Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obvious question...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Jonesy3110 wrote:

Ir-on Man, Ir-on Man, does whatever an Iron can...
    Fysh wrote:
    Those who have seen Iron Man : Hypervelocity #2 know that Iron Man doesn't do any ironing because he's too busy programming his armor to emulate his consciousness so that it can dance.

Hmmm, that was...interesting.

I recently read Orson Scott Card's Ultimate Iron Man and thought it was pretty bad.

Can anyone recommend a decent place to start with this character?

As for the original question, DC have Batman but Marvel have X-Men. It's all about the writing though. Maybe at the moment Marvel are in the ascendant but give it time and it'll all swing back again.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Well, it all depends on what sort of introduction you want to the character. There's not a great deal of Iron Man stuff available in TPB format and the current Marvel thinking with the character has led to the phrase "irondickery" being bandied about to describe Tony Stark's mere presence...

Warren Ellis's "Extremis" is a decent reboot/introduction to the character, and is out in TPB for about 20 euro. The Armor Wars saga is also in print now as a TPB. I'd say between those two you'd get a decent idea of the character, plus the Extremis story has some utterly lush artwork from Adi Granov, particularly for the origin story...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Earthhorse wrote:
    Ir-on Man, Ir-on Man, does whatever an Iron can...

man...what does that page have to do with iron man.......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

man...what does that page have to do with iron man.......
    Jonesy3110 wrote:
    Weird u say that, a while back I drew a picture on my bfs bebo of "Ironing Man" lol http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=929201343

There you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Marvel or DC - its what you're used to i suppose but no contest for me.

I think Marvel always attracted the better writers and artists (Harlan Ellison, Stan Lee, Steve Ditko, Jack Kirby, Roy Thomas, John Buscema, Walt Simonson, George Perez, Todd McFarlane and many many more) and they don't call him Stan The Man for nothing.

Yeah, Batman is way cool but a total exception IMHO. Aquaman, Green Lantern...gimme a break. OK, Green Lantern is cool in a Captain Marvel kind of way but so what. Maybe I haven't read enough GL?

Your best test: the super-villlans: Doc Ock ,Red Skull, Green Goblin /Hobgoblin, The Destroyer, Loki are some of my faves (I am too modest to mention Galactus here). Also re-prints of the original "Tomb of Dracula" are well worth a look. On the DC side: uhh...The Joker is a bit freaky.

A funny on this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rp2f2OcCpQ&mode=related&search=

That said i have a good time for Supes and BM but The Avengers kick Justice League ass any day. Roll on Thor, Iron Man and the Avengers movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

galactus wrote:
    Marvel or DC - its what you're used to i suppose but no contest for me.

Your best test: the super-villlans: Doc Ock ,Red Skull, Green Goblin /Hobgoblin, The Destroyer, Loki are some of my faves (I am too modest to mention Galactus here). Also re-prints of the original "Tomb of Dracula" are well worth a look. On the DC side: uhh...The Joker is a bit freaky.

Seriously? Batman's entire rogues gallery are better than any Marvel villains. Lex Luthor is an archetype for bad guys. The Flash's villains while quite eh... colourful are usually sick, twisted bastards. The Justice League has far better villains than anything the Avengers have faced and don't need to keep relying on the same aliens/gods/robot.

I mean are Marvel's villains really that wonderful? Spider-Man alone has Rhino, Lizard, Scorpion and half a zoo following him around. Then there's Modok, Mojo, Typeface, The Blob, Mole man... Their list of ridiculous villains is as big if not bigger than any other company's.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

In fairness, a lot of the villains have the same problem the heroes do - fluctuating quality of writing. The Joker has, on occasion, been written as a fantastic nemesis for Batman, but other times he's just been a daft caricature of a person. I imagine this applies to a lot of the DC villains, tho since I rarely read the mainstream DC books I can't say for certain.

Marvel, though...Marvel struggles with decent villains. The Red Skull is one of the crappest villains I've ever seen (to the point where the villain revealed at the end of Nextwave was more convincing than he's ever been), and Modok/Modam were never properly used, but Dr Doom and Doc Oc have occasionally been written well enough to work as formidable rivals. The Mandarin has been used as a decent Iron Man villain a good few times, presenting a proper nemesis rather than just recurring enemy.

Loki is an interesting one, but I find Marvel's cosmic villains to suck fat hairy donkey. Galactus, Thanos, and all the rest of them They all suck. One minute they're practically invincible, the next minute someone basically kicks them in the nads and they're out for the count. Utterly and completely dull, and consequently renders the stories they're used in irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

hang on man. thanos kicked some serious arse in "the infinity gauntlet". in fact the villians are where marvel win hands down. ok supes has lex luthor. but who the hell else? when you look at spidey alone youve got doc ock, venom, lizard, sandman, electro etc. DC dont have anything to come close to magneto or apocalypse let alone phoenix. and thats before you get to doctor doom and galactus.

sad fact is compared to marvel DC's villians are abit lame.

but i do agree with the writing thing though.i always saw a good character in how i'd like to write em if i got the chance and how much they inspired me to come up with my own take on em. i liked iron man but for the life of me i wouldnt have a clue how to write the guy now. he's just been ****ed around too much. it reminds me of 90's xmen. it took ennis and whedon to remind me just what makes those characters tick so i reckon i could do something with em now but back then it was justl like "who the hell are you people now?".

still i did like the civil war thing, even if it feels like its just the staging ground for the next years stories of other books and reads a hell of a lot better if you buy the tie ins (got the new avengers civil war tie in. probably my last of that book seeing as i dont like any of the new new avengers) the cage story in particular was very good. which is some statement cause i dont like the guy. :)

No, Thanos did the usual thing in Infinity Gauntlet of kicking a load of arse, becoming hugely powerful, and then losing his gauntlet for no very good reason to someone who by rights shouldn't have been able to get anywhere near him...
    but there again this always seems to happen with the villains for both universes, you get a short stretch of any given character being interesting and well-written, then it all goes back to "Mwhahahaha, I have staged this elaborate bank job just to distract you from my real plan, to build an Interdimensional Tuning Fork with which I will make everyone in the world crap themselves!" or such like...

I'd say someone like Darkseid could be considered equivalent to Thanos, but I don't know or, well, care really. Fundamentally there's no single character from the Big 2 who's been consistently written well, and that in itself is a bit of a problem for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Fysh wrote:
    Snip..snip...snip...
    Marvel, though...Marvel struggles with decent villains.

Who dood, what parallel universe are you in / what are you smoking.

/ - respect = Fysh

;)

• Advertisement

Well, I'm reading the comics presenting a universe where the Red Skull can somehow, in a world that is suddenly concerned with realism enough to have the whole Civil War scenario play out, pretend to be a normal human being and be the secretary of defense of the usa.

What can I say? Every single marvel villain has, at one point or another, been crap. The nicest way I can put it is that, in many cases, the writing is "of its time" (where the time concerned involved absolutely no quality standards for writing in comics). But there's just too many crap villains in general for me to pick either company and say "this one's better". Spiderman has, as Murra pointed out, a friggin' menagerie chasing him at various points. Iron Man has had armored rivals named after most metals going. Captain America...well, let's face it, when you're a nationalistic character you're gonna get crap straw-man enemies that embody values your nation hates so he gets to fight incompetent nazis and communists. The fantastic four have Dr Doom, who's not far off being an evil analogue of Iron Man who, despite being a genius and having huge amounts of money available to amass an army with, never gets beyond controlling Latveria.

They're all just a bit crap. I mean, if even one of them ever lived up to the potential they're described to have, they'd be running the world. But no, about the most they can usually manage is to steal This Weeks Irrelevant MacGuffin (be it an Infinity Gem/Ring Of Power/Sphincter of Great Justice or what the hell ever), then have it taken off them by the equivalent of a four year old on a tricycle. There's only so many times you can read this sort of thing happen before you want to punch someone in the face, preferably Stan bloody Lee for having started off the whole bloody theme...

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

Oh I dunno, Magneto quite often lives up to the hype. But admittedly he's had some crap moments as well like turning good, then bad again, then good again, then losing his powers, then getting them back, then dying, then coming back, then turning good again, then leading the X-men, then turning bad, then getting indigestion...

Advertisement