Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

200 Euro bet that I won't concede a goal in a 5 minute match

Options
  • 23-04-2007 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

So I pulled out the big guns the other day and am now in a bet with a guy in college that he will not score a goal against me in pro evo in a 5 minute game. I have never seen him play but I feel i can take him anyway.

What is the best tactic for me to employ properly because all I need to do is keep a clean sheet, I don't have to win. Just prevent him from scoring...

What are my odds?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think you should play a very simple system, of

GK
    --CB
    CB
    CB----CB-
    --RB
    DMC
    DMC---LB-
    CM

Striker

Obviously, no offensive arrows.
    Now the key thing to remember is that he can't score if you have the ball. You should be able to keep control of the ball for a good 1 minute spell pretty easily, once you don't advance the ball.
    I'd play with Chelsea, and make sure, make sure, you play on green arrows. Red arrows will mean that they could score from one random shot.

If you play with Chelsea, you've got a pretty solid defense there, with a good strong midfield etc.

I'd play

Cech
    --Boularouz---Terry---Carvalho
    Bridge--
    --Ferreira
    Makelele--Ballack
    Cole----
    Lampard

Robben

I think with Robben, if you set his attack arrows towards each corner, just play a through ball, and kill for time in the corner.

Tell us how it goes, 200 quid is a bit of money :P
    p.s. Lots of people these days have played Pro Evo online, it's not like it was in PES5, so he could be fairly decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I will take that bet if its still going.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Yeh, play Offiside Trap Aggressively (+ select it in auto-strategy), maintain Backline aggressively, also similar to what PHB says, have at least one DM to help maintain possession, which is the best defence. And last but not least, big defensive arrows on those full-backs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Just keep passing it up and down along your back four (or 5 if needs be).
    It'll be tedious, but it can be done! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

5 minute games rarely see more than a couple of goals anyway. If you're half decent at defending and he's not really good at the game this shouldn't be too tough a task. The only thing making it tough is the pressure. Can you hold your nerve? Just stay alert and don't get sloppy.

If he plays 4 strikers just play off-side trap and you'll catch him out most of the time. From your tip hold onto the ball, it should be possible to maintain possession for the entire half. Just play with patience and try to avoid giving away corners. Maybe it's just me but it seems way easier to score from corners in 6 than any other version.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

Hey Let us know how this goes !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭the tipster

cheesedude wrote:
    So I pulled out the big guns the other day and am now in a bet with a guy in college that he will not score a goal against me in pro evo in a 5 minute game. I have never seen him play but I feel i can take him anyway.

What is the best tactic for me to employ properly because all I need to do is keep a clean sheet, I don't have to win. Just prevent him from scoring...

What are my odds?

pes is the worst game to bet in.it might make the game **** but all you have to do is put 5 at the back and just keep passing the ball around the defence.if you are good enough it will be very hard to get the ball back.ive done this in tournys and got booed or whatever but ive won alot of them.go 1-0 up and just keep passing around the defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Did you even get any odds for this bet??
    Best of luck with it though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

pes is the worst game to bet in.it might make the game **** but all you have to do is put 5 at the back and just keep passing the ball around the defence.if you are good enough it will be very hard to get the ball back.ive done this in tournys and got booed or whatever but ive won alot of them.go 1-0 up and just keep passing around the defence.

Exciting tournament :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

PHB wrote:
    I think you should play a very simple system, of

GK
    --CB
    CB
    CB----CB-
    --RB
    DMC
    DMC---LB-
    CM

Striker

Obviously, no offensive arrows.
    Now the key thing to remember is that he can't score if you have the ball. You should be able to keep control of the ball for a good 1 minute spell pretty easily, once you don't advance the ball.
    I'd play with Chelsea, and make sure, make sure, you play on green arrows. Red arrows will mean that they could score from one random shot.

If you play with Chelsea, you've got a pretty solid defense there, with a good strong midfield etc.

I'd play

Cech
    --Boularouz---Terry---Carvalho
    Bridge--
    --Ferreira
    Makelele--Ballack
    Cole----
    Lampard

Robben

I think with Robben, if you set his attack arrows towards each corner, just play a through ball, and kill for time in the corner.

Tell us how it goes, 200 quid is a bit of money :P
    p.s. Lots of people these days have played Pro Evo online, it's not like it was in PES5, so he could be fairly decent.

I don't know much about tactical stuff in pro evo but is there a way to put pressure on a defence with more than two players. By that I mean, if someone is constantly passing it around their back four and goal keeper, I can never get more than two players up there to try and get the ball back. Is there like a 'pressure' tactic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Think there is , however dunno if its for offensive or attackin purposes. I'd usually have it on auto like.

Is there like a 'pressure' tactic?

It's tough to be honest, whatcha have to do, and what I've done in the past, is set up two tactics, one which is normal, and the other which is normal, but with all of your players really high up the pitch, so that you have like a 2-4-4. When you do that, the players will push up more.
    Just set it to gameplan B, and then change back to gameplan A once they stop kicking it around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

So when is the match????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

id play as chelski definately

4 - 5 - 1

Cech

-Ferreira--Carvalho--Terry--A.Cole-

Essien---Makalele

Lampard
    --Robben
    J.Cole--

Drogba

cole and robben are fast enough to track runs from opposistion wingers to deny any crosses. Drogba can win any long balls up and can use his strength to hold the ball up. Essien & makalele can disrupt pretty much any movement down the centre.

Your best bet is just to keep the ball, dont let him come at you, just play simple neat passes and let him make the mistake of pushing at you too much. keep a cool head and try playing down the wings and use fancy dribbling once ur at his box to frustrate him further and give away fouls.
    The last thing you want to do is get all excited cos then ull make a mistake and it could cost ya 200 fat ones

Oh yeh btw, do not score, do not go into his box.

If you score, he gets the ball back.
    If you go into his box, it goes to a peno, and then he gets the ball back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

id say as long as plays causiously and defensivly he'll be fine you know.

just be sure of passing.. especially along the back four.. id play short passing around the midfield and wings..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

so did ya ever play this match or was it called off :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 rapp

i'd be reluctant to put a bet on like that even against a fairly bad player. pes6 is a bit too random for my liking. if he does manage to even get the ball theres always the risk of the AI breaking someones legs in the penalty box. Make sure your hosting the first half so u get kick off, youve a good chance of not letting him get the ball with his players on full stamina. eg ronaldinho with half stamina bar is a lot less deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Make sure that your side defenders are set positioned to CB so they dont advance up the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Hot diggity!

This 4 CBs malarky works freakishly well. Coupled with an aggressive offisde trap and back-line, i managed to concede no goals in 5 games against decent (>500) opposition. (Managed to nick goals on the counter too)

It works so well, that if one of the centre-centrebacks steps forward to make a tackle, the side-CB steps into his position to cover. Very cool.

But why does it feel like im cheating :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 rapp

yeah ive seen a lot of people use the 4 cbs tactic, it works too well so i put it down as another c0ck up by konami. the fullbacks need a major AI overhaul in fairness as do side midfielders.

Advertisement