held a Marvel publication (1976 Iron Man annual featuring Man Thing afaik) back in about 1982.

How come Iron Man never does any ironing

Weird u say that, a while back I drew a picture on my bfs bebo of "Ironing Man" lol http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=929201343

• Advertisement

Earthhorse wrote:
    How come Iron Man never does any ironing?

And why doesn't Batman dance anymore?

Those who have seen Iron Man : Hypervelocity #2 know that Iron Man doesn't do any ironing because he's too busy programming his armor to emulate his consciousness so that it can dance.

(If you dont know what I mean, there's a livejournal community that has scans of the relevant page which will show up in google, if you search for something like Iron Man Hypervelocity...)

Advertisement